We're very close to being a perennial contender

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Nov 28, 2018.

1. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Not suggesting that at all. And you Know that.
    Bell is going to be a poor signing for someone, all I'm saying is that signing 3-4 top FAs, is not just the way. Too many fans are throwing out scenarios where we sign Bell, Lawrence/Clowney, 2-3 o line man and playmakers. It's not possible and even if it we're, that means not being able to retain our own, this year, next and likely 2021, so we're left filling out the roster with players on league minimum salaries, not winning anything and back where we started . Winning the off-season doesn't translate to winning.

SOJAZ and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. TonyFtLaud

I just had a thought cross my mind while replying to another thread.
    The CBA will be expiring after the 2020 season, the cap will likely rise considerably, spending big in 19,and 20 could actually work out if that is the case.

Ralebird and NCJetsfan like this.
  3. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Not to be picky, but Crowell was never drafted. He was signed by the browns as an undrafted free agent Typical MacCagnan move--After Mac's draft picks flame out, he resorts to undrafted players from winless teams. Wonder why this team has so little talent on the roster?

4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree that Beacham is average at best, and I know he has an injury history. Still, can you imagine the Jets releasing him first, then signing Fleming or Henderson and then having the LTs they like in the draft getting drafted by other teams? Darnold and the Jets would be screwed. That would be an epic clusterfuck. If they sign Donovan Smith first, I'd have no problem releasing Beacham, but I think signing Fleming, Henderson, or Ogbuehi and then cutting Beacham would force the Jets to have to draft an LT. Then if they didn't get one they liked or at all, they'd be screwed. I'd happily replace Ijalana with Ogbuehi, Henderson or Fleming, but I doubt the Jets sign both, and they'd still need Qvale to backup Shell, unless they signed Ogbuehi because I believe that he can play either tackle spot. They can always release Beacham after they've signed Smith or drafted their new LT. They still will need an experienced, quality backup.

We'll have to agree to disagree regarding Powell. He's 30 and has an injury history, but he can still play at a high level, and the team has to have an experienced RB. IMO going into the 2019 season with a rookie, McGuire and Cannon would be nuts. Cannon has shown little or nothing, and McGuire hasn't shown a lot more. Tevin Coleman would be a nice part of a rotation, but I don't think he could carry even as heavy a load as Powell. I think the Jets should keep Powell, draft a rookie who can be a workhorse and who has some power, and then keep McGuire and Cannon and hope they can develop further. If Powell gets injured again during the season and doesn't finish the season on the roster, so be it. By that point, the rookie will have a season's experience, and hopefully, McGuire and Cannon will have stepped up their play.

With regards to the bolded above, yes, you did. You did that by suggesting that all those players would be gone. If so, they'll have to sign FAs to replace them.

I agree that the team can upgrade the talent level and that they can add several new faces, but I don't see 15-20 new faces. I think 7-10 new faces would probably be the max, because I think it probably would be unrealistic to expect all the draft picks to make the roster, and if Mac is back and has hired the HC, then I doubt that many quality FAs will want to sign with the Jets. If the Jets have hired a new GM and have an experienced HC, then I think we could wind up more new faces and a bigger upgrade of the talent level.

#84 NCJetsfan, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    tomdeb likes this.
  5. NCJetsfan

I think you're too carried away with your criticisms of Mac. He is not as terrible as you paint him. Crowell had some good seasons for the Browns and is a hard runner. That was something the Jets needed. As part of a RB rotation, he was fine. It was never intended that he would be the starter and workhorse.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

My bad, edited the post you quoted.

7. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

It's not going to be all that. I don't see Mac as a guy who will invest that much in just a running back when you can get one in rounds 2-5 that is very productive for very cheap. So the Bell $ can be spent on the O-Line and we can just take a Nick Chubb type elsewhere in the draft. It's not going to be a free agency frenzy but the Jets can shore up two major areas of concern through free agency alone, which is O-Line and pass rush. After that you have to figure Darnolds improvement and a better staff will also elevate the team as well as better injury luck with our receivers, Herndons improvement

NCJetsfan and TonyFtLaud like this.
  8. forevercursed

Exactly. He's giving us good production. He will probably run for 800-900 yards and pick up 200 yards receiving. Losing Powell to a season ending neck injury was devastating (all the while McGuire was still hurt and Crowell was playing hurt) we had terrible injury luck in the backfield.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

We have had terrible injury luck all around. It's been a very tough year as far as injuries.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. forevercursed

Mahomes and Watson here under the dopes that coach this team will be nothing like the Mahomes and Watson you see under Reid and O'Brien

SOJAZ, NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  11. forevercursed

It has and our lack of depth got exposed. Add to that the fact we have a rookie QB and a center who at best was supposed to be average, he got banged up and couldn't properly snap a football. Everything totally went off the rails

Maybe a great veteran QB and coach could've salvaged this season but we don't have either.

Trumaine Johnson got hurt and when he's played he's been uncharacteristically bad. Marcus Maye is a good player...in and out of the lineup all year. Injury wise it's been almost Met like.

We should not expect something like this next season. Though if it happens at least we'll have a somewhat more seasoned QB and better depth next year

Darnold going into Chicago with Burnett off the practice squad as his best receiver and a center who can't snap him the ball? What rookie QB is going to thrive like that?

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Season can't end fast enough..all I got to say

One Dope from the Control Room is pretty much out the door...only one Dope left and counting..

You guys can guess the future who we should take as players and all that talk is smart

We will read about what REALLY happens in March/April

tomdeb likes this.
  13. TonyFtLaud

It's not going to happen but I wish we would get the young guys some playing time to evaluate them. I'd like to see what Toth looks like at C, the young CB's, Burnett etc.

NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  14. Beachem i dont view as being reliable or dependable beyond this season. His injury history,the fact hes turning 30 & the price tag have me looking elsewhere.I understand your point about it forcing our hand as well as the risk but our hand is already forced w the current state of the OL.Additionally the cap savings applies as long as hes cut prior to June 1st. What that means is they could ultimately release him after the draft even if they spend the 8m prior to his actual departure.

Your right that i miscommunicated my point about the upcoming FA.They will absolutely go on a spending spree & need to.But we need to remain realistic about it. I see 2 premier FAs ala Bell/Lawrence perhaps 1 a notch below(Tyrell williams?) & then depth signings.6 or 7 new faces tops.This is about quality not quantity.

As for the players to be reupped?Other than Enunwa & Anderson theres really nobody thats gonna command significant cap space.And the ones who will try arent worth keeping.Frankly none of them are irreplaceable & id rather the team use the funds to bring in desperately needed high end talent(under 29 of course).Worst comes to worse we patchwork the bottom of the roster much like theyve done at the top for quite some time.Baby steps.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Sorry, have to disagree. I REALLY believe that over half the people on this message board could have drafted better than MacCagnan LOOK at his high picks in the drafts-- Devin Smith, Lo Maulen, Darren Lee (way overrated), hackenberg, Stewart, Hansen, Two OL drafted in 4 years in round 5, 4 DBs drafted in 2017 (?), and the TOTAL Dearth of talent on this roster--THAT is on the GM for the last 4 years. Just look at that roster that MacIdiot has assembled after 4 years--do you see anyone save Adams that could even be a pro bowl alternate? I don't.

As for Crowell, yes, he had one good game against the broncos, but he is nothing special. If I were a GM, unlike MacCagnan, I would not cherry pick from the winless Browns like MacCagnan did with QB McCown, RB Crowell, and WR Pryor (Cleveland before Washington). When you bring in several guys from winless/terrible teams, they are and they get "used to losing." I would try to get more players from winning/class organizations, not the Browns. IMO nobody LIKES to lose, but athletes from those kinds of programs, almost "don't mind losing" because they "are used to it." Frankly, Todd Bowles and MacCagnan fit this description too, because I have never seen either throw even a small fit with all this losing. McCagnan/Bowles, for example, should have been outraged that a Buffalo player fresh off the practice squad beat the jets $72M cornerback for a huge play on the first play of the game! Give me a Jim Mora coach/GM any day (playoffs?????!) and get me players like him who detest losing. It seems like every guy that McCagnan signs to a huge contract (Wilkerson, Fitzpatrick, Revis and now T. Johnson) just mails it in after putting his John Hancock on the HUGE contract MacCagnan gives them. It is MacCagnan's JOB to identify who is going to earn the money v. who will mail it in. More than any other year I can remember, the current jets team/approach seems to be a bunch of lazy, unmotivated players, who will likely end the year on a 10-game losing streak and couldn't care less. The current jets GM, coach, and players seem to me, anyway, to be used to losing, and at least for all appearances, not that pissed, disappointed, or surprised by their current record or effort. The jets playoff drought of almost double digit years seems to me that this organization is so unlike so many professional sports teams that get it. I think the jets really need wholesale changes at GM and coach. If you think Crowell was some kind of steal by MacCagnan, then Maccagnan is not as good as YOU paint him.

16. NCJetsfan

We're now in almost total agreement, my friend. I'd have no problem with their releasing Beachum if they already have his replacement on hand and solid depth. He's not all that, and is definitely upgradeable. I could be wrong, but think he is still better than Ogbuehi, Henderson or Fleming. I'd rather have Little of Ole Miss and Beachum at LT than Donovan Smith and Fleming (or Henderson or Ogbuehi). IMO if we do draft a rookie LT (and hopefully we will!) in the 1st round, we will still need insurance in case he isn't ready to play or struggles. I think that we need a solid backup who can reliably start, for the entire season, if need be. IMO that isn't Fleming, Henderson or Ogbuehi. IMO keeping Sam healthy and the pocket clean is MUCH more important in 2019 than creating a little more cap space so we can sign another lower level player or three at other positions. If we sign Donovan Smith, I doubt the Jets draft an LT in the 1st round. I doubt that we'd sign more than one LT, so who would backup Smith? As you said, he's only marginally better than Beachum, and if we sign him, we'll be committed to him for probably at least 3 years and a lot more money than we'd be paying Beachum next year to start or be the rookie's safety blanket.

I hope that they stay far, far away from Bell. He is too risky and too expensive.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

It's fine that you disagree, but you missed my point. There are very few posters that think Mac should stay. The overwhelming majority of us think he should go. No one is ALL bad. Even Idzik gave us Enunwa. Mac made some good moves as GM. He deserves credit for those. He's made enough mistakes. There's no need to make up more things or stretching things in order to pile on criticizing him.

Facts are facts. You're wrong about Crowell. As part of a RB rotation on a lousy Browns team, he averaged 780 yards (with a 4.2 YPC average) and 5 TDs per season. That's pretty good production, especially when you consider that the Brown's offense didn't have much else. In 2016 he rushed for 952 yards and 7 TDs. I never said that he was special or a steal. I just said that he was a decent signing to be part of the rotation, and not the terrible signing that you tried to portray it.

The very fact that you're trying to say that I said that he was a "steal" shows that you're irrational on this point and not looking at it fairly and realistically. Crowell is just a solid RB who runs hard with some power, something the Jets didn't have at RB. He was fine as part of a rotation for a year or two. Now if you had criticized Mac for not drafting a RB higher than the 6th round over the last 2 years, then I would have totally agreed with you.

18. For most other teams & situations i agree.But the jets have drafted skilll players horribly & have got to find a way to get significantly better on offense in all facets.

The line is a priority bc its become detrimental to overall success but this is a playmaker driven league just the same. I think its extremely important that a high end skill talent is added that Darnold can depend on.

That can come many different ways but one of the boldest is to bring in Bell. Other than that perhaps surrounding Sam w younger guys like Tevin Coleman & Tyrell Williams banking on them taking a next step is an option but theres a question mark w that

Another would be to upgrade the OL as much as possible via FA.2 starters 2 backups.Perhaps not the best OL but a clear upgrade & no longer a liability.Then on draft day they trade down & target skill players. I dont expect this to be a popular option on this forum:)

19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

I guess if you want to split hairs, You should have read my post more carefully--The last line of my post said IF you think Crowell was some kind of steal, then I don't agree. I never said that you said Crowell WAS a steal, and I never said you even think Crowell was a steal--I said If you think...and some kind of steal. I try to be a little more careful before I label another poster as irrational.

20. NCJetsfan

I'm sorry that I misread what you said. That said, in my defense, I think it ridiculous that you even said "if you think he was some kind of steal." I never said anything to even remotely suggest that I thought that. It wasn't just that comment, however, that made me think you were being irrational about Mac. You have made quite a few posts recently about Mac and imo every single one of them has been over the top, and your anger has been palpable. It's like he has done nothing right in 4 years and you're stretching to try to dig up more stuff to criticize him. You're entitled to your opinion and to express that opinion. I expressed my disagreement. I can certainly understand how the Jets can drive one to the point of anger, frustration and irrationality. I know that I've been there more than once, and think that many, if not most, posters here have as well. Carry on. No offense meant.