We're very close to being a perennial contender

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Nov 28, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You can't ignore that he passed on both Mahomes and Watson. He hasn't brought us anything. He had 2 potential franchise QB's fall into his lap, passed on both of them and was forced to trade up.

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I really appreciate your post overall, but this sentence is a bit weird.

We currently have a bottom quartile line with little in the way of young, undeveloped talent, no special chemistry to build from. We're going to have a brand new system and some new dudes, hopefully good ones, but they'll have to start from scratch.

And it would "shock" you if we're still bottom half of the league?

Ok. :)

Anyway, I really do love the optimism. Feels good man.

#62 twown, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 30, 2018
    Peebag likes this.
  3. twown

twown Well-Known Member

I should add that PFF's current OL rankings begin with this line:

"The Jets are another team that’s yet to get a real complete performance from their offensive line."

And people here are already calling Darnold another Sanchez??? smh.

Peebag likes this.
  4. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Draft the OT from Bama or a pass rusher. If we go pass rusher in round one, every other pick in the draft should be OL - throw shit at the wall into it sticks.
    Sign Fowler or another pass rusher
    Sign Bell
    Sign Tyrell Williams - doesn't seem like a big time signing, but this is a guy who can get behind the D and can actually win contested jump balls unlike Twig

FJF likes this.
  5. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

1. Sign Demarcus Lawrence. I genuinely do not care about the cost.
    2. Draft OL. Ideally, trade back and draft an OT.

Thats all I want.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Spot on. Hopefully, the Jets' GM (whoever that may be) doesn't even consider Bell, not only because of the financial/cap aspects, but because he is a tool and has a rotten attitude. We simply cannot afford him from any perspective. After not playing for a year, who knows how effective he will be, if he could be more injury-prone, or even how hard he would try on the Jets, especially if we have a rookie HC. If the team struggles early, his attitude could go south in a hurry and be a cancer in the lockerroom.

If neither Lawrence nor Clowney are available in FA, or if they refuse to sign with the Jets (which is highly likely even if they do make it to FA), then the edge rusher that the GM signs likely won't cost anywhere near $20 million. Nobody's gonna pay Shane Ray or Fowler, Jr. that kind of coin. It would be disappointing not to get one of those two, but could prove beneficial cap-wise which would make things easier to sign other FAs and to retain our own that must be kept.

Further, I think that our GM's priorities in FA should be as follows:

1. Edge Rusher (Lawrence, Clowney, Dee Ford, Anthony Barr, Shane Ray, Shaquil Barrett, Aaron Lynch)
    2. OL, be it C, OG or OT starters and/or depth (Donovan Smith, AJ Cann, Kevin Pamphile, Matt Paradis, or others)
    3. WR (Tyrell Williams or Adam Humphries, maybe Golden Tate)

If he's cheap enough and willing to sign with the Jets, perhaps Tevin Coleman, but I doubt that he is even a possibility. At RB, I think Powell needs to be re-signed, McGuire and Cannon will be back, and then draft a RB who can be a workhorse.

#66 NCJetsfan, Nov 30, 2018
    NYJetsO12 and TonyFtLaud like this.
  7. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

To begin with, Beacham will only be gone if they sign Donovan Smith or perhaps Cedric Ogbuehi and they plan to start him over Beacham. They aren't going into the draft with no viable LT on the roster. I doubt that they even pursue Smith or Ogbuehi, so Beacham will be back as the starter or as depth/insurance in case the rookie isn't ready or falters. I don't understand how you can possibly think he will be gone.

I don't think that some of the players that you list as questionable or "gone," will be gone. I don't think that Powell will be or should be gone. He can still play at a high level, isn't that expensive, and even if we draft a rookie to start, Powell would be great depth, and 3rd down back. They can't go into the season with McGuire, Cannon and a rookie. That would be insane. Middleton won't be gone. He played very well when Maye was out, so he will be back. Rontez Miles is a good back up and STer, so he may not be gone, either. The Jets will already have to replace 10+ of their own players in addition to trying to sign FAs to address needs/fill holes, so I think they will probably keep more of our present roster than you and others think. I think that it would be very difficult for any GM to have to try to sign 15-20 FAs.

They could gain $6.5 million in cap space if they cut Long, but then they'd have to replace him, which would most likely cost more and would create another hole, when they already have enough to fill. I'd rather have AJ Cann or perhaps Kevin Pamphile, but I'd be surprised if that happens.

IMO Harrison should be gone, and maybe Attaochu as well, but I would expect them to tender him and try to keep him as insurance in case they are unable to sign a quality edge rusher in FA. He could play a lot better under a better HC and DC.

Who is Toinson? Was that supposed to be Tomlinson? If so, you already have him at the bottom of the list.

8. Beachum is currently the second highest compensated player on the team, is average at best & has an injury history. Frankly I don't see him as a viable LT heading into 2019...at least not when we can save 8M to cut him prior to June. Can bring in the guys you mentioned who are marginally better..likely not cheaper though. Instead I target a Cameron Fleming or Seantrell Henderson;Perhaps even both considering Qvale/Ijalana will be gone. They will be much cheaper than Beachum, are younger w. some upside in Fleming's case, can be spot starters/safety nets pre draft & ultimately are upgrades over aforementioned Ijalana & Qvale.

I disagree with you about Powell. He'll be coming back from a season ending injury, he's over 30, he has a previous injury history & he's a physical player that engages contact. I'd be shocked if he's on a roster week 17 2019.By the time the jets turn things around he will retired. I LIKE the prospect of Mcguire, Cannon & a new face taking over the RB corps. Out w. the old in w. the new. Let's give the younger,cheaper healthier youngsters a shot to step up & become a focal point. That's what good organizations do. Beyond Bell a guy ike Tevin Coleman from the Falcons could be a sleeper w. alot of upside.

I've never suggested the jets were going to go on this drastic spending spree. All i'm saying is they'll have flexibility to improve the team & retain who they need to retain.I they really wanted to go all out they could though. The combined cap space of both 19/20 & potential shaving move of Beachum really empowers them. But thinking responsibly the goal is to improve the overall roster 1 letter grade. If the team does not go from the current C/C+ talent to at least B-/B the 2019 off season will be an astronomical failure. It's realistic,prudent & reasonable.

#68 KurtTheJetsFan, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2018
  9. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Kurt, I don't disagree with your assessment on Beachum's abilities but just because he's the second highest compensated player on this team doesn't mean he's expensive. Beachum gets a bad rap but I think he's better than the other guys on the line. He should be because he is paid more than them but he's fairly affordable for his position.

Obviously- if the opportunity to draft a cornerstone left tackle happens you jump at that opportunity, you would be stupid not to. But I wouldn't be against bringing Beachum back if that doesn't happen

10. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

jesus....and I was looking forward to the offseason....:(

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  11. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

Deep down, you know that won't happen.

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  12. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Don't forget Lamar Jackson.

13. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

Yeah, let's be ULTRA-positive today. You forgot to mention this:

Many of the Jets players who are having a horrible season are actually top tier players, but they are tanking this year for another top draft pick. Then, next year, they will all play at their best and the team will be launched into the Superbowl! CAN'T WAIT!

14. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Lot of the Jets issues come from a lack of good coaching here. I think the whole staff needs to go. This will happen at the end of the season.

Grab an offensive mind. I do think the Jets will go in a similar direction of what the Rams are doing, in hopes to get that 2nd year jump to what Goff did. Make no mistake, I do feel someone is getting pried from Chiefs/Rams tree to run this team (outside shot of LaFleur).

I don't think the players are that bad to be honest, but when you get outcoached it makes it seem worse then it is.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

That still leaves what 21 FAs to sign? Not nearly enough, and 2020s cap space doesn't account for any of the contracts signed this year. They will decrease the cap going forward.
    The reason we have so much cap room, this year and next is because there are so few players under contract.

16. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

We lost to the Browns ....who hadnt won a game in years.We are not close to being contenders.And then got blown out by the worst team in the NFL the Bills....One offseason and a new staff isnt gonna solve this.

SOJAZ and NYJetsO12 like this.
  17. Then i guess we should hunker down & not spend any $ at all??? I mean lol is that what youre suggesting? Over 200 m over the next 2 seasons but we’re cash strapped.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd like to spend it on Edge, WR, and OL depth. Maybe a young RB too. But as we see with Crowell, there's a reason they are let go by the team that drafted or signed them as a UDFA.

#78 CotcheryFan, Nov 30, 2018
  19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Chances of Lawrence being available are pretty slim.

20. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

And the Steelers tied (and should've lost) to the Browns week 1 before us...are they not a perennial contender each year. Look at the big picture

FJF likes this.