We're very close to being a perennial contender

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Nov 28, 2018.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We're not even remotely close to even contending for a wild card spot next year, let alone being "perennial" contenders. The only thing we're perennially contending for is a top 5 pick in the draft.

We have an organization that doesn't know what good coaching is and doesn't know how to properly evaluate talent. And there's no reason to believe that the first issue there will be corrected by hiring a new coach because Woody wouldn't know a good coach if one sat down next to him.

94Abraham, tomdeb and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Not gonna complain too much, not gonna sugar coat anything. Just gotta say that this year has been a disappointment for me. I enjoyed last season more. Yes, I am a Sam Darnold fan and I think his career AS A JET has a bright future, but I expected a little more. Maybe I'll see it in the last month of the season. The fact that we started off with a lot of hope, then sputtered but haven't really recovered has been a big let down for me. I know the sky is not falling, and that we are figuratively "on the up" because of Sam Darnold. I for one hope it turns around a bit before the offseason. I don't want to lose in order to pick higher. We will have a high enough pick - as usual. This year has sucked. There, I've said it. The Mets make me hope for the Jets season to start. The Jets make me anticipate Spring Training, Never-ending cycle of sh*t. Not nearly enough reward.

NYJFOREVER and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. I think my biggest disappointment w Darnold is that much like w Sanchez it doesnt seem like the rest of the team is behind him & much of the compliments garnered seemed forced. I get that respect is earned but every other team w a rookie QB seems to have some buy in from those around him to let them lead. It seems like this team would have preferred Josh Mccown or Teddy Bridgewater..which is sad.

I could see if Darnold was stinking up the joint but he looked great in TC,hes learned from his mistakes on gameday & had made some nice plays wno help around him.By all accounts this team should be behind him..i dont get that sense.

Is that a result of the lack of core & detached mercenaries? Is it the FO pulling strings behind the scenes & handed the job to Darnold?is it the defense first mentality in the building? Or is it that Darnold is bombing behind the scenes?

I expected more positive energy & buy in from Darnold’s teammates.What am i missing?

LogeSection2RowJ likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I haven't sensed any lack of buy in form his teammates, but I do sense a lack of buy in - or maybe it's just basic incompetence - from his CS. And while I would find it hard to believe that Macc isn't all in on him, I just think he isn't competent enough to know how to build a good supporting cast.

Again, Macc & Bowles must go!

NYJetsO12, tomdeb and JetsNation06 like this.
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I'm not getting any of this.

Literally.

6. Lol you never agreee w anything i say anyway!

Why even respond?Literally.

7. Rollo Tomassi

Are you kidding? I love your posts.

I just don't see a lack of buy-in from his teammates because the guy has been out a few weeks and the whole team was a shit show for the weeks prior.

They sure had buy-in in camp and after the Lions game.

Buy in comes from winning--Mayfield is getting it because of his personality but more because he's winning. Rosen is getting buy in? Allen? Rudolph? Falk? Lamar is getting buy in because he's flashy and winning, but is that because of his leadership or because he's shown some flashes?

8. Rollo Tomassi

I agree with this.

See?

9. I agree about winning being the ultimate buy in. But w the exception of Allen in Buffalo ive seen & heard alot more buy in for Mayfield & Rosen. I just thought by this point in the year Darnold would be the unquestioned face & future.From a fan & marketing standpoint that remains true..but not from the players..thats been disappointing.

10. KWJetsFan

KWJetsFan Well-Known Member

There are just so many needs, question marks and glaring holes in this organization and team. We are nowhere in the general vicinity of being perennial contenders.

tomdeb, NCJetsfan and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  11. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You missed the most glaring short fall of all. Incompetent coaching. Fix that and this team is quite a bit better than what you think. At least three more wins.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I never bought into the 2019 bullshit narrative. That was just nonsense to placate a restless fanbase but not rooted in reality. Too many holes and not enough brains in the FO to fix this shitshow in 1 offseason. Especially with signings like TJ making me really fearful Macc is gonna find a way to fck this up almost as bad as Idzik fckd 12 DP's into 1 remaining player. $100m is meaningless unless you have the smarts and guile to turn that cash into tangible results. Anybody can waste $100m if they don't know what the hell they're doing.

One last thing... Charlie Casserly I hope never gets another sniff at an NFL team in any capacity whatsoever.

ColoradoContrails and tomdeb like this.
  13. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Nice try, but this team will never be a one-year contender, much less perennial, until they fire BOTH Coach Toilet Bowl and GM McFlush. They BOTH have had four years and the jets are worse than when they took over. This team is regressing under them, not improving. A change at both coach and GM would make a big difference and would even energize the base. I literally approach every jets game thinking they will lose (and usually they do).

14. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Frankly though, I don't know how much blame Macc should get.

I know I've been pretty harsh on him in the past few weeks, but remember that he only does the shopping. And he does the shopping at the request of the cook. He doesn't draft in vacuum. To think the draft picks are [all] his fault is more than absurd. [Yes, I agree that he could have done better - that's not the issue here.] And the cooks - a.k.a the coaches - are absolutely dismal to put it lightly. Maybe Mac sucks at evaluating talent - he does have some hits, both in FA and in draft, to his credit however - but when the cooks are an absolute shit show, would the quality of draft matter that much?

On top of that - look at the coaching selection. [Yowsers]

I cannot, for one second, blame Macc for the dismal selection of the coaching staff, heralded by the luminaries, such as Jeremy Bates, Kacy Rodgers and et al. They are NOT on Macc's blame list. That's SQUARELY on the Public Moron #1. And maybe, JUST maybe, Johnsons - especially since they all work for Johnsons consequently.

===================================================

While it's true that Mac's winning percentage is pretty low, know that other GMs didn't have to suffer the stupidity of Todd Bowles either.

So here's a small hoping - if Johnsons get a clue somehow (I don't bet on it) and replace Bowles with somewhat functional offensive mind, maybe this team has a puncher's chance next year. Mac did bring us a franchise QB and that has to count somehow as well.

15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Just want to pick on your claim that Mac brought us a franchise QB. He brought us a promising young QB who hasn't had a good rookie year. Whether Darnold turns out to be a great QB, a decent QB, or a bust is yet to be determined. So for now, the pick doesn't count as a positive or a negative.

tomdeb, Cman68 and Ralebird like this.
  16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

They won't be able to sign a top edge rusher, Bell, o line , play makers and depth.
    Bell alone if signed is going to be in excess of 20 million , year 1, top pass rusher 20 million plus, with 30 current free agents of our own to sign, or upgrade, that money will be gone very fast. Also those big signings will hinder future contracts.
    People are way overestimating how far the $96 million will go.
    Q is going to get around $10 mill if not more, Anderson $4 million, $10 million to the draft class. So 40 million plus for Bell and edge, 24 for draft class and Q/Anderson. (64 million)
    Let's pretend Mac hits on every draft pick and they are day 1 starters, that leaves 20 FAs of our own to resign or replace and $32 million to do it. Not getting even avg players at that price. Plus you have to carry over cap space for emergency signings etc.
    This team is more than 1 offseasoff away.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  17. According to over the Cap they have 106 million in cap space for 19 which does include the cap savings of 8 million if they part w Kelvin Beachem. Beyond this they currently are projected to have 128 million of space for 2020. W some proper contract allocation there will be plenty of flexibility.

As for players being re signed.alot of that has sort of worked itself out & there arent a ton of keepers esp w hefty price tags.

Enunwa(Doubt he gets 10/yr w injury history)
    Anderson(Restricted)
    Claibourne
    Martin
    Copeland
    Andre Roberts
    Daryl Roberts
    Luuvu
    Mclendon
    Henry Anderson
    Meyers

Middleton(?)
    Jonathan Harrison(?)
    Attaouchu(?)
    Long(?)

Mccown(gone)
    Qvale(gone)
    Ijalana(gone)
    Kearse(gone)
    Carpenter(gone)
    Skrine(gone)
    Powell(gone)
    Toinson(gone)
    Doozier(gone)
    Miles(gone)
    Tomlinsongone)

Theres really not a whole lot of hefty proce tags on the players worth re-upping w the exception of Enunwa (7M/yr?) claibourne(8.5 M/Yr?) & Anderson(7M/yr?).And at the very most 15 players worthy of reupping.

So take your 64 million set aside for Bell/edge/enunwa/Andersin/draft class from 106 that still leaves 42 million for 15 or so marginal level depth signings before even considering The potential Beachem savings (8 million)or the massive flexibiity 2020 provides.in terms of contract structuring.

While i never suggested the jets could go on this unheard of spending spree theyll be able to add top flight players w additional options if preferred free agents consider this a desirable destination

#57 KurtTheJetsFan, Nov 30, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 30, 2018
    ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  18. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Perennial contenders to be the Mayor of Shitsville maybe.

KWJetsFan likes this.
  19. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I probably would have just said the jury is still out on Darnold...:)

20. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

I think Darnold has shown flashes of being a real good QB but like you said it takes time. Being an NFL QB is the hardest position to play in sports IMHO. Learning the offense, learning how to handle NFL defenses. The speed of the game picks up from college to the pros. Remember Elway struggled his rookie year and Peyton throw 28 INT"s his rookie year. The Jets have a lot of work to do before being a contender. So far 0-4 in the division this year. Mac and Bowles need to go.

tomdeb likes this.