We're very close to being a perennial contender

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by forevercursed, Nov 28, 2018.

1. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

I'm a pessimist too but the level of pessimism exhibited by most Jets fans about our future is almost too extreme for me. We are an offseason away from being legitimate NFL contenders. I'm not talking about a stepping stone 7-9 or 8-8 season either. But 10-6 and above.

Bleak was late season 1989. Bleak was the firing of Carroll and hiring of Kotite. Those were murky, uncertain futures facing those teams. Right now we're about to enter at least a 4-5 year window of opportunity. This is more similar to the 2007 offseason.

We still have Sam Darnold. He was thrown behind a bad and banged up line with receivers who dropped like flies. He has a poor coach and a poor OC. But overall he has shown far more promise in year 1 than I ever saw from Sanchez or Geno in terms of smarts, work ethic, media savvy, leadership etc. As a 2nd year QB a lot of the mistakes he's made will be worked out, and he will have the benefit of a better coaching staff (because it's almost impossible to get more incompetent than we are now) We've seen this before from Goff and Trubisky and the like. Sam will make that 2nd year jump

Our cap situation heading into the offseason isn't just good, it's great. We'll have the ability to bolster many aspects of the team. Plus we're entering a draft year that's full of great pass rushers. Imagine we snag a Clelin Ferrell and then add a good free agent pass rusher to the mix. The whole complexion of the defense changes. Plus factor in guys like Maye and Adams entering their primes. Also don't expect Trumaine Johnson to repeat a season like this. He's better than this.

Our O-line can be retooled by a combination of draft and free agency. It would shock me if we don't have at worst a league average offensive line next year.

Our receivers were not bad heading into the season but have been completely decimated by injuries. To the point Deontay Burnett was out there. You have to admit we've had some freaky rare bad luck regarding receivers injuries. Unfortunately there aren't any top receivers who will become UFA's this offseason but I foresee Mac signing someone like Funchess or Tyrell Williams or Adam Humphries (though we know Humphries has New England written all over him) Also perhaps we take a risk and trade for a top receiver in addition to the UFA signing. This will radically transform the receiving corps and give Darnold the weapons he needs

Look at how young this team is, look at the cap space, look at the QB, look at the draft, look at the talent we already have with guys like Adams, Maye, Herndon, Enunwa etc. Just Because Bowles is ridiculously inept doesn't mean our timeline to compete has been set back. This is not a 3-8 team. We should be at worst 5-6 right about now. Once we snag a quality coach you'll see what kind of impact it will have.

Ride this out. It's not much more to go. 2019 and onward will be a very exciting and enjoyable era of Jets football

#1 forevercursed, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  2. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

I am wondering what @statjeff22 will say when he sees this thread? Haha.

Definitely optimistic by @forevercursed! Hopefully you are right. One thing we do know is the Jets will be completely different in 2019. New look, new jerseys, new logos, new Head Coach, and many new players. Darnold will be the star of the offense, Adams will be the star of the defense, and the rest is truly up in the air.

BudJet, K'OB and HomeoftheJets like this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

If we don't get a new, offensive-minded HC, none of the other things matter.

boozer32, K'OB, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  4. forevercursed

Totally forgot about the uni's but I think from a psychological sense it will help in a turning the page type of way.

This year had to happen. Flushing out Bowles and Rodgers and this crud staff had to happen. It would've been worse for our future if we stumbled to to 7-9, 8-8, 9-7 with Bowles being as bad as he is now but just getting a bunch of lucky wins (like 2015) 2018 is a bitter pill but it will be the last one we have to swallow for a while in terms of fielding competitive teams

#4 forevercursed, Nov 28, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2018
  5. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I picked the wrong day to stop sniffing glue.

6. forevercursed

We absolutely will. A coach who understands how to win in this era is absolutely on the way. Someone with a philosophy similar to that of Bowles will not even be interviewed.

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  7. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

From your lips to god's ears.

8. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think you have a pretty good idea! I see a whole lot of predictions and hopes, with very little evidence to support them right now.

Your post, on the other hand, is much more understated. You're absolutely right about lots of things being new, which means no one has the slightest idea how they will turn out (we don't even know what they are at this point). I agree with you that Adams will be the star of the defense; he has shown more than enough in less than two seasons to think that. I also agree that Darnold will be the leader of the offense, but to say he will be the star is to me totally unwarranted now. He simply hasn't been very good this year, and all of the statements that a new coach, a new line, etc., etc., will magically make him a star are just hopes (the reason everyone is so amazed about Goff is because what happened with him is the exception, not the rule). Hey, maybe he'll come back on Sunday and put together 5 solid games in a row to end the season; if he does I'll revise my opinion. Until then I remain hopeful, but unconvinced.

NCJetsfan and The Dark Knight like this.
  9. forevercursed

That's fair. And I can't argue with it. Lord knows we've had enough teases at the QB position over the past decades. With Darnold I just don't see the same limitations as I saw with Geno, Chad, Sanchez. It is very tough for me with his physical and mental makeup to see him outright failing. I think at worst he'll be average. No worse then Andy Dalton. You almost never see guys like Darnold just fall flat on their face and bust

PJ4Ever and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

A Passrusher in free agency like who? We need 3 to 4 OL, a great running back, a 1 receiver, CB, we are light years we can chat in 2020 bud.

94Abraham likes this.
  11. forevercursed

There will be plenty of pass rushers available in free agency 2019. Clowney, Ansah, Frank Clark etc.

You don't need a great running back to win in the NFL these days. That said we may be getting Le'veon Bell. A 1 receiver will likely not be available this offseason but we can still get a good one in Funchess or Humphries

I think we're getting 2 upgrades on our o-line. 1 through the draft and 1 through free agency. I don't think they'll add anybody at corner

We also have a chip in Leonard Williams who we can deal in order to obtain a draft pick that can net an offensive lineman or WR

12. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

We're very close to being a perennial contender...for the top draft pick!

13. Jets69

Jets69 Well-Known Member

Jesus put the bottle away.

94Abraham, JetsNation06 and Cman68 like this.
  14. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Hiring a competent coaching staff will go a long way in the development of this team... it all starts there.

15. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

While everything forevercursed said is great, the situation is still bleak to me. All of these points are great, if even some of them happen, but right now they are just potential. We’ve all seen what the Jets can do with potential. They’re just as likely to eff it all up.

I always try to be optimistic, but there are times when they just wear you down. For right now, I need to step back for a little while, and take a breather.

16. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

17. cgrec

cgrec Well-Known Member

The good thing about the nfl is that teams can go from bad to good quickly if they know what theyre doing.

The bad thing is the jets dont give us reason to believe they know what theyre doing.

PJ4Ever, jixxjr, NY Jets68 and 9 others like this.
  18. Beki

Beki Active Member

Jets one year away from being NFL contender...let's take a look at our roster before:
    - do not have quality running backs
    - our OL needs to be re-tooled
    - no playmakers on offense, no WR1
    - no DL depth, we can say Leo is above average and Anderson average
    - no CB2 and CB3 (+ not mentioning how far TruJo is from being CB1 with his current performance)
    - no edge rusher

This Jets roster is a mess with little talent. Maccagnan will be having his 4th offseason with top6 pick and huge cap space.

19. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I think with a new coaching staff in place next season, that will go a long way in determining where this franchise is heading for 2020. Until then, this roster is completely bereft of what any objective person would call top NFL talent. Right now there is one player, Jamal Adams, that's performing anywhere near the top of their position - sad but true. Henderson is performing well, but he's not a game-changer. Can a new coaching staff maximize players like Darnold, Williams, Lee, Quincy, and Herndon? We shall see, but right now, I don't share the OP's optimism...

20. jets12

jets12 Active Member

As long as Mike M. and the Johnson's are part of the Jets organization we are perennial contenders for the top pick in the draft each year.

Stop drinking the Kool Aid it is now 50 years old.

tomdeb and JetsNation06 like this.