Becoming a Casual Fan

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by barfolomew, Nov 25, 2018.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

Mangini was far from the only person to ever have gone to Cleveland and fail. With the exception of Hue Jackson, who was all-time bad at his job as their HC, I don't really hold anything that happens in Cleveland against a coach. They're like the Jets, in that ownership is a huge part of their problem. The San Francisco thing is what it was, a failed season under a terrible HC in Chip Kelly after having been out of the game for a while. The 49ers were a mess when he got there, so it's not like he sank their ship by doing a bad job there.

Regardless, though, of what he did outside of New York, he built the Jets into unquestionably the best team they'd been since 1998. We saw what that roster was capable of as they reached the AFC Championship game twice with Rex Ryan of all people as their HC. They were, prior to Favre's injury, looking at a potential first-round bye in the playoffs in 2008. At the very least, things were trending up considerably. Johnson gave Rex year after year of subpar play and has done the same for Bowles, yet Mangini had to go after a season with a winning record?

Not saying Mangini would have led us to the promised land either, but we were much, much better positioned during his tenure to do something than we'd been before or since under Woody's leadership.

HomeoftheJets and barfolomew like this.
  2. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

You all have a point about Rex succeeded with Mangini's guys, but I'm not convinced Mangini would have done as well with them as Rex did for those first two years. Maybe he would have, we will never know. I do hope Magini gets back into coaching though.

3. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Mangini got the boot after a wild card second place and two seasons in third place. He did that with Tannenbaum's guys, not his. Ryan then took those Tannenbaum's guys to the Conference Championship twice. How does Mangini get credit for the groceries somebody else bought and somebody else cooked?

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

The theory is that since Tanny's drafts got worse after Mangini left, Mangini was responsible for the good drafts.

5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Same theory that the team loved playing for him?

6. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I find my fanhood changing pretty dramatically. For decades I was an NFL nut--I watched every game I possibly could, watched everything NFL Films put out, read coach and player biographies, you name it. With the rules changes over the last few years, I have really lost interest in the NFL. These days I watch the Jets game, if it's on, or half-follow another game if it isn't, and maybe watch either the Sunday or Monday Night game, but not both. I'm hopeful the Jets get good at this NFL game because I love/hate them out of habit, but I think the NFL stopped playing football at some point, and this is something else.

Not sure where that puts me on your list.

RPOZ51 and barfolomew like this.
  7. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

At least with Mangini the players had discipline take a look at our players now? Darron Lee would have been cut already if Margini was the coach.

Peebag likes this.
  8. RPOZ51

RPOZ51 Well-Known Member

I am following the same path. I've been a fan since I was 11, in the season leading up to SBIII.

I was once a rabid fan, season ticket holder - the works, but I now find myself steadily losing interest.

I didn't watch the game at all on Sunday. I had stuff to do. It's on my DVR, but I'm not sure if I'll even go back to it.

The Jets did give me a lot of fun memories. They always used to be good enough to at least give you some hope, but it's not that way anymore.

I thought it was just me getting old, and tired of the futility. Maybe it's a little of both.

Times like this make me think of Leon's famous quote, "I'm 80 years old and I want results now."

9. Peebag

Peebag Well-Known Member

But there was hope - I never thought that this was a playoff team. I just wanted this team to learn from past mistakes and grow. Eek out an upset, play tough.
    But instead, they've quit in a lot of games this year. Absolutely did not show up.
    That's unforgivable in my mind.

10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We should start a list of other teams to root for.

You know...one's where they actually play football.

'Cause what the Jets are putting on the field ain't it.

11. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

If I recall half of this board was calling for Mangini's head by week 12 of that season - even though our losing streak had more to do with Farve throwing constant high risk passes that became INTs in key moments of games. Mangini did draft well but he was slowly losing the locker room because we had such an undiciplined team (perfect for Rex) and he was a strict coach. He had no personality and players couldn't relate to him. Our implosion at the end of that season just brought things to a head.

But during that season, I'll submit now that Farve purposely didn't want to go to the post season. He used the Jets like an off season workout to stay in game shape, preparing to go to his true love - Minn. He wanted the season to end. Injury BS aside, he just screwed around every Sunday at the end like he was playing at the park.

It always irked me because in order to sign him he demanded that we release Chad because he didn't want to compete with Chad in training camp. Thus Chad went 11-5, won the division, won comeback player of the year, is only non Patriot QB to win the division on the Tom Brady era. And he did it for the Dolphins who were probably less talented than the Jets that season. Mangini aside - screw Brett Farve.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. johnny

johnny Well-Known Member

"Play like a Jet ... whatever that means." :-(.

13. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

The Jets were 8-3 after week 12 and Farve hurt his shoulder In the next week or two but still played through it. That was a sure fire playoff team if Favre was 100%. I’m really not sure what you’re talking about. I think you have the seasons or coaches confused or something.

14. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

No it happened just as I posted. Yes we were 8-3 - and finished 9-7, mostly because of continual Farve bonehead interceptions in the last 5 games. In fact the one game we won down the stretch against Buffalo we should have lost because terrible Farve INTs The only reason we won was because Buffalo, instead of taking a knee and running out the clock, handed the ball off and fumbled. Sean Ellis returned it for a last second TD.

Farve wouldn't travel with the team, wouldn't dress with the team, barely saw them except on the field (though apparently he liked our trainers). For that we threw away Pennington? Screw that mystery injury which he never admitted to until after the season. That is no excuse for making dumb decisions with the ball every week during the playoff run. He tanked the season because he wanted didn't want it to go into January.

#54 ouchy, Nov 27, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 27, 2018
  15. JetLife5

JetLife5 Member

2015 and 2016 definitely broke me. I've become a lot more casual since then. I used to go to multiple games pre-2016 and watch every game every week but I just don't do it anymore. The ineptitude of this organization has finally broke me. I still love the Jets, I'll tune in most Sundays, but there's just some weekends (especially dogsh*t seasons like the last two) where I won't waste a Sunday on them.

16. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

It's amazing how the Jets can suck the life force out of it's fanbase.

We're like abused spouses that won't leave.

I can't quit you baby!

Cman68 and CotcheryFan like this.
  17. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

18. rockyusmc2003

rockyusmc2003 Well-Known Member

Very therapeutic thread to read. This is why I still enjoy coming here to read the forum. If you ever feel this place has become a cesspool, go read Facebook groups and you'll come right back. I can't even ironically enjoy those groups anymore.

{This is where I stand up and say my name} - I still have season tickets, and after the 2nd game this year I really stopped caring as much as I used to. Every year I would watch tons of college football in preparation for the Jets dismal draft the following year. I didn't watch 1 down of college football this year, and I feel myself losing steam for this team.

This coaching staff (FO as well) has taken the wind out of my sails. It's like I went from having an ex-wife who wanted to do nothing but party and blow to my current wife who reads books while listening to elevator music. Thanks for listening.

19. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

I still follow a mantra I learnt many years ago

"Win or lose - must have booze".

Its worked for me following the Jets over 30 years and following Sheffield United for even longer.

Jets fans should take up the mantra!

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

rockyusmc2003 likes this.
  20. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

I hear ya. Losing wears you down for sure. But having a stadium half empty is how you get these trust fund babies attention. They don't look at wins and losses its all about money for them.

barfolomew likes this.