The case for Sam not playing anymore in 2018

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 14, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

If his mental fortitude is such that losing games his rookie season is going to learn how to be a loser then he’s not the guy we want and he’s not the guy I watched at USC and into the pros.

He’s going to take losing and learn from it all right.

It’s going to make him better, tougher.

2. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I remember a former Colts/Broncos QB who went 3-13 in his rookie season. He ended being pretty good.

3. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

and that means what.. Sam Darnold can POSSIBLY be that good a QB down the road..

4. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It means he can become better after the lumps he's taken this year. I know you're a darksider and need to see it to believe it.

5. Cman68

Yep.. What doesn't kill Sam will make him stronger...Just hope it doesn't kill him first..

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The Cowboys' average score was 11.5-24.8 in Aikman's 0-11 starts, and the Colts' average score was 19.4-27.8 in Manning's 3-13 starts. The Jets' average score is 22.0-23.7 in Darnold's 3-6 starts. At least on those measures, Darnold's Jets are doing much better than either Aikman's Cowboys or Manning's Colts did.

7. Cman68

Not the same rules as yesteryear. Its barely the same league. If the defense were allowed to play the same way today as 20 years ago, those numbers for the Jets would certainly be a lot lower given the talent on the offense vs the defenses they would likely face. Just not good to compare modern football with the old days.

8. statjeff22

You were the one who asked the question, not I. The Jets have been far more competitive than either those Cowboys or those Colts were. Under the old rules the Jets would be scoring less points, and would be giving up less points, so that has nothing to do with the question. The fact is that no one in their right mind could have possibly thought that Aikman would turn into a HoF quarterback after his first year, and it would have been easy to accuse the Cowboys of "ruining" him by playing him on a monumentally bad team, especially since he was pretty bad the next two seasons, too. That has nothing to do with Darnold, but it's still true.

9. Cman68

I asked what the board thought of not playing Sam the rest of the season. I don't think its a good idea. The kid will learn how to deal with losing. There's no doubt of that. The question actually is, can Sam stay healthy long enough to survive this "rebuild". The Jets can play Sam at their own risk OR they can put better talent overall on the offense and then play Sam. Sam may not be taking the smashing David Carr took, but as Alex Smith can attest to, it only takes one big hit. The kid is only 21. No need to rush anything.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. statjeff22

I really don’t care, but I quoted the post I responded to, where you asked if those teams were competitive, claiming that it’s not good to get your ass handed to you every week. I showed you that they weren’t competitive, yet Aikman and Manning turned out fine. Personally I think football players play football, so I doubt he’d be too happy about sitting. If he’s healthy I’d be shocked if he doesn’t play, at least until mid-December. This injury has provided the mental reset many people thought he needed, so I expect he’ll play.

11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Players don't work on mechanical issues when playing. That would make them have to think too much, and would slow them down and interfere with execution of the plays. If Darnold still has mechanical issues, they need to be worked out during practice and on the sidelines, not on the field during games. We see evidence of this every year. Young players don't play up to potential because they're having to think too much about mechanical issues or what their responsibilities are on a play. Players have to have all that stuff worked out and be free to react and let their instincts take over.

NYJetsO12 and KurtTheJetsFan like this.
  12. Rollo Tomassi

This is true of every single player in the league on every play.

Alex Smith is 34.

Age is not a factor. I’d hazzard to say Sam is less likely to have that kind of injury because of how well he moves around in the pocket.

13. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Talk about nitpicking. I guess our players aren't allowed to be human beings, smile a little bit and laugh? Do you want Sam to walk around and throw stuff on the sideline and scream at his teammates? I'd be more concerned if he was doing the latter.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

The more tape he has on his play, the more he will be able to watch and improve. Let the kid see NFL defenses, it's not like he's being sacked at David Carr levels. Him playing will only be beneficial to him, we just need to get a damn offensive mind in the building.

15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

That's assuming Darnold cares about losing. If it doesn't bother him he won't learn from it. When the rest of the team doesn't care either way, it's natural to rub off on the 21 year old rookie

16. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I am not against starting Darnold with this steaming pile of shit OL.

But starting Sam with the OL under the tutelage of RICK DENNISON? Oh fuck no.

What has he ever done to show he is capable of his job? His SB 50 ring was 100% due to his defense lighting it up. His OL provided paltry protection, and even Peyton Manning had hard time finding that TWO FUCKING SECONDS in the pocket. ALL GAME LONG.

No. Fire this moron AND Bates. The offensive coaching change is a MUST before starting Sam ever again.

17. Rollo Tomassi

What in the entire universe of what we've learned about Sam from his college play to his predraft workouts to his drafting by the Jets and all stories about his childhood and upbringing afterward and his play so far would give you any indication that losing doesn't bother him?

Seriously.

And when you say "the rest of the team", are you assuming "the rest of the team" doesn't care either way?

Geezuz fuck.

CotcheryFan and Jets_Grinch like this.
  18. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

geezuz fuck. yup. These guys on this Jets roster don't care if they win or lose. You can see it on their faces, their body language. The post game interviews. The way they sit out with any and all small ailments.

Darnold may not have grown up like that but you are new on the job and you see everyone else like that, its easy to think that's how things are in the NFL.

19. Rollo Tomassi

Wow.

20. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

He cracked a smile on the sidelines last week. Obviously he is just here for the paycheck.