Week 11 Discussion

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by Rollo Tomassi, Nov 15, 2018.

1. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Unless you have specific information about the teams, a 2 pointer isn't a coin flip any more than overtime is a coin flip. Anyway, here's a hypothetical: Say you have an average kicker and an average offense, and they have an average defense. But their offense is much better than your defense. What do you do?

#61 HomeoftheJets, Nov 18, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2018
  2. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

A 2 pointer is less than 50% chance, so yes, it's basically a coin flip. It ain't worth a 50%+ chance of losing when you have a 94% chance of prolonging the game. Doing that basically says you have no confidence in your team.

3. NY Jets68

NY Jets68 Well-Known Member

15 yard penalty for hurt feelings...

4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

^Are you referring to the unsportsmanlike on Alexander? The refs are gearing up to help the Cheats in the near future in any way possible. 15 yards for taking the tape off his fingers? Holy Shit. That aside, I hate the metallic helmets on the Vikings. Yuck. I also don't care who wins.

5. HomeoftheJets

If your players doubt your confidence in them because you made a decision that improves their odds of winning the game, you aren't a very good leader to begin with.

6. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

IMO, there are times when going for 2 doesn't make sense. Let's say you're in a playoff game and you score a TF with less than a minute left and need a PAT to tie. Go for 2 and fail, your season is likely over. Go for the PAT, which will most likely be successful, and you have a shot to force OT where anything can happen. There's having confidence in your players and there's taking a foolish gamble.

7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Wow, this is a very fast game - 5:37 left and it's only been about 2 1/2 hours.

8. HomeoftheJets

That's different. In that situation, a successful 2 pointer doesn't guarantee you a win because there's still time left for the other team to score. Whereas a successful extra point guarantees you overtime because the other team will kneel on the ball. But if there's essentially no time left, you go for 2 if you think you have a better than normal chance of converting it, something's wrong with your kicker, and/or you're likely to lose in overtime.

9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

What is with the annoying Bears/Vikes digital pointer on the field on who has the ball and what down it is? Also highlighting the field in green to the first down marker? Horrible.

10. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I’m so jealous of Chicago it’s crazy. I would kill for the Jets to look like them.

A young innovative coach, young studs at key positions. A defense that is geared for modern football. Hell... likeable players!

Everything about them is better than our Jets. How did this happen? They were in worse positions than the Jets and they created that. We have to tear down and start all over again

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

They made an aggressive trade up for a QB, then fired their ultra conservative early 90s style HC and brought in an innovative offensive mind to work with QB. They then spent big in FA to surround QB with weapons and made an aggressive trade for a HOF pass rusher.

Sounds like a plan that the Jets can replicate.

donkey, Big Cat and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

There's no Nagy out there though, I don't see it in DeFilippo

13. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I don't think so. :( We will get the Wal Mart version of that plan.

For starters, there aren't gonna be any Khalil Mack's available for trade anymore. That was a once in a lifetime opportunity. Also, there are no decent playmakers available in free agency, its a weak class. Lastly, I'm not at all confident we end up with an innovative coach. It might be someone from offense but it will be someone that comes cheap and charms the Johnson's at dinner parties, not with their playbook.

Wal Mart/Jets version. A coach that is more talk than substance. Overspend on middling free agents billed as big moves. Forget about a pass rusher - the endless pursuit of a replacement for John Abraham will extend another decade. Like I said before, the Bills recent record playoff drought is in jeopardy

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I sacked too many IPAs yesterday :confused:

dawinner127 likes this.
  15. Attackett

That’s just the ultimate woe is me Jets fan in you but not rooted in reality at all. The only part of it that can’t be replicated in the Mack trade but there could be some decent pass rushers available in FA, obviously not Mack level but we’d still have 2 first rd picks to fill other needs.

I don’t know that it will happen but seems to be the path we’re heading down.

16. Attackett

Of course there is, plenty of good offensive minds out there.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The Jets can replicate the success LA and Chicago has had

First you kick TB out and get an Offensive Coach..pref Jim H but if not plenty are out there..This really the key and someone with an eye for talent

Second replace MM..if that is not happening it wont be that bad because as bad a deal maker, talent evaluator Macagnan has been he has also leaned on the HC's opinion for just about all the moves he makes ..witness how overboard he went on defense for Bowles...so he can switch gears the other way too and get a new OL WRs for us by drafting them. If he needs a Mac type Edge Rusher just find someone in FA

With 100 mil money wont be as issue here as well

18. All Gas No Shake

All Gas No Shake Well-Known Member

you play to win the game, not prolong it, hellooooooooooooo

check the chart ... https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/when-to-go-for-2-for-real/ ... the win probability was the same whether they went for one or two

but with a qb who has the most rush TDs in the entire league since he's been drafted, i would go for two in that situation every time

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Kellen Clemens. In 2018.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  20. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Sanchize it is :D