The Official Jets Coaching Search Thread

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by HomeoftheJets, Nov 12, 2018.

?

Who do you want?

Poll closed Jan 10, 2019.
  1. Eric Bieniemy (Chiefs OC)

9.0%
  2. Jim Caldwell (former Lions HC)

3.8%
  3. Adam Gase (former Dolphins HC)

7.5%
  4. Kliff Kingsbury (USC OC)

12.8%
  5. Mike McCarthy (former Packers HC)

58.6%
  6. Todd Monken (Buccaneers OC)

36.1%
  7. Matt Rhule (Baylor HC)

24.1%
  8. Kris Richard (Cowboys DB)

4.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Based on what is being reported in the media, John will be. It was a mutual agreement for him not to return, but they're not going to fire him during the season. He will resign following the season.

Ralebird and HomeoftheJets like this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

It looks like John will. I don't think Jim will, but I put his name on the poll just to see if one Harbaugh would get significantly more votes than the other.

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Give me the most innovative offensive mind out there that is willing to play to win the game. Whomever that is, sign me up.

dogg, KurtTheJetsFan and Sam Hammer like this.
  4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

His Jet swipe was prolly some civic loss-of-face fallout stemming from the 'no thx' facial Amazon just gave 'em...

If Rahm Emmanuel were smart he'd court Smith & Wesson to relocate there....skillful, hands-on workforce, good distributorship network, etc.

edit: Jimmy Harbaugh, take a powder vs. OSU, leave little Ann Arbor (you have unfinished NFL business) and take Johnson's million$ and GM/HC offer...

#44 joe, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Those who want McCarthy to come here ought to consider this:

https://nypost.com/2018/11/16/packers-vet-doesnt-hold-back-frustration-at-cautious-coach/

Punting with 4th and 2 with 4:20 left on the clock and down 27-24 AND Aaron Rodgers as your QB! Of course they went on to lose the game. Sound familiar?

What astounds me is how a supposedly successful HC can follow that kind of logic. Maybe that's why he hasn't won more SBs with one of the best QBs in the NFL.

No thanks.

dogg, NYJetsO12, Boomboom and 3 others like this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Yeah, I'm with you here. The strength of Green Bay is the offense. The defense hasn't been terrible, but they aren't a top flight D that almost guarantees the offense gets the ball back. They should have gone with their strengths.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. Skicats

Skicats Well-Known Member

John H, may not have a choice in the matter. He is supposedly on the hot seat.

8. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

I have no problem with a young, up an coming offensive talent that is well regarded by people that are well entrenched in the current NFL winning strategy. Having prior HC experience is not the end all for such a successful hire. But the selection has to be made by someone with indepth understanding and hands on knowledge of what is needed in today's NFL to be a winner. That immidiately excludes J&J from the selection process.

FJF likes this.
  9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Gary Kubiak might return to the sidelines. I wouldn't mind John Harbaugh and Kubiak as the OC.

10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Either one of the Harbaugh are fine. If they reach down to the college level, Scott Frost is the best young HC in college football and he has been coached by Bill Walsh when he was a college QB and by Parcells/BB and Tomlin/Gruden when he was converted to safety. He was an assistant Linebacker coach in College and coached the WR on a great offensive Oregon team. His UCF team was a blast to watch and went undefeated. He's in his first year at Nebraska with a terrible team and program. Their schedule is tough as nails and they are turning the corner in year 1. I love the fact that he was drafted and played for the Jets. This guy is moving up the chain fast.

LAJet likes this.
  11. NCJetsfan

IMO he isn't close to being the best young HC in college Football. Both Lincold Riley and Chris Peterson are head and shoulders above him and have more experience, especially Peterson. He may ultimately prove to be a good or even great HC, but he's not there. Yes, he was on the team when BP/BB were here, but didn't do jack as a player under them.

12. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

At this point I'd go with Condoleezza Rice

13. IIMeanDeanII

IIMeanDeanII Well-Known Member

I feel like so many of you are so desperate for change, your not really considering what you're asking for.

It's very rare to find a retread HC with prior HC experience to come in and instantly turn things around. Just because they found a glimmer of success at one point or another, doesn't make them ideal candidates.

Obviously this isn't a universal scenario. I think there are exceptions and definite considerations that fit the mold that some of you are pounding the table for.

This is inspired by Jon Gruden. For those who are curious. That situation is FUBAR and I know several of you would've pounded that same table for a chance to bring in a retread like, Gruden.

All I'm saying is. Careful what you ask for.

FJF and NYJFOREVER like this.
  14. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Eagles not looking so hot without Flip

Hmmm

CotcheryFan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

There's a reason why these head coaches aren't head coaches anymore, although I do believe it is different for guys like Jim and John Harbaugh who have proven they can coach at an NFL level. In the case of McCarthy, he just sucks. It's insane that they've only made one SB appearance with one of the, if not the most talented QB to ever step on the field.

16. JohnnyP123456

JohnnyP123456 Well-Known Member

If they were to pair up again, it would likely be in Denver (I think Kubiak is in the FO there iirc). Would be an interesting shout for us though

17. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm not against an experienced HC, but it has to be someone who has had a sustained run of success like the Harbaughs or even Arians. The latter is unlikely IMO given his age. I'm open to college coaches and OC's who have developed a QB. That is what's most important for a team with a young QB.

18. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Been hoping for DeFilippo since the day Darnold was named starter. I knew TB was not up to the task of grooming a potential FQB with dumbass Bates in tow...

19. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Vikes not looking so hot with Flip

Hmmm

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

In general, you're right, but do you really think that either Harbaugh would fail to turn things around? I can understand your thinking that way about Haley, McCarthy, or McDaniel.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.