Magic Mike is safe!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Rebuilds in the NFL do not take 4 or 5 or 6 years. Considering rookie contracts are 4-5 years, they guys you are rebuilding around could be gone by year 4 or 5 of the rebuild.

I team can be rebuilt to contend for the playoffs in one year and challenge for the SB in 2 or 3.

If Sam improves like I think he will, we'll be very competitive over the next 2-3 years.

tomdeb, JetsNation06 and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

if it was that easy to know and find, every team would have done it and no coach would ever get fired. rex said it best there are 2 types of coaches, those who have been fired and those who will be fired

3. GasedAndConfused

he built the team short term on a "win now" bases with older aging vets. he didn't rebuild the jets, he stacked us up for a short run with an old QB and signing lots of older guys. the parcells teams had 0 future. after the 1998 season the jets fell off although 1999 could have been good too if vinny didn't go down.

rams took 6 years to get where they are now
    eagles who won the SB took 4 years but that was a long time ago and they have been consistent since.
    jags took 9 years
    seahwaks took 5

the list goes on and on. it's always 4-6 years though when you tear everything down. it starts with landing a FQB which is why the jags haven't been over the hump but in my other examples it was wilson, wentz, and goff. if you miss on the QB like say TB or Tenn it sets you back even further and takes longer.

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

So, legit question: If Macc thought the Jets needed a quality WR, and assuming he's done at least as much research as you did, why would he wait until the 3rd round (or later) to draft one? And if he didn't think they needed a quality WR, why should he continue as the GM?

Cidusii likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

I've "liked" posts in this thread on both sides, indicating that I'm mostly on the fence about firing Macc. On the one hand I don't think his record by itself warrants being retained. That said, unless there is clearly a better option, changing GMs often brings some disruption and set back which isn't helpful unless the new guy REALLY transforms the team. The other aspect is that it's hard to know for sure how bad his misses were (aside from Hack!) when you have a guy like Bowles as the HC.

On balance, I'd lean towards firing both if a better GM candidate is available. If not, then at least firing Bowles has to be the bare minimum. But as I've been saying all along, what REALLY needs to happen is for them to hire a Pres. of Football Ops to make all these decisions and build a winning franchise.

All that said, I seriously doubt that the Johnson Boys will eat crow and publicly admit that their extending both the GM and HC after all this failure was stupid.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

I feel like you have to give Macc the chance to finish the rebuild. They purposely set it up so they would have tons of money to spend this year and already have what they think is their franchise QB, which is the hardest part of building a team.

Macc's job is definitely linked to Darnold and also this up coming off season. If he doesn't fix the oline this year, he's gone. I don't see why firing Bowles should mean Macc is gone as well. The Jets need some proven offensive coaches, not this ragamuffin crew of nomads.

By the way, most people were predicting 5-6 wins with the current roster, so being disappointed and wanting to fire the GM due to a bad record in a year we knew it would be bad is a bit over the top.

Mr mittens likes this.
  7. GasedAndConfused

nobody felt we needed a WR this year. enunwa and anderson have both proven to be good WRs with the jets. kearse was great last year as well. he also took a flyer on prior. the jets were the only team with 4 WRs to start the season each with a 800+ yard season under their belt. and 3 of which got those seasons with the jets with poor QB play. any team down to their 5th WR will struggle. look at the GB game last night. rodgers is playing with all scrub tier and unproven people to throw to outside of adams and it's hurting him and the packers and he's probably overall the best QB in the NFL in getting shit done without any help. Even the replay and comentators were showing how bad the WRs were in the scramble drill. Nobody could have predicted what happened next. we never really had all 4 playing. kearse missed a few games to start the year cause injury and completly fell off. enunwa missed time, anderson missed time, and pryor was a lockeroom issue who half assed it most of the time, but did make some nice catches for us. obviously WR is a need now for us and we only have enunwa and anderson for 2019 at this point and nothing else. and enunwa is an injury concern sadly. i'm sure we'll draft at least 1 if not 2 WRs and plus there are some solid free agent ones like tate, cobb, moncrief, brown, grant, beasley, humphires, williams, benjamin, martavius bryant, funchess, etc. no real number 1 guy but we don't really need that we just need more depth at WR

8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Actually I was saying our receivers were trash from the beginning and just because we had four guys with 800 receiving yards at some point in their careers doesn't mean those four are good now. And most impartial sources had our receivers rated at the bottom of the league.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Four years is more than enough to complete a rebuild. That it isn't complete or closer to being complete is due to Mac's failure in both the draft and FA.

You can't have a new HC coming in and then firing the GM after one year. If Bowles is indeed fired, Mac retained, and a new HC hired, that means that we are stuck with Mac for 3 more years, or you'd have the same situation that we did when we wound up stuck with Idzik. No quality GM candidate would even interview with the Jets when he had to accept the HC already in place and not be able to hire his own HC, and if you fired the HC along with Mac, then no good HC candidate would want the job knowing that he could be fired after one year. Mac has to go, or the same stupid shit will continue.

#129 NCJetsfan, Nov 16, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2018
    JetsNation06 and tomdeb like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

i can understand prior being an at some point guy but he was our number 4 WR. kearse had 800+ the previous year for us as a full time starter with mccown at QB. anderson had 941 yards as well in 2017 and would have hit 1k if mccown didn't get hurt and miss those last few games. he was having a probow season until that point and might have gotten in had it not been for mccown going down. enunwa missed 2017 with a neck injury but in 2016 led the team with over 800 yards as well. if kearse ddint' fall off and anderson and enunwa didn't miss time and all 3 played togetether eveyr game things would be different. enunwa and anderson will be back in 2019 we just need to get some depth behind them that is better.

Mr mittens likes this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

Uh, apparently Macc did, or he wouldn't have drafted two of them when we needed so much more.

Honestly, I'm beginning to suspect that your screen name is just a cover for your real one - Chris or Woody Johnson.

Cman68 likes this.
  12. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Here's the thing. The real rebuild didn't really start until 2017. They were trying to compete, the roster purge happened after the 2016 season.

I don't think Macc is dumb enough to ignore the offensive line this year, so he's most likely safe for 3 years+, regardless. They can't really evaluate the progress of Sam and the offense until then, and I have no doubt that will be the primary factor in deciding his longevity. I agree he could have done better drafting in those early years.

mrjet80 and FJF like this.
  13. Everyone outside of the Jets bubble including fans think the Jets skill players are complete trash..its the first thing people mention w what ails the jets.Solid Defense but young QB w little help around him.

I really dont blame Mac for his strategies.I know folks are gonna mention the OL & while its not good there are alot of teams in this same predicament. Many of those teams have overcome it w scheme,play calling, quality QB play & skill players that are worth a damn.

Quality OL draft prospects have been in short supply & the Jets have had an issue w boundary talent on both sides of the ball forever..i cant blame him for trying to fix this.

What i do blame him for is picking the wrong players especially on the offensive side of the ball & waiting far too long to finally do a legit tear down/overhaul of the offense which we may never even see complete at this point.

mrjet80, tomdeb and ColoradoContrails like this.
  14. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

You have to get rid of both (Mac and Bowles) and start fresh. There's no other choice here. Mac and Idzik will have one thing in common. Neither will ever sniff another GM job again.

tomdeb likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

apparently Stewart was lobbied for by other coaches and wasn't a "mac pick" plus mac tends to do BPA more often then not as well and we did need WRs for the future. remember when we drafted the 2 of them we only had robbie. enunwa was out on injury and we hadn't traded for kearse yet. this year going into the draft we had kearse, enunwa, anderson, and pryor. 3 of which were 800+ yard WRs with the jets and didn't draft a WR.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Yeah and they drafted the wrong ones, and they are no longer in the league. Mac and this coaching staff cannot properly evaluate talent. Mac should easily take the hit for listening to a coach for a player who may or may not have been high on your draft board. He can't draft well in the middle rounds, you can compare him to Ryan Pace of the Bears, or Dave Caldwell who have both owned him. Godwin (fans loved him here), Hunt, Kittle (who I absolutely loved), Cohen, Galloway ... how did we miss on these guys?

The Jets have done this year in and year out with this regime.

FJF, tomdeb, Red Menace and 1 other person like this.
  17. GasedAndConfused

we have been awful in the mid rounds but we've done great in the early rounds and later rounds though. it's mostly rounds 2-4 that we just suck but if you look at the drafts same can be said of 90% of the NFL GMs the draft is a crapshoot. at least we haven't missed on our high picks and we have found some late round gems.

18. 101GangGreen101

We hit on like 2 late round picks in Shell, and Edwards in 2016. Robby as a UFDA. No, Mac has not been good enough in the late rounds, and he's been awful in the mid-rounds. He's only been good in the first round and the picks were blatantly obvious. There was a stat where the Jets have one of the least amount of draft picks still on the team in the league. Gonna let a first year OC, hold hostage on a draft pick, and probably others as well.

He sucks.

cgrec, FJF, HomeoftheJets and 3 others like this.
  19. GasedAndConfused

you do realize that like 85% of 5th rounder or later are out of the NFL by the end of their rookie deal or sooner? we have the 3 you mentioned as well as peake as a key special teamer, maguire is looking really good as well, cannon has potential to be a 3rd down back and nickerson could be our starting nickel back next year and derick jones has shown potential. it's a very high hit rate compared to the norm. what's killed us mostly is rounds 2-4.

20. 101GangGreen101

Nice try cherry picking but the point is still made. Peake probably won't even be on the roster soon, McGuire is meh at best right now. Nickerson and Jones are works in progress, haven't shown much as of late. He's been a bad drafter, no way around it.

FJF, tomdeb, Red Menace and 1 other person like this.