Jay's House of Weather 'n Stuff

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jaywayne12, Dec 25, 2010.

1. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Insanity dude. I hope everyone here made it home safe.

My buddy works in Upper Saddle River and lives in Montvale. It took him almost 3 hours to get home, when At most its a 10-15 minute drive. I'm honestly shocked he made it home. When you get off Rt 17 and go towards Montvale, Lake St is nothing but twists and turns down hill and his car Nissan Altima is rear wheel drive.

2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

ended up going back to work roads were impassable just about everywhere. I have never seen things go south so fast.

kids schools closed, still snowing and the roads are still a mess up here. contemplating taking the day off.

CBG likes this.
  3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

It's 40 degrees here.... OH THE HORROR!

The Waterboy, CBG and FJF like this.
  4. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

but at least you got to see the Islanders outscore the Rangers ,,,,I feel your pain brother

5. stinkyB

Ocean was a steam bath this morn.... 40 degree air meets 69 degree water

[​IMG]

CBG likes this.
  6. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Fjay I hope you turned around and banged in its just not worth it. I am venturing out soon to go save the wifes car that is in another neighborhood but It might be safe to say it did not get plowed in because I saw very few plows last night.

FJF likes this.
  7. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

I think I am going to make myself a tee shirt or better yet a jersey and on the front will be some type of snow emblem or snow flakes and on the back it will say "Snow Whisperer " = I like that Brook

Brook!, dawinner127 and FJF like this.
  8. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I went last nite. Banged in this morning. I think we’ll call it even

CBG likes this.
  9. thedonger

thedonger Active Member

good luck getting the car back cbg.

CBG likes this.
  10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Bill The Bozo big giant F on this storm. Biggest failure is the port authority not treating the GW Bridge which basically destroyed everyone's day who was driving

CBG likes this.
  11. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

He sucked and Murphy from NJ gave a press conference and that was a "not me, finger pointer , its the weatherman fault ",,these officials are a joke and a disgrace take your pick

regan62072 likes this.
  12. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Pretty much from this day forward, anyone in charge who does not salt the bridge with snow / freezing turds in the forecast should be fired on the spot

13. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

So check this out a guy I know is trying to debate me on why the storm and more importantly the roads were such a clusterfuck = he says it was due to "wet heavy snow " and I tried to explain that there was less than 2 inches on the ground when the chaos began and that it was due to the roads not being treated .

14. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

The forecasts were obviously way off, and things deteriorated much more quickly than they expected or is typical. By the time they realized that there was a problem it was too late to send out plows, since the roads were already blocked. The timing was also the worst it could possibly be.

I doubt that the initial plan was any different from every other storm with a similar forecast - they didn't treat the streets on Thursday because they never do with this kind of forecast. The pre-treatment chemicals are very different from the deicing chemicals (the former being in liquid form, the latter often being some sort of solid salt compound), and it's simply not feasible or cost effective to pre-treat every time there's a forecast of some snow. The only thing I expect is going to change is that they are now going to routinely pre-treat bridges, tunnels, and especially problematic highways, so the disasters on the GWB and the Taconic might be averted.

Municipalities can't assume worst-case scenarios for every storm - they would run out of money in January if they did. Sometimes shit happens.

CBG likes this.
  15. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Statjeff ------they did not even issue Advisories ????????? they went straight from slushy inch to winter storm warnings. I don't say they had to prep every street but the main roads , bridges and park ways ????????? They really screwed

16. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

As I said, I do expect they're going to do more pre-treating now, but everyone should then expect announcements in April about how they went over the budget on storm issues this winter.

The forecasters definitely got it very wrong - I wonder if there's anything to learn from that.

CBG likes this.
  17. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Thanksgiving will be " STUPID" cold if you are planning on going to the parade or playing any football with family or friends you might want to rethink that it looks like it will be brutal !!!!!

FJF likes this.
  18. stinkyB

UGGGGHHH.... NOT what I want to hear. Flying up to have Thanksgiving with fam on LI.

CBG likes this.
  19. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Stinky bring a coat man , sorry but there won't be ANY surfing on this trip !!!

20. stinkyB

LOL.... that's just it. My "coat" is a hooded sweatshirt, and my "foul weather" fishing jacket. (basically a fancy raincoat)
    Actually there may be a leather jacket back in the closet somewhere. ha

I was trying to schedule my days up there (parents are going too, and will prob stay longer) around my work schedule and my brother's.... he has to go back to work Sunday, so I wanted to leave before then. "You can hang out, maybe go on a headboat or something." "F*CK THAT... I'm not freezin my ass off on a fishing boat... or carrying another bag of heavy clothes"

We do have tix to see the Pixies tuesday night :cool:

CBG likes this.