Magic Mike is safe!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 13, 2018.

1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

You could be right. If he fires Dorsey, the Johnsons better be Johnny on the spot to hire him, I don't care who our GM is at the time. BTW, it's "Haslam" not "Haslem."

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  2. NCJetsfan

While I agree that Mac has been a lot better than Bowles, and understand your wanting to give Mac another year, we simply cannot. The Jets will be firing Bowles and hiring a new HC (hopefully). Once that happens, you have to give Mac 3 years (the period of time to evaluate the new HC). If you fired Mac after one year, you'd be repeating the same mistake as the Johnsons did when they wound up having to hire Idzik because no quality GM candidate is going to be saddled with not being able to hire his own HC and having to accept one that's already in place. Are you really willing to give him 3 more years of drafts and FA periods and trust that he will fill the holes and have them competitive before Darnold's contract is up?

The Dark Knight likes this.
  3. NCJetsfan

There are too many good players to name. Go look at the list of 2018 FAs. There were very good OGs, Cs, and WRs, and I think players at other positions, and Mac went with lesser options who were cheaper as if we had cap issues.

4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Yeah, I posted about that in some other thread. You keep Mac, hire a new coach, and then 2019 is a disaster, you then fire Mac, and have a Head Coach entering year 2 and a new GM. It would be a mess. So that is definitely a worry of mine. Hopefully Mac would succeed with the new Head Coach and the Jets would begin to roll, but that is far from a given.

I still love Mac's trade up from #6 to #3 to get Darnold. Him doing that is enough for me to retain him. Clearly he has made several other errors though and need to build around that pick starting now. Really a toss-up.

CotcheryFan and HomeoftheJets like this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

we should retain mac for sure and let him pick the staff like the way ti should be in the NFL. all the owners that try to get involved in team decisions only fuck it up. al davis, jerry jones, dan snyder were all famous for that. Owners need to sit back and collect their money and let the smarter people they hire do their job

The Dark Knight likes this.
  6. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Since it was originally for personal use, I didn't add a key haha. I'll have to update with one. But basically:

Grey - Top tier / Elite players. Typically in the discussion as one of the best at their position. e.g. Darrelle Revis, Antonio Brown, Nick Mangold, Aaron Rodgers.
    Green - Solid / Good players. Good starters for their team. Typically a Pro Bowl or two under their belt.
    Yellow - Startable / OK players. They've managed to hold down a starting position on a team. Typically for multiple seasons (I was more lenient here with RBs, because of their shorter shelf life).
    Orange - Long term players. People who have taken a long while to pan out as starter quality or better, like DeMario Davis or Alex Smith.
    Cream - Role players. Depth players who have hung around for a while, and provide some level of backup quality.
    Red - Misses. Players who couldn't cut it at the NFL level.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  7. NCJetsfan

Thanks! Good work. I know that took a lot of time and thought. I appreciate your sharing it!

Cidusii likes this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I'm done... If you want to give Macc a lifetime to get this right, be my guest...Hopefully, they will bounce his ass soon as someone better comes along. Perhaps a high profile HC will take this job, give Macc a shopping list and hope he gets it right. There is one thing this team never runs out of, is excuses..The one thing this team always comes up short with is... results. This is the never ending rebuild. Ancient Egypt would be proud of Macc.

9. GasedAndConfused

i'm not saying a lifetime by any means. but all likely we have a new coaching staff in 2019 and had 0 say in the current one as it was in place before he was hired, he started a rebuild in 2018, he landed our FQB who is a rookie right now. it took les snead 6 years to get the rams to where they are now, if they fired him after year 2 of the rebuild who knows if the rams would be half as good as they are right now. i say give him 3 more years to see it through. 5 years is the usual length for a rebuild plus we need to see how darnold turns out. 3 years which will be with his staff and 5 years of a full rebuild and his draft picks. he inhereted a shit team, and was mandated to make bad moves to win now which set us back quite a bit. if mac came in with a new staff he chose and started a rebuild right away, we may be competing right now. If we win 9-10 games next year you'll be saying the opposite of what you are now.

10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Rebuilds these days shouldn't take 5 years. And even if this is year 2 of the rebuild, it doesn't absolve Macc of his misses in rounds 2-4 in 2015 and 2016.

11. GasedAndConfused

rebuilds always take around 4-6 years and 4 is pretty fast. it took the rams 6 years and i'm sure you'd love the jets to be in the position the rams are now. i know i would as they are the top team in the NFL right now IMO. it took them 6 years in the current regime. they wen't 12 years without making the playoffs and never even had a winning record. if they fired their GM after 2-3 years they probably wouldn't be where they are now. not only that but his 1st 2 1st round picks were both busts. his 1st draft panned out pretty awesome though thanks to mid rounds, but his 2nd draft was awful which included 2 1st rounders that turne dout to be a decent gadget player/speacial teamer and a so-so LBer and the rest of the draft were busts. his 3rd draft he had 2 1st rounders again and nailed them both then his other 9 picks were all busts.

12. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

As insightful as you usually are, I do not agree Mac has been A LOT better than Bowles. I do agree with you that the jets should not let MacNuts near one more jets offseason. He is NOT a good evaluator of talent. Even when the jets hired MacCagnan in 2015, someone posted the Texans 4-5 drafts wherein MacCagnan had some imput. The only name that jumped out or that I even recognized was JJ Watt. Watt is a special player, but that was IT for those 4-5 years. Made me wonder THEN why they gave even him the GM job. Now I know--The lucky sperm bros. are as stupid as Todd Bowles and MacNuts. I laugh at those on this board who claim Mac needs more time to "rebuild." What was he doing his first 4 years here--scratching his butt?

JetsNation06 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  13. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Scratching his butt and throwing darts at a Board of Free Agents and Draft Picks...Lol ..the truth just hurts

TBH The. Truth is this team has been SETBACK 3 years by the Bozos who own this team

No owners have " search committees " (like Univerties do)to advise them on hiring a HC/GM Does Kraft Arthur Blanc or the Maras do this stuff?? Of course not because they have enough football horse sense to hire good people (most of the time)

I mean, I always liked Charlie Casserly as a talking head on TV but now Iam hating him ...his advice to J brothers was fatal

#113 NYJetsO12, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
    JetsNation06 and tomdeb like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

that part is sadly very true they should have let mac rebuild from the start it was a big setback, but firing mac now would only be repeating that mistake and set us back again. it's either we give mac a few more years with a new staff or we set our selves back again and repeat the same mistake

15. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Do you fire a GM based on his strikeouts?
    Or retain him based on his home runs?

grkmanga31 likes this.
  16. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Retain or fire him based on his batting average.

JetsNation06 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  17. NCJetsfan

That's cool, Tom. No one said that we had to agree on everything. I can certainly understand why you think that Mac hasn't been a lot better than Bowles.

tomdeb likes this.
  18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Or we just hire better people this time around.

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.
  19. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

012:

I like your comment about the "search committee." I thought that was pretty embarrassing when they announced that--Johnson and Johnson should stick to selling bandaids, because that is all they do for the jets is put a bandaid on any area of need.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

Appreciate your opinion, but how/why do you claim a rebuild takes 4-6 years??? Parcells inherited a 1-15 jets team in 1997 which he took to 9-7 the next season and the AFC Champsionship game in his 2nd year. No, that is not what usually happens but if the jets got the right man in charge they could drastically improve quickly.