Magic Mike is safe!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 13, 2018.

1. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

It would be weird to have a lame duck GM select the new coach.

So if he stays, they must be allowing him to finish his contract.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  2. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

My thinking is they are happy he traded up for Sam, and want him to see his year 2 play out.

I think it's foolish to keep Macc if you are going to fire Bowles, but who am I?!

NYJetsO12 and tomdeb like this.

3. You don't have to agree but take a look around the league...there is no set one way.To argue otherwise doesn't really add any value. I'm not even really sure what you're taking issue with. I already stated that it hasn't worked but that doesn't mean that it's mala per se or that it can't work in certain situations.Ideally you aren't replacing a GM/HC at the same time so that you avoid this situation. Unfortunately that's not how things have gone bc the Johnsons cant seem to hire anybody worth keeping. It's a rat race on black monday...there isn't time to *sift through Gm candidates,make a hire-screen what HC candidates GM likes-conduct coaching interviews- hire coach-put together a staff etc*. There are 4-6 other teams all going after the same candidates & with the Jets perception they are forced to conduct both hiring processes simultaneously. If you have a better idea other than hiring a director of football operations I'd love to hear it. In fact..by all means... with all the unique chains of commands league wide why does 1 black & white viewpoint trump all others? And if it's so foolproof why isn't it widespread throughout the NFL??

I dont think I have it backwards at all. The coaching staff & front office are 2 separate departments that need constant synergy to find success. They already both report to ownership directly or indirectly regardless. With the plethora of reasons why candidates haven't been willing to come here, why would they sign up to be business peers or equals if they didn't like one another,didn't share similar philosophies or saw problems down the road?? Again, has it worked in the Jets situation? No. Is a restructuring needed? Yes.

Please explain me to with all the different organizational structures why it is such a back & white proposition with no room for modification for a disaster like our current Jets? I don't claim to have all the answers or know the solution...I'm just really confused by this tunnel vision. Got nothing but respect & your def one of my boys here on the site...and you aren't alone in this depiction.I look forward to your response.

barfolomew likes this.
  4. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

I think Mac needs to be given full autonomy to select the next HC. Clearly the buffoonery brothers can't locate their assholes from their elbows to figure it out. This way if the coach that Mac selects is an an abject failure they're both out the door. No more of this mixing and matching of GM's with HC's they didn't hire...

5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Right now, I'd rate Mac as a middle of the road GM..... very good in some areas, very shitty in others. Sadly a big improvement over the last guy who sucked across the board.
    If they're really going to keep him, they're thinking either needs to be "we have confidence in him, so we let him select his coach" or They bring in a high profile coach that has a similar vision as Mac but more say in personnel than Bowles, and let Mac make handle the trades and contracts (like Andy Reid in KC)

mrjet80, NCJetsfan and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

No, not sign every free agent. That's not possible. If he drafted better, it wouldn't even be necessary. FA should only be to address a need or two. I know that he inherited a pretty bare cupboard from Tanny and Idzik, but he's had 4 years of drafts and FA to fix the roster, and it still has little quality depth and too many holes. I don't know if the Jets are in a situation where they have to spend most of that $100 million or not, but they shouldn't be. The bottom line is that they are in that position, and a sizable portion of the blame lies squarely at Mac's feet. If we're going to be even remotely competitive next season, he's going to need hit on at least his first 5 picks in the draft and sign at least 4-5 quality FAs, including an edge rusher. Don't forget that we have a lot of players who are going to be FAs, and not a lot of them deserve to be re-signed.

7. NCJetsfan

I agree, and it probably would even cause some HC candidates to decline interviewing with the Jets. That's why, imo, they have to move on from Mac now. They will need to give their new HC at least 3 years. If not, then no one competent will be willing to interview with the Jets and the lousy, novice HC carousel will continue. If they allow Mac to hire the next HC and Mac screws the pooch in FA and the draft this year, and his players from the last 2 drafts don't contribute, the team will be screwed even if the new HC pans out. In that scenario even if the new HC panned out, he'd be undermined by Mac's poor drafting, and they couldn't fire Mac because then they'd have to hire yet another GM who doesn't get to pick his own HC, and it's doubtful that anyone competent would want the job.

GQMartin and tomdeb like this.
  8. NCJetsfan

Yes, Mac has been very good in some areas, but in the most important area, drafting, he's been pretty shitty if not very shitty. He's had 4 years in which to overhaul the roster, and it's little better than it was, with the exception of QB, S and ILB.

9. NCJetsfan

I already agreed that there may not be one set way, and acknowledged that it is working elsewhere. The thing is I don't care what other teams do. I only care about the Jets, and that approach clearly hasn't worked here, and ultimately I think it's rare that that would work long term anywhere. To answer your question why GM and HC candidates would accept the job if they didn't want to work with the other is that they want and need a job. They want the opportunity to be HC of an NFL team or the GM of an NFL team. People lie to get jobs all the time. Even if they're being honest and truly think they agree, people can and do change their minds once they get in a situation and/or get to know the person with whom they're having to work closely, and then animosity and distrust can arise, and the two not be working towards the same goals, which hurts the team. The main thing I'm taking issue with is that approach (the GM and HC being peers) does not work with Jets due to the Johnsons being so clueless and their being no knowledgeable Director of Football Operations.

I agree that a team doesn't want to hire both the GM and HC at the same time and that there isn't time to do both and get the best candidates, but unfortunately, that's what the Jets are faced with because the Johnsons went with that approach when Rex and Idzik were here, and stuck with it when they hired Bowles and then Mac. Bowles and his staff have to go. Mac needs to go as well for several reasons. One, his drafts have been below average and the talent level of the team hasn't improved in a significant fashion, and they still have a lot of holes and depth issues. It needs a dramatic infusion of talent and I don't trust Mac to provide that infusion. Two, they can't keep Mac for just one more year. If they decide to keep him, whether they let him hire the next HC or not, that means he has to stay for a minimum of 3 years while they're evaluating the new HC. Otherwise, if that HC has worked out, but the team still has major talent issues, then they'll either have to stick with Mac, which will undermine the success of the new HC and team, or if they fire him, then they'll be faced with the same stupid situation of yet again having to hire a GM that won't get to pick his own HC. IMO no topnotch GM candidate is going to accept that. We already saw that when the Jets hired Idzik. Two or three of the best GM candidates refused to even interview with the Jets. That's how they wound up with Idzik. Also, no topnotch HC candidate is going to accept a job with the Jets where they think the GM could get fired within a year or two.

You and I both know that there's no way that the Johnsons are going to hire a Director of Football Operations. They're bored and need something to do with their "toy." They're going to meddle and want to make all the big decisions. If they would, then that could solve things in a hurry. I just don't think that they'll ever do it, unless the team suddenly starts hemorrhaging money and the got desperate. Right now their egos are in the way.

We'll have to agree to disagree about your original point #2. Maybe it's just semantics, but the way you stated it made it sound to me like you were perfectly fine with the GM and HC being peers. As long as the Johnsons run the team sans a Director of Football Operations or own the team, that approach will never work imo. IMO the only way to make certain that the GM and HC are on the same page and lock step working together is if the GM hires the HC and the HC reports to the GM, not the owners. It could happen, the other way, but the odds are against it imo. Where the two are peers is working, I don't know, but I strongly suspect that is because there is a strong, knowledgeable, experienced owner, or the owner hired an experienced, topnotch football man to run the team, and the GM and HC both report to him.

I meant no disrespect. I hope you know that you are one of my "guys" and one of my favorite posters here.

#49 NCJetsfan, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
    Since1969 likes this.
  10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I guess it was lucky because Macc had no idea Darnold would make it to the 3rd pick.

12. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Yes... We certainly were lucky. The Browns or the Giants could have taken Darnold but didn't. I bet the Giants are probably thinking about that choice as Eli slowly but surely succumbs to father time. I do think that Mayfield might wind up being the gem in that draft class.

94Abraham likes this.
  13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Luck is the residue of design.

He made a massive decision to move up and we were rewarded by the football gods.

ColoradoContrails and barfolomew like this.
  14. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It’s funny that all Macs good moves are deemed as lucky. His trade up and ultimate landing of Darnold was a great move and he deserves credit for it as such.

I’m firmly in the Jets got their QB camp and if Mac stays on like I think he will he has to nail the HC hire. He does that and our future is bright.

barfolomew likes this.
  15. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If Mac's drafting doesn't improve and he doesn't get Darnold a good coach, a line and some receivers, Darnold will be a bust and all of a sudden the trade won't look so good anymore.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I think his drafts have been about average and that Bowles is the problem. Guess we’ll see if Mac does survive and gets to pick his first HC.

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

This is typical how these owners operate..they never see the Forrest because the trees get in the way.

Macagnan made a big splash signing Sam and boy that was good enough? ?? Forgetting that he was asleep at the switch for 3 1/2 years?

The Johnsons are lazy and stupid ..not a good combination

They had no business re upping his contract..they are just conning us all and know they can get away with it..which leads me to believe they have zero interest seeing this franchise succeed after realizing a tremendous profit on their 2000 investment

18. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

Darnold will turn out better once he gets the right weapons and some protection. Right now Mayfield has a better supporting cast........

NYJFOREVER, Cman68 and barfolomew like this.
  19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

If that was the case, you'd expect some of Mac's picks who got cut to catch on with other teams. That hasn't happened.

20. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Yep, if only we could swap Dorsey and Mac. He has the Browns on the right track and a better future foundation then what Mac has done here. They are set at TE, RB, Qb, Cb, pass rusher, and Safety for the foreseeable future.

Cman68 likes this.