The Taylor brothers

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by RichardCaster, Nov 14, 2018.

1. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

Strong rumors Jets looking at Zac Taylor (Rams qb coach) as HC
    brother Press Taylor (Eagles qb coach) as OC

2. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

I’ve read all year that MacCagnan has become obsessed with following the gameplans set forth by the Rams and Eagles after they traded up for QBs.

Hopefully he isn’t thinking about just blindly hiring both of their QB coaches to meet that end.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  3. RichardCaster

RichardCaster Active Member

Benjamin Allbright has said they want them both. He's pretty accurate.

4. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

Zac (the one Allbright pointed to as head coach) is 35 years old

This would be a HUGE swing with the potentially to miss badly. They’re literally just hoping to find the “next Sean McVay” if they make that hire.

I have to say, I like the idea better than hiring another DC or a retread. But they damn well better do their research to make sure he’s ready because hiring a 35 year old just because it worked for another team has the potential to go up in flames.

Did he play a hand in turning around Goff’s career? Or was it really all McVay? Even if it was all McVay, did Taylor pick up valuable knowledge from witnessing it? Lots of very crucial questions that need answers and I’m not sure I trust Mac to answer them.

5. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Zac has shot up the chart as some sort of Sean McVay type offensive mind. It's unclear if it's because he's just been under McVay or not. He's credited with developing Tannehill a few years back. He went from assistant WR coach to QB coach this year (he's also on the list for the Browns gig) so it's not like he's some big shot in the dark here. McVay calls the plays so there's no real OC, Zac is in essence the "OC" there. The tandem maybe a possible way to get the brothers here. Zac's brother has been with the Eagles for a while now (want to say 2012)

I always pay attention to these hot names, because right now he's the hot name, not like Eric Bieniemy (who's part of the Chiefs offense) or LaFleur, who's the Titans OC, his name isn't as hot but I must say, the Titans offense has been better as of late.

6. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Wasn't it Albright who guaranteed Nick chub to the Giants at #2 just prior to the Draft? Then changed it to 4 because he had confirmation the Giants we're taking a QB?

7. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

I thought this thread was going to be about James and Livingston.

I am disappoint.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Obviously this means nothing in November but Taylor should absolutely get interviewed.

For a team that has had conservative coaches for what seemed like forever, plucking a HC & OC from two of the most aggressive staffs in the game would be a welcome change.

9. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

No Head Coaching experience..here we go again

Interesting choice but more OC material imo

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'm not totally against this, but the Jets need to be absolutely sure that Taylor can develop Darnold and be creative on offense.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

You're not getting them to leave an OC job for another OC job, even if they can do so contractually.

If you want one of them, you have to go all in.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

young, innovative, ballsy move. I'll believe it when I see it

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Shoot your shot mac. I like this line of thinking

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  14. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

If the Jets don't fire Mac, and just go this route, rather than contacting and interviewing a number of other candidates, I'm done. I'm sick of the stupidity. I can understand why a number of posters want to hire a hot young OC (DeFilippo or LaFleur), but these two guys? IMO what the Jets need most is an experienced HC like one of the Harbaughs, Mike McCarthy, or maybe even Todd Haley. The second best option might be a collegiate HC like Chris Peterson or David Shaw. If not, then it would be DeFilippo, LaFleur, Carmichael or another innovative OC who has a good bit of experience. The worst thing would be going with a former QB Coach who is called OC now, but doesn't call the plays and his brother. I'd rather have Toub than the Taylors.

Zac Taylor is credited with developing Tannehill and served as interim OC for the Dolphins for 5 games. During that 5-game span, the Dolphins averaged only 17 ppg, less than the OC they fired (Bill Lazor). He was then OC in the collegiate ranks for the Cincinnati Bearcats for 2016, before becoming assistant WR Coach for the Rams in 2017 and QB Coach in 2018. Press Taylor was Offensive Graduate Assistant and QB Coach for the Univ. of Tulsa for 2 seasons, then became the Eagles Offensive Quality Control Coach (whatever that means) in 2013. In 2016 when Doug Pederson was hired by the Eagles, he was retained as Offensive Quality Control Coach and promoted to Assistant QB Coach. This season has been his first as QB Coach. These guys have next to no experience. UGH! No thanks! If this is an example of Mac's acumen, I want the dumbass fired in the most humiliating way possible.

#14 NCJetsfan, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  15. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

This wreaks of Mac just throwing darts and hoping they hit the bullseye. The line of thinking is fine but not sure about these brothers.

It just seems like Mac has no true vision or blueprint for how to build a long term sustainable winning franchise. Get his ass out and hire a VP of Football Ops.

16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

LMAO one of my favorite things about this board is when people get themselves so worked up about a meaningless rumor.

I’m sure the Jets have made up their minds on a HC & OC in November before they’ve even fired their current HC and OC or even know the full list of candidates available.

Taylor should be interviewed as well as Difillipo as well as Lafleur and anyone else that Mac thinks can get the best out of Darnold and run a modern day offense.

In the end if the Taylor brothers are left standing then great, let’s go Taylor but it certainly would not have been decided before Thanksgiving.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I also love the "that's it I'm done" line only second in the classic list behind "If Macc has done/thought/rumoured that.. he needs sacked/fired/torched/ tarred and feathered now/instantly/yesterday" lol

LAJet and FJF like this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

19. NCJetsfan

The problem is that all too often over the years with the Jets, these "dumb rumors" proved to be true, or an equally stupid move was made.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. NCJetsfan

It does. I mean it. I've had it. I was ready to quit on this team 4 years ago but decided to give them one more chance. I don't think anything will ever change as long as the Johnsons own the team.

NYJetsO12 likes this.