Magic Mike is safe!

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Cman68, Nov 13, 2018.

1. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Hack was a shot in the dark. Bad pick for QB, but hopefully Darnold more than makes up for it at that position.

When I was looking at picks from 2005-2014 in the 3rd round a few weeks ago by position, I saw that the chance of a WR panning out in that round (i.e. starter quality) was ridiculously low at like 10-12%. I'll have to pull up the numbers when I get home. As such, I'm not that surprised that Hansen and Stewart aren't startable.

2. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

I was a big Mac "apologist" up until this year, but if someone better were to come along, perhaps a good head coach/GM combo, I would take them over Mac at this point.

With that said, I am not super upset that he is staying and I am curious to see how he will use this money. I believe this offseason he will have "completed" his vision of what the Jets rebuild will look like and he should totally be scrutinized if it doesn't work out after next year.

NYJFOREVER and The Dark Knight like this.
  3. Quinnenthebeast

I saw a post on Reddit about Mac's "hit rate" on draft picks is essentially average for a GM. Be that as it may, there are a lot worse GMs than him (cough cough Idzik). To me whats more important is his hits and he's done decently well with it. Not to mention the trades he gets for late round picks are also really well done. Maybe we will try again on a WR and finally hit this time.

NYJFOREVER likes this.
  4. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Fair enough, I just brought that up as food for thought. Mac definitely isn't absolved of all blame as his entire 2015 class is gone besides Leo, he blew a 2nd on Hack, and a 3rd and fourth on Steward and Hansen respectively. My thing is a good coach will figure out how to get the best out of his players and Bowles definitely isn't doing that right now. Give Bowles this 2018 Rams offense and I bet they look like the Jeff Fisher Rams, or the Chiefs offense which is the most talented offense in the league and I bet he makes them look anemic.

dogg likes this.
  5. King Koopa

King Koopa Well-Known Member

Macc comes off as a very reasonable person with a sharp mind in interviews that I’ve heard

He hasn’t been good all things considered but I’d be open to giving him another shot with a different coach...just off of instincts, maybe I’m wrong but I’d be fine with rolling the dice on him

Bowles should not be back regardless...it’s pretty clear that he’s simply not winning head coach material in the NFL for reasons which have been discussed for years. He never improved and it looks like he doesn’t have the aptitude to succeed

dogg and ColoradoContrails like this.
  6. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Unlike a coach, keeping a GM one year too long can set your team back 4-5 years with bad picks and bad contracts. Unless you are certain Mac is the best man for the job you have to get rid of Mac.

So, of course the Johnson’s will stick with him one more year to further set back the team.

Cman68 and FJF like this.
  7. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Where are the quality players on the offensive side of the ball? Bring back the '80s, when we last had a very competitive offense. Wesley, Toon, McNeil, Shuler, Moore, Hector. Let's get to see some exciting football already. If a high pick and $100M ain't enough to get a playmaker or two, then the GM guy needs to take a hike.

dogg, ColoradoContrails, AJW and 2 others like this.
  8. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The best case scenario I can see from this is a high profile HC comes in and gives Macc a shopping list of guys in FA and the draft. Macc takes that list and makes it happen without breaking the bank or trading all of our draft capital. Back to the structural issue, has anyone given thought to Macc's choices for scouts aren't exactly super sleuths? You can't draft quality if you can't spot it first. Macc did revamp the scouting dept. but the results so far mimic going to the local food bank and getting the freshest veggies still on the shelves.

#28 Cman68, Nov 14, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2018
  9. grkmanga31

grkmanga31 Well-Known Member

I'm going to hope this report is premature or just pushing a narrative. How should the jets go about hiring a legit HC, when the HC has to wonder if the GM is going to get canned in a year?

Giving Macc an extension would result in a public outcry from jets fans who are sick and tires of losing.

The draft misses, the shitty free agent signings, and this persona Macc takes on to try and avoid pressure is disgusting.

He and Bowles need to go.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Sorry, but I totally disagree with you and the Jets' org chart. There may not just be one way that will work, but the GM hiring the HC is the proven method that we know works. The other way takes a knowledgeable and insightful/intuitive owner or Head of Football Operations and finding the right two men. Just because some other teams do something a certain way doesn't mean that the Jets should. Some folk smoke crack or use crystal meth. That doesn't mean that others should.

1. The opposite of this is true also. If you don't allow the GM to hire his own HC, you not only might be eliminating the prime or best candidates, but you might be setting up a situation where the GM and HC don't see eye-to-eye or have a personality conflict and can't work together. While I no longer trust Mac (especially if it's true that he's seriously thinking of hiring the Taylors), I trust his judgment a whole lot more than I do the Johnsons. That said, if Mac is seriously considering the Taylors, I hope that the Johnsons immediately veto that and let him know that they will not be hiring the Taylors.

2. You have this totally backwards. Having them as peers sets up the potential for conflicting agendas and power struggles. Having the GM hire the HC and be the HC's superior eliminates that potential. The GM isn't going to hire someone whose agenda or philosophy conflicts with his, and even if something should arise later, since the HC reports to the GM, it would be stopped unless the HC wants to be fired. With the Johnsons hiring the HC, there are all kinds of potential for conflicts, competing agendas, etc. because the Johnsons don't know enough to ask the right questions, and even if they did, because the organizational structure would allow for differing ideas, philosophies, agendas, it could very easily put the GM and HC into competition with each other as their egos got involved, rather than being on the same page working together for the good of the team.

11. NCJetsfan

Good post. This is spot on. No good HC candidate (experienced or not) would want the job if they have any concerns that the GM might be gone in a year. This would almost certainly guarantee that we wind up with the Taylors or someone even less qualified (if that's possible).

12. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

While I'm not sold on Mac, again, I don't think this debacle is really his fault. He's made some questionable moves for sure (Hackenberg), but honestly, I blame the lack of success almost entirely on Bowles. When your team is consistently seeing 1st rounders either end up as a average talent to complete bust year after year, that means they aren't getting coached, developed, and used properly. I can't really blame Mac when he gets the consensus best player available in the draft in Leonard Williams-a pick that pretty much EVERYONE said was a can't miss-and the best we've seen from him is "just barely good enough to start". That's on Bowles and his dysfunctional system.

13. NCJetsfan

Mac may not have done a good job in hiring the present scouts or he may have done the best he could with who was available. He can't hire scouts who are under contract elsewhere or that he doesn't know anything about.

14. NCJetsfan

Good post. I think the best thing for the Jets regardless if Mac stays or goes, is to hire an experienced HC. With a very young team like the Jets, an experienced HC is best. He wouldn't be learning on the job how to be a HC and can be a steadying hand. He would garner more respect and confidence from the players and fans.

I think that Mac is supremely confident in himself, but you're right may fear that hiring a coach like one of the Harbaughs or McCarthy would mean that he'd have to give up some (a lot) of his power and control over personnel, so he might not be willing to go there. Chances are that one of those HCs wouldn't want Mac, either, and even more likely is that they wouldn't want to work for the Johnsons.

I think this team is royally screwed, and the sooner we all admit it and find something else to do with our time and lives, the happier we'll all be.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Please share the link to the article or articles that you read. I'd be interested in seeing them. Thanks!

16. NCJetsfan

The problem with that is that even though the Jets have over $100 million, there's probably not going to be a lot of great talent available in FA. I think we may be able to sign an edge rusher or two, and maybe a WR, RB and/or TE to be part of a rotation, but don't think he'll find over 1, maybe 2 starters in FA. I think the best we can hope for is that he can upgrade the depth at several positions. That isn't going to complete any vision, unless his eyesight is extremely limited.

17. tomdeb

tomdeb Well-Known Member

First of all, there is nothing "magic" about Mike McNuts.

Secondly, if this article is true, this will ensure the jets stay in basement of the AFC East for many more years. McNuts is terrible at drafting players--look at his high picks D. Smith, C.Hack., Lo Mauldin, Chad Hansen. Ard Stewart, B. Petty, etc. Look especially at the insane 2017 draft when he chooses ZERO OL and DL, but chooses FOUR DBs and THREE receivers IN ONE DRAFT, none of which has done squat save Adams. Oh, let's not forget his eye for free agents/resignings like Revis, Fitz, MoWilk, Trumaine and his $72M (great contracts for the jets). But Mike should especially be retained with his excellent work on building a quality offensive line--after he HAS used TWO whole draft picks in four years to select OL, both in the 5th round. The dumb shit even announced publicly that he prefers not to use quality picks on the OL, preferring to fill with mid round picks and free agents--worked real well, hasn't it--about got Petty killed last year. In fact, it is so STUPID for McNuts to even ANNOUNCE publicly that he won't use (and has not used) high draft picks on the OL--It just gives teams drafting near/around the time of the jets an advantage because the know McIdiot will not take a quality OL who might be available. Bowles is half the problem, McIdiot is the other half. Retaining McNuts makes sure the new coach will have the same low quality of players which make up the current jets roster. I really wonder what it would be like to follow a football team that had people in charge who knew what they were doing.

JetsNation06 likes this.
  18. Quinnenthebeast

That shouldn’t be a bad thing necessarily. He shouldn’t feel the need to go out and acquire every single free agent to solve our problems. I’d rather he spend a moderate amount and get us what we really need. Perhaps the team won’t be 100% complete but we should be competitive enough next year to make the playoffs or be in the hunt until late in the year at least.

19. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

We were willing to settle for rosterable.

Doreblade, Cidusii and PennyRoyal10 like this.
  20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

not to mention he went hard after cousins and signed teddy as insurance who he was able to trade for a 3rd rounder before the season. Mac has overall done a great job outside his misses in the middle rounds but his top picks have all been great and he's found some gems in the late rounds. he's also done very good with trades and free agents overall and managing the cap. remember he is only in year 2 of a full rebuild and it took the rams GM 6 years to get to where they are now