Bates admits the problem with the offense is him

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Nov 9, 2018.

1. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Do you think?

All I remember is us collapsing after leads as the OC went scared.

2. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i think it's not fair to give him 0 credit towards mahomes performance this year or even hunts performance the past 2 years but yeah i was probably a bit hasty giving him too much credit as ried deserves the bulk of it. but ried isn't available obviously and eric comes from a winning coaching tree, has experience, and is learning form one of the best still and the OC of one of the most high powered offenses in the NFL with a 2nd year QB and 2nd year RB. plus i'm not sold on replacing bowles until after 2019. i'd give him and bates 1 more year. no playoffs in 2019 then we fire them both which leaves it open for eric assuming he does it again next year and is still a hot candidate

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I'm not saying he was Bill Walsh.... but he was better than the mess they have now

4. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

I'd be better than the mess we have now and I know fuck all

5. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Hell no
    Bowles, Bates, Rodgers, the hot dog vendor in sec 111 all have to go.
    Keep this shit show another year, hinder Darnold's growth at best, to give a former RB , first year OC time to grow before coming here to groom what's left of Darnold?
    If you want some one from Reid's staff, I have no problem with that. Toub is the guy. But this off season has to be the timeline
    If the past 2 week, on top of the last 3 1/2 seasons aren't enough to convince you Bowles must go, I can't take your opinion on a replacement seriously.
    This isn't personal. We're just at 2 completely different ends of the spectrum and will never agree.
    My list of candidates is pretty short, Toub, DeFilippo, and Harbaugh.

6. GasedAndConfused

I don't take it personal. the jets suck, you are frustrated and acting out of emotion. Gms have to plan for years ahead to build a franchise, while fans are often short sighted and want things fixed now. it's pretty normal. we all get in those "mindframes" at times, I just pull it back before i post. it's like playing chess, sure you can capture a rook and take a lead, but it doens't work well when the other player wanted you to do that because he's thinking 3 moves ahead and checkmates you in 3 moves.

At the end of the day, we all knew this season was a wash. nobody expected to win more then 5-6 games anyway. we'll probably win 3-4 so it's whatever, we expected it so not sure why people are so angry now when we all expected to suck this year? my outlook is this since we have a few options

1) fire bowles, bates, and rodgers - this means that danrold now has to learn a new offense in year 2 so this year didn't progres him as much as we would have liked. it alos means that the new regime gets 3 more years and if we pick bad we pissed away darnolds whole rookie contract

2) fire bowles, keep bates and rodgers - not many HCs will want to walk into someone elses staff, this limits candidates. it does give darnold and bates 1 more year to get it right though.

3) keep them all - gives darnold 1 more year of not having to learn a new playbook or system and see with added talent if we can make a playoff and improve

IMO everything we do from this point on for the next few years, should be about what is best for darnold. and to me that means giving him 1 more year in the same system but using our picks and cap room to improve the talent around him. I don't see a coaching change as anything good for darnold right now. unless we keep bates but again that likely means we won't get an offensive minded HC when if we wait 1 more year we can wipe the staff clean. fans just need patience at times

7. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The problem with keeping this coaching staff is that they have done little if anything to deserve another year. There's acting out of emotion and there's calling a spade a spade.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

i'm not disagreeing with you but the outlier is bates. he's been out of football for a few years. he's only coached 10 games for us. you fire him after the season and darnold starts over, you don't fire him and that limits the coaches we can get. sure bowles/rodgers haven't shown enough to deserve another year but bates hasn't had a chance. even bellichick sucked as a HC to start off, Cleveland would have been better keeping him and giving him a couple extra years he didn't deserve. so we basically do that with bowles or give up on bates too soon and hurt darnolds development. I don't want to see darnold have to learn a new offense in each of his 1st 2 years. you want to ruin a young QB that's the best way to do it. 3 offenses in 3 years is rough for any QB (college offense, bates offense, new OC offense) at least if he gets a year to be comfortable in an offense with more talent around him then we switch, he's better off for that or maybe bates earns his worth and we just move on form bowles and rodgers. maybe if we wait a year we can coax harbrough out of Michigan.

9. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The fact that this guys was the smartest offensive mind in the room should tell you everything you need to know about this CS.

Bring on the offseason.

CotcheryFan and Cman68 like this.
  10. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

They actually fired the smartest guy and kept the yes man..

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

It was a blunder to hire a guy who was out of football for as long as he was as the OC, especially when last year's OC showed some creativity with his playcalling. Bates has been uninspiring as OC. The last thing I want is for Darnold to be ruined because the coaching staff couldn't develop him. Also Belichick made the playoffs with Cleveland, something Bowles has failed to do in 4.5 seasons with the Jets. IMO, there is no sign of Bowles improving.

12. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

13. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

C'mon....how much has Darnold learned?

How to corral errant snaps?
    How to duck & cover?
    How to throw a 5 yard completion on 3rd & 7?

Anything he's learned he should unlearn.

He should be debriefed and deloused.

Scrub his hard drive and install a new operating system.

Let's pray itsi not too late.

Cman68 and CotcheryFan like this.
  14. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Or more likely Bates has no worth to earn and we waste another year of Sam's career.

Ralebird likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Was such a heartwarming story--the dude checked out of life for a while and walked the Appalachian Trail, truly inspiring and soulful.

GTFO of here--in order to excel at the highest level in the NFL you have to go all in.

16. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

It's really not an emotional decision for me. I was a Bowles defender. He hasn't had alot of talent to work with. But his poor decisions have compounded the problems. He has not grown as a HC. Is making the same mistakes as 2015.
    Keeping long at center, while detrimental to Darnold and the entire offense is inexcusable. 1 game would not have been acceptable, several? No excuses.
    I was expecting 5-6 wins but in no way was I expecting the team to fold. Losing to a 2 win Bills team would be bad it the team was competitive, losing in the fashion they lost yesterday, completely unacceptable.
    Bates offense is terrible. Poor play calling , poor execution.
    Rodgers D ? Equally bad. The D can't cover anyone, the tackling is terrible. No basic fundamentals.
    Replacing the staff at seasons end does not negate what Darnold learns this season. He isn't being properly coached now. Hasn't improved. Another year of this staff and his rookie deal is wasted.
    The entire staff needs to go, along with Mac. He can not evaluate talent and entrusting him with $100 million dollars and another draft is a mistake.
    Your right that Darnold should be the priority. That's why this regime has to go at seasons end.

#76 TonyFtLaud, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    FJF and Cidusii like this.
  17. Doreblade

Doreblade Active Member

I'm not particularly worried about a Darnold learning a new play book in his second year. The way he's handling things so far - the ups and downs of a very young and inexperienced rookie QB - it seems to me he has the brains to take on board the role as an superior NFL QB and adapt accordingly. I'm quite impressed actually so far given the piss poor OL in front of him, the failure of young offensive players to step up to the plate and the pre cold war play calling from the coaching staff.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

18. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No but hell no on Bowles. He has done nothing, not a damned thing but get worse. He is hugely over his head and outcoached by HC every single week. He should have been fired last year.

19. GasedAndConfused

whats done is done though. you can't unfire a guy we can only focus on what's best for the future. we all agree bates playcalling sucks. we all agree bowles hasn't done enough to warrant keeping his job. the thing we don't agree on is the timeline. if we didn't draft darnold i'd say shitcan them both after this season (no point to fire midseason IMO) but as it stands now were probably better off giving the current staff 1 more season.

he's learned a system and a playbook. even if it's a shitty one having to relearn all that again next offseason isn't good for him
    i get all that for sure. i disagree on mac though. he convinced ownership to rebuild just 2 years ago, got us our FQB, and now has 7 more picks and 100mil to spend to improve the roster again. he's made a lot of good moves. he's done shitty in the middle of the draft but very well in the front and back end, very good in trades, and very good in free agency and managing the cap. I don't want to see mac go. as far as the coaches it is what it is. they don't deserve to be here anymore but i'm thinking about darnold and how it effects him.
    if we learned anything from the buffalo game, it's how impressive darnold has been in his current situation
    he'll land a job as a DC. he knows how to call a good defense. when rodgers was out, bowles had some of the best defenses the jets have seen in years.

LAJet likes this.
  20. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Many good points. Excellent observation on Darnold and Mac. Bowles will make a solid D.C.