POLL : Your choice for next Jets Head Coach

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 5, 2018.

?

What would you prefer?

1. An ex NFL Head Coach

39.2%
  2. Current NFL Offensive Coordinator with no prior HC experience

43.3%
  3. Current NFL Defensive Coordinator with no prior HC experience

2.1%
  4. Current College Head Coach with zero NFL experience

15.5%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carpetbagger

Carpetbagger Well-Known Member

I don’t want anyone from college. That’s too big a jump with a 2nd year qb.

DeFillipo is my early favorite.

2. MDJets

MDJets Well-Known Member

No to Jim and a big YES to John. John is discipline and gets players to play hard and right way even with the losses of some players. Jim has already proven he cannot manage NFL players.

3. JetsFan

JetsFan Well-Known Member

I would take either. After the parade of crappy head coaches these two would be the brass ring, but Jim is the offensive guy we have needed for a long time.

4. JetsNation06

JetsNation06 Well-Known Member

Harbaugh ain't coming to the Jets so just stop with that garbage. He's at his dream job and he sure as hell ain't leaving that for a sh*tshow like the Jets. If he comes back to the NFL it'd be for a marquee franchise job which we are not.

Toub, DeFilippo, McDaniels, and Haley would be the names that I want this franchise to target. All innovative offensive minds and for the most part very highly thought of at the pro level.

FJF likes this.
  5. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Save me a seat on that Matt Campbell bandwagon especially if it means we get David Montgomery in a package deal.

6. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Yea been reading a lot about Matt Campbell today, he is a very intriguing choice and just might have jumped up to top of the list for me.

7. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Anybody whose name is "Interim" is fine with me for now. Except Rodgers or Bates.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

I'll you one better:

9. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

I’m not sure it will make a difference getting an offensive or defensive coach as much as getting a tenured NFL coach. We have had rookie HCs for too long. The last time we had an experienced HC was the 90s. The 90s! This is probably because no HC with experience wants to work for the Johnson’s. Whenever there is a quality HC available and our name comes up, they laugh.

10. NYJalltheway

NYJalltheway Well-Known Member

TwoHeadedMonster and stinkyB like this.
  11. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Toub an innovative offensive mind? He's a STs coach for crying out loud.

McDaniels? He sucks, and has no character. I'd rather fold the franchise than hire that POS

DeFilippo or Haley I could live with.

I'm not sure that Harbaugh is at his dream job or that he wouldn't come to the Jets. The NFL is the tops for football. Michigan isn't even the tops for collegiate football. I believe he would love to come back to the NFL. If Harbaugh was offered enough, given complete control, with a young FQB prospect and some other good young talent, a ton in cap space, and picking in the top 5 in the draft with 7 draft picks, he might take the Jets job.

12. NCJetsfan

Jim Harbaugh has proven no such thing. Do you know what John's record is since their SB win? 44-45 with all the talent that Ozzie Newsome has provided. I probably would take him over one of the young OCs, but only because he's an experienced HC and I think that's what we need. I'd much rather have Jim.

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I just looked at info on Matt Campbell. Sign me up for that guy.

14. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

Every time the new coach discussion comes up, it always amazes me how many people believe in the myth of the magical unicorn (ex-NFL head coach that is good and is also available). If a jobless ex-head coach was that good, he wouldn't be jobless.

FJF and TwoHeadedMonster like this.
  15. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

no to haley!!!. chiefs, browns, and steelers fired him.

joe likes this.
  16. JetsNation06

Try doing some research before making quick, ignorant broad strokes like "He's a ST's coach". Toub has been touted as a great innovator on ST's going back to his days with Reid in Philly and that has extended to the offensive philosophy while working under Reid. That is why he is now the Asst HC of the Chiefs. He also did the same thing in Chicago for many years. Many in league circles have championed this guy as a potentially very good HC candidate.

Here's an article that talks about some of his impressive coaching highlights... https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...nd-the-one-that-teams-are-too-scared-to-hire/

Sometimes you need to take a chance on a guy who has never been a HC but has the pedigree for the job. Just look at McVay and what he's doing now.

Actually Harbaugh is at his dream job. He's only said it ad nauseum before and during his time there. And Harbaugh could get almost any open job he wants if he decided to come back to the pros. So again, why would he take a moribund franchise like the Jets? This isn't a highly attractive job and it's been proven over the years with continual strikeouts of the best candidates. Harbaugh ain't coming here. He's too smart for that. This is a job for a guy who wants a shot and has enough inner confidence to know he can turn this mess around.

Your mindset and other Jets fans like you is one of the big problems with getting this thing turned around. You need to open your mind a bit and start considering other alternatives. Don't be so quick to shoot down new ideas and guys with impressive backgrounds who may just need their first shot as an NFL HC.

17. JetsNation06

And Belichick was fired by the Browns. Sh*t happens! Big Ben had some of his most prolific years ever under Haley. His personality clashes seem to be the bigger issue with him. I don't have him on the top of the wish list but I'd definitely consider him as he's a quality offensive mind.

dawinner127 likes this.
  18. NCJetsfan

I have done research on Toub since someone mentioned his name the other day, so you can keep your igorant comment and apply it to yourself, since you seem to be clueless on the history of Jets HCs. Sorry, but if not wanting a STs coach as HC means I'm closed minded, I can live with that. I think this team needs an experienced HC first and foremost, and then someone who has an offensive background and who will stress offense first and foremost.

In case you haven't been paying attention (which you obviously haven't), the franchise's history is full of taking a chance on guys who have never been a HC. The list is endless and every single one of them sucked and failed. Enough. We've only had 3 experience HCs in our history: Weeb Ewbank, Richie Kotite, and Bill Parcells, and it's no coincidence that two of them were the two best HCs we've had in our franchise history, so get outta here with your nonsense as if we have never hired a first-time HC.

As for my mindset, that's laughable. Neither my mindset, nor any other fan's mindset, has had nothing to do with the decisions that that boob Woody has made or will make in the future. My mind has been open and I've considered alternatives. I'm actually one of the most open-minded posters here. Many posters here have their minds set in concrete and think they have all the answers. I consider others' opinion and have often changed my mind when someone convinced me otherwise.

I've been a fan since 1965, maybe 1964. Have you been a fan that long? Based on your avatar, it sounds like you've only been a fan since 2006. If so, that probably makes you a teenager or in your 20s. Grow up, follow the Jets as long as I have, and then you can speak to me about whether my mind is open or not, sonny.

I just read the article you linked. It's from 2016. Jason La Canfora is not high on my list of NFL people I respect a lot, but he makes some good points about how the NFL is a copycat league and more often than not, there's no out of the box thinking. He makes it sound like great OCs and QB coaches grow on trees, however, and nothing could be further from the truth.

He obviously loves Toub, and reading how he glows about Toub, it's hard not to like Toub more. I have no problems with Toub being considered or interviewed, and the idea of having great STs is intriguing, but he would be far from my first choice.

That said, Canfora's picks are a mixed bag. Some are spot on (McVay) and others miss badly. His 12 coaches are: Toub, Gruden, Coughlin, McDaniels, Haley, Mike Smith, Jim Schwartz, Kyle Shanahan, Teryl Austin, Vance Joseph, Sean McVay, and Russ Grimm. Gruden's not looking so good in his return, and Vance Joseph is awful. The jury's still out on Shanahan, but he isn't looking so great this season. Teryl Austin was just fired by the Bengals as DC. So much for him. Coughlin's too old. Mike Smith is still unemployed. Schwartz was awful as the Lions' HC, but is doing pretty well as DC of the Eagles. That might be where he belongs. Besides, most of the HCs in the Jets' recent history have been former DCs or defensive position coaches. It's time for a change. Grimm is a great OL coach, but that doesn't mean he would make a good HC. He's been strongly considered for 2-3 HC jobs and didn't get any of them. I wouldn't even consider McDaniel after what he did to the Colts this year. He's a POS whose word means nothing.

#198 NCJetsfan, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Belichick and Reid say hi.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Something tells me that Bowles will not become nearly as accomplished as those 2 in his second HC gig.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.