Mike Macc - just as bad

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by nevbeats319, Sep 21, 2018.

1. jets_fan

jets_fan Well-Known Member

We won't have to worry about Bell coming here. There's no amount of money out there that could get him to come join this dumpster fire.

We're going to have $100 million to spend, but a lot of the top free agents are going to do to us what Kirk Cousins did last year, use our large offer to get someone else to increase theirs. We needed to show some semblance of competence this year to keep the rebuild on track, but instead we've completely imploded and the whole thing has come off the tracks. Quality free agents aren't coming here unless we overpay to the point that we hamper our chances of improving other areas of the team in the process.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  2. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree if Mac, Bowles and his staff remain in place. Even with them gone, many FAs probably won't want to sign here. The Johnsons hiring a Director of Football Operations and letting him take over running of the team and the Johnsons stepping back, or giving one of the Harbaughs whatever they want to come here are our only hope for FA (that or just sheer greed on the part of some players, and they probably wouldn't even be the types of players we'd want).

3. Mavericknyc1980

Mavericknyc1980 Active Member

Macc has been equally as bad

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

Think the problem with Mac, aside from all the busted picks, is all of the busted trades we heard about.

Macc seems too nice for negotiations and it seems as though trade partners always wind up dealing players to other teams instead of the Jets.

5. Benny the Jet

Benny the Jet Active Member

When you go back and look at all of Macs drafts in Houston when he was director of scouting, it’s almost scary how bad the picks were. There are a few (at most) that are legit nfl players and too many aren’t even in the NFL anymore. Obviously, he isn’t solely responsible for the picks, but it’s a huge indictment on him being that his sole responsibility was to tell the GM who he felt was worthy of being drafted.

Unfortunately for us, that trend has seemingly continued here. He’s a freaking disaster.

Red Menace likes this.
  6. AlexJETS

AlexJETS Well-Known Member

Any chance we can get Ozzie Newsome as director of player personnel?

7. barfolomew

barfolomew Well-Known Member

I have to stand up for Mac, I joined the forum just to do that. I think that Bowles, not Mac is the problem. For all his drafting woes Mac recognized from his start here that the Jets needed a long term QB. He has aggressively tried to fill that need. It lead him to reach on Bryce Petty and Christian Hackenberg, neither worked out but he recognized the need and tried to fill it. Also, recall at the time Christian Hackenberg had many analysts supporting him (he had many detractors as well). It remains to be seen, but I believe he struck gold with Darnold.

I see his draft in 2017 as brilliant. Everyone was befuddled when we took a safety in the first and second round. I was as well, but it quickly dawned on me, with a secondary as depleted as ours was, what does drafting one safety get you? Nothing. With two Grade A safeties drafted, our secondary issues were mitigated.

The Kearse - Richardson trade was also competent. He traded a player for another player of equal talent at his position and also secured a draft pick. This draft pick was later used to get Sam Darnold.

I know he hasn't been perfect, but I think many issues with his picks under performing stem form coaching, not from the merit of the picks themselves.

If Bowles is fired, I think that Mac should stay.

BrickcityJet and The Dark Knight like this.
  8. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Petty and Hack were terrible. Even the ShamWow guy couldn't spin those picks into a positive. We'll see about Darnold.

In 2017 we could've had Mahomes or Watson. And Mac's choice to pass up on them for a safety was brilliant?

Wow, a competent trade.

I also know he hasn't been perfect. Unfortunately there's a huge gap between not perfect but good and not perfect but bad.

Maybe a better coach would've made Mac look better. Maybe a better GM would've made Bowles look better. Either way they both look awful.

If (better be when, not if) Bowles is fired, Mac should go with him, joined at the hip.

9. NCJetsfan

I disagree. Usually teams want to hold up/rob other teams in trades. Mac didn't overpay for players in trades. If he had, posters would be killing him for that. Teams who are closer than we are can afford to overpay for players in a trade, but a team like ours with so many holes and so little depth cannot afford to overpay in draft picks.

Imagesrdecieving and GQMartin like this.
  10. NCJetsfan

Welcome to the forum! I think the primary problem is Bowles, but Mac is also a big part of the problem. He has missed on too many picks in the 2nd-5th rounds, and his first 2 drafts were pretty awful. I've been one of Mac's biggest supporters and made many excuses and tried to think of good reasons why he made some of the decisions and picks he has, but that is at an end.

I can understand Petty, but not Hack.

I think you don't give Mac enough credit for the Richardson-Kearse trade. Getting both a 2nd round pick and Kearse for Richardson was nothing short of brilliant!

I think his 2017 draft while good on the surface, ultimately was bad. I love Adams, but Mahomes would have been a much better pick. There a real FQB prospect with amazing arm talent and mobility was there for the taking without having to trade up. By not taking Mahomes, Mac had to trade 3 second round picks to get Darnold. Then in the 2018 draft he could have quite possibly traded down with a team wanting either Rosen or Allen (or another player) and garnered an additional pick or picks. At worst, he could have taken one of Roquan Smith, Minkah Fitzpatrick, Derwin James, Mike McGlinchey, Quenton Nelson, Marcus Davenport, Jaire Alexander, Frank Ragnow, Billy Price, Isaiah Wynn, DJ Moore, Hayden Hurst or Calvin Ridley. Then with our 2-second round picks and the additional picks gained in trading down (if indeed we had traded down), Mac could have addressed a lot more holes/needs or upgraded the talent level in a very real and significant way. We'd also have our 2nd round pick in the 2019 draft.

While Wilkerson was coming off a huge year, there had already been problems with his being late to meetings. Mac should have included language in the contract to protect the Jets if Wilkerson didn't shape up. He didn't.

He has failed to address the OL in a significant fashion, instead settling for second- or third-rate castoffs, has been an abject failure at drafting WRs, and not much better with TEs, and there are many players he passed on that could have helped this team, while ones he did take were busts/failures. While Bowles and his staff have failed to develop the players that Mac has drafted or put them in a position to succeed, it cannot be argued that the talent level of this team is still severely lacking after 4 years of Mac being a GM. Could he do a better job in 2019? Perhaps, but that is taking a big risk. Mac has not done a good job in FA, even if you excuse many of his signing in his first year with the Jets as being ordered by Woody to win immediately and having to spend a lot of money to satisfy the league spending rules. I thought Trumain Johnson would have been a bad signing and he has been. He opted for Long instead of Weston Richburg or Ryan Jensen. He settled for Terrelle Pryor at WR instead of Allen Robinson, Donte Moncrief, Jarvis Landry, Sammy Watkins, Allen Hurns and/or Jordy Nelson.

11. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

That's a lot of 'what ifs'. And I'm not sure Pat Mahomes would still be Pat Mahomes if he were a Jet playing under this coaching staff.

Imagesrdecieving and MoWilkBeast like this.
  12. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

13. Jersey Joe 67

Jersey Joe 67 Well-Known Member

Both Macc & Bowles need to go... this team is a sinking ship.

NCJetsfan and NYJetsO12 like this.
  14. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

From Tannebaum to Mac we can question every draft of the last three gms. Between the Jet fans I know and most of the people on here I really think we can do a better job than them. That being said you have to look at Macs drafts and free agent moves. Are there any building blocks? Anyone that will contribute after this year?

Definite will be around: Darnold, Adams, and Maye

Question marks: Leonard Williams: Do we pay him? Right price etc but as the 6th overall pick everyone loved him coming out but he is not disruptive and is not worth top dlineman money.

D. Lee: Made improvements this year but same with Williams is he worth top dollar?

Beyond these five is there anyone to else? Four years. Three players I can think of that at this point we should keep. Beyond that everyone should be available or could be cut. Based on that it should be a house cleaning. We can't trust this guy siging free agents and making more picks. Everyone will tie him Darnold and the trade but you have to look at the whole picture not just that pick.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

McQuire
    Herndon
    Edwards
    Myers
    Enunwa
    Shepard
    Maybe Shell

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Mcguire yes. A punter. Fine but how was that 30 yarder yesterday. Myers nice pick up but free agent and a kicker. I feel like we can find them on trees. Enuwa Idzik draftee. Shell yes. Shepard want to root for the guy but has he done anything this year. That being said beyond Shell everyone you mentioned could easily be replaced.

17. NCJetsfan

Mahomes would still be a good QB. He probably wouldn't be as good as he is under Reid's tutelage, but I believe that he still would be better than Darnold.

It's not really a lot of "what ifs." We know for a fact that if Mac had taken Mahomes instead of Adams that we would have had our FQB prospect, so there would have been no need to trade up in the 2018 draft, unless it was to get Bradley Chubb, so the Jets would still have those 3-second round picks that they traded to move up with Cleveland. It's quite possible that if the Jets hadn't traded up that Denver might have taken Darnold and then Chubb could have been there for the Jets without trading up. With all the teams needing QBs, it's also very possible that some team might have wanted to trade up ahead of Miami or Arizona, but even if not, the team could, and perhaps should be better off with Mahomes plus the players they would have taken with their 1st round pick and 2 second round picks and still having their 2019 2nd round pick, than they are with just Darnold and Adams. The only way that they wouldn't have been is if Mac blew almost every single one of those picks. With as good and deep as the 2018 draft was and as good as the 2019 draft is supposed to be, that would have been pretty darned difficult.

18. Rollo Tomassi

Yes easily replaced. But why replace 5-6 guys that are worthy of sticking when there are 40 other guys that aren’t.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  19. AJT73

AJT73 Well-Known Member

Sorry I thought by adding those names you were supporting Mac. That's why I said they could be replaced. I wouldn't get rid of them but none of them are great picks.

20. Rollo Tomassi

Nope strictly talking about the players.