As bad as I have seen in 30+ years, the way forward is..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Nov 5, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

You are right about Bowles not having much talent and this is why Macc deserves criticism for missing on too many rounds 2-4 draft picks. But, that shouldn't exonerate Bowles from punting when he should go for it, not making adjustments during games, and having a 20th century mindset of winning with a strong defense and running game. The Jets have Darnold on his rookie contract. This is when it'll be easy to build around him before he takes up a bigger portion of the cap. I don't want them to mess this up, but fear they will. And Macc may have had his best draft this year, but his first 3 had too many misses.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. maynardsmyhero-uk

maynardsmyhero-uk Well-Known Member

Should have waited a week.......

3. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The offense has no talent and now the defense has quit.

What a total disaster.

westiedog1 likes this.
  4. BIGREX

BIGREX Member

5. Eastriverdiver

Eastriverdiver New Member

13 wins next year...my guarantee.

6. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

This makes the Miami game look like the Monday night miracle. Has a coach ever been fired at halftime?

7. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I feel like the the last holdout juror in the movie "12 Angry Men" (not the 2 prejudiced ones, but the one played by E.G. Marshall) who stubbornly hung on to his position despite seeing all the important evidence being unraveled until it was no longer tenable. Today's performance was the final piece of evidence for me. Not only should Todd Bowles be fired, but he should be fired immediately. It's not just the loss, but the circumstances of this loss clearly require a message sent that this kind of performance is totally unacceptable.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I KNEW we could win you over! Sadly, it doesn't feel like a win.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

At what point does the league step in and make the Jets hire George Young to right the ship?

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  10. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

The Jets haven't drafted well since 2006 at least. 12 drafts is a long time to go with only 2 players a draft making any kind of impact.

I think a thorough review of the scouting, talent acquisition and development process is a logical thing to do and the focus of the inquiry should be on how to stop acting like The Jets on all three points. The people who should be doing the review should have distinguished records in terms of all three also. Like a Blue Ribbon panel of Hall of Fame management types. Not hacks who couldn't keep a job in the NFL - guys who retired with honors.

I'm not talking about hiring consultants to hire the next GM and coach. I'm talking about hiring guys to take a long look at two decades worth of talent mismanagement and write a (likely scathing) review for the owners to take into account when they make the next set of hires.

Among the covered topics would likely be favoritism, showmanship and risk-taking alongside a weak talent evaluation process that overly prioritized the head coaches input on high round talent and relegated lower round picks to the trash heap of trading up and for vets.

The Jets have not had a solid talent acquisition process since Bill Parcells left town and even then there were heavy concessions made to current years at the expense of any coherent plan for the future.

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

How about asking why this team has gone defense in round 1 every year between the Sanchez and Darnold picks when the league has moved towards more offense with its rule changes. And why this team has neglected the OL for so long after the '06 draft.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Good idea, but who would they be and how long would such a review take? Even if it could done by a blue-ribbon panel before the end of the season, what good would it do? Would the new GM have to agree with its recommendations going forward? Even if he did and we hire a great new GM, if our present scouts are lacking, he can't hire scouts to replace them who aren't available. If our top GM candidates didn't agree with the recommendations it makes, what then? Are we going to be happy with the Johnsons making the choice between the two? Do we wind up without a GM or hiring a lesser candidate who agrees with the recommendations?

I think that first and foremost, the Johnsons need to hire someone to run the team and make all decisions regarding its future and hiring/firing. Maybe we can use Ozzie Newsome and Ron Wolff to recommend a former HC, GM, Administrator or Player who is experienced, knowledgeable, and was a winner to run the team.

13. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Welcome aboard.

14. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You nailed it! But I would go one further and say they haven't had a solid talent acquisition process since Ewbank and Werblin. Parcells was an improvement over what he followed, but that's not saying much, and he did blow the Peyton Manning acquisition. I don't know has been running that side of things, but that is the root of all evil in the franchise.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  15. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I really just can't accept this argument anymore. Bowles might not have had an all world team in his time here, but he had enough to not have the team get trounced by the worst team in the league. And has had enough not to make the same mistakes week in and week out, and make zero adjustments.

BOWLES has got to go.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  16. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

Coming back to this thread....THIS game was one of he worst Jets efforts I’ve seen in a while. Right thread title, wrong week.

17. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Not that I am aware of, but CB Vontae Davis retired at halftime when the Bills played the Chargers in September, haha.

Metstrife likes this.
  18. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Just can’t see this ownership being shamed into anything so sensible.

Tebow and Revis mk II are a really damning snapshot into what Woody’s priorities are.