Should have Kept Rex

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longislandjetfan, Nov 11, 2018.

1. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

2. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Well lets see... Good defense? check. Shit offense? check....

3. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

SERIOUSLY?! o_Oo_O:confused:o_O

4. joe

joe Well-Known Member

Rex, the guy who hired Tony "I-fist-pump-for-field-goals" Sparano as his offensive coordinator = Jason Myers, team MVP.

Sam Darnold's "development" under a Rex Ryan regime would be regression-in-freefall.

Rex Ryan teams after a bye week?......always unprepared.

Remember 2014? A Rex Ryan team faced a snowed-in Buffalo Bills team whose game preparation was totally disrupted and who had everything going against them heading into a moved-to-Detroit MNF game to the point where some Buffalo players actually had to be picked up via snowmobile in order to hook up with the team flight out to Ford Field in Detroit......Buffalo 38, Jets 3.

Cman68 and westiedog1 like this.
  5. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Tend to agree with this. In spite of Mangini naming his kid after Favre, I always got the sense that Mangini didn't want him here and he was forced to use him by Woody. Once you bring in a guy like Favre, you kind of loose control of your team. I think Mangini paid the price for the Jets signing Favre.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Perhaps. If so, the Jets have driven me crazy. That's my story and I'm sticking to it! LOL

I said "maybe." Mangini did have a pretty good eye for talent. If he wasn't so anal and secretive, he would have been a good HC. The team was disciplined and prepared to play each week. He may not have learned a thing over the years. If not, then we move on. I'm just saying that if he has learned and stopped being such a tight ass, he knows the game. It was just a possibility. I'm not saying that I want him, but it's clear that we need someone with experience from coaching, playing, or working in the FO of and NFL team or the NFL to run this team, and keep the Johnsons from meddling.

7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Bingo.

8. IBLEEDGREEN17

IBLEEDGREEN17 Well-Known Member

9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Rex sounds the most intelligent and mature there I've ever heard him. Good for him.

Ralebird and Peebag like this.
  10. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

While I do agree Rex was better than Bowles, it wasn't by a lot, but getting Sanchez to AFC title game twice was a big accomplishment. I would have loved to have Rex as DC, he just wasn't HC material. What the Jets need to do is bring in an offensive coach, and then hire a good DC to compliment him. I'm tired of defensive head coaches that essentially call defense but ignore the offense and don't even hire quality OCs. It's been a shit show since Morningwood left, just replacing OCs with an assistant coach and hoping it works. MM to Morton to Bates. Who's next on the coaching staff to be OC? Might as well put Kacy Rodgers there, it can't be much worse LOL.

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  11. Sam Hammer

Kind of funny that Rex said it might be THE worst game, when he coached the buttfumble game and the 45-3 game, both of which were way worse than that. Granted Buff is no NE.

SIGN THIS BEAST LOL!

#51 Sam Hammer, Nov 12, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 12, 2018
    NCJetsfan likes this.
  12. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

Getting "Blowes" out by NE and Brady is WAYYYYYYYYYYY different than losing to the lowly Bills and Matt Fucking Barkley, A FOURTH STRING QB WHO HASN'T PLAYED IN 2 YEARS AND WAS JUST PICKED UP OFF THE STREET A WEEK AGO. There's got be limits to the Rex hate.

13. legler82

legler82 Well-Known Member

AFCCGs aside, I will always love the guy because he loved being the Jet coach; Bowles appears like he could care less.

14. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

One thing you appreciate about Rex is that he understands the history of this franchise and the frustration of the fanbase. That said... We were right to dump him and I wouldn't want him back.

15. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Agreed, but his Get Up rant was SO on point.

16. Linebacker712

Linebacker712 Well-Known Member

Rex was a better coach than Bowles, but he DID have many of the same weaknesses, many of which are fatal flaws, as Bowles. Like Bowles, he didn't know how, or even seem to care, to develop or properly use young players, leading many first rounders to go bust, and many late rounders to never even play a down in the regular season. Neither was good at tailoring the team to the players strengths; it's all about putting round pegs in square holes. Neither one was very good at planning and preparing, or making in-game adjustments. Neither coach was good at holding their players accountable for bad behavior on or off the field, and neither was willing to hold players accountable for poor play. Neither played to win on offense. Really, Rex only had three things that Bowles didn't have: 1) An actual personality and enthusiasm 2) A good mind for defense which, when he had the right personnel, was among the best in the league 3) He was able to get his team up for big games, and won a lot when the Jets should have lost.

17. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Since Rex loves the Jets so much maybe he’d come be DC for a Defillipo or Lefleur.

18. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I loved Rex here for his personality and fire. He loved being a Jet, how many coaches can we say that about?

Would you guys take an experienced HC with Rex as a D-coordinator?

19. Sam Hammer

Rex was better than Bowles, no question, but he had plenty of embarrassment games against weak mediocre/bad teams, in fact he got blown out by Buffalo 3 times. He's trying to save face.

2011 week15: 45-19 loss to the Eagles.
    2012 week17: 28-9 loss to Buff w/ Fitz
    2013 week 4_: 38-13 loss to Tennessee w/ Jake Locker
    2013 week11: 37-14 loss to Buff w/ Fitz
    2014 week12: 38-3 loss to Buff w/ Kyle Orton

HomeoftheJets and NCJetsfan like this.
  20. The_Darksider

The_Darksider Well-Known Member

AhAh y, the next coach is just as bad and possibly worse, and suddenly wewe' pining for a guy who might be better. Bullshit, if Rex Ryan was worth holding onto as a coach for 9 years, he'd still be coaching somewhere. He is hot garbage just like Todd Bowles, he just has a more likable personality. Let him go, he sucks!!!