WFAN'S Craig Carton Arrested on Securities, Wire Fraud Charge

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by joe, Sep 6, 2017.

1. joe

joe Well-Known Member

The Six Wives of Craig Carton (Monday's his off day)

[​IMG]

2. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

No, that would be IK Enempkali.

3. matt robinson 17

matt robinson 17 Well-Known Member

4. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

No surprise, Carton convicted of running a Ponzi scheme.

https://www.newsday.com/news/new-york/wfan-craig-carton-trial-1.23044675

This was pretty much a foregone conclusion when his lawyer's closing argument was "Yes, he lied repeatedly, but he didn't want to hurt anyone, so acquit him" and "He's allowed to use the money for anything he wants as long as he intends to pay it back." Uh, if you commit fraud it really doesn't matter if you "didn't want to hurt anyone." Should have taken a deal.

NYJetsO12 and Sam Hammer like this.
  5. NYGalPal

NYGalPal Well-Known Member

“Craig was wrong ever to lie. He was wrong ever to misrepresent. He should be ashamed," Gottlieb said.

“Money is fungible...He was entitled to spend that money on whatever he wanted to spend it on as long as he fulfilled his obligations.”

Where did he find his lawyers? Weird comments like wtf o_O

I found him to be a misogynistic asshole, tbh. I do feel bad for the people he defrauded and his family.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

In the End I guess Craig just Madeoff with other people's money

7. joe

joe Well-Known Member

In the end Craig gets it in the end.
    [​IMG]

8. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

The stuttering prick.

9. jetophile

I have no idea what he could have pled down to, but it seemed like a really big risk to take seeing as his business partner was convicted before him. I also have no idea if what he was convicted of was greater or lesser than Carton, though. His partner in crime got 6 1/2 years if memory serves. I feel really bad for his wife and children, but I also feel bad for all of the people he scammed. He deserves to be punished, that's all there really is to it.

Edited for clarity: really big risk taking it to trial.

#89 jetophile, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
  10. GordonGecko

GordonGecko Well-Known Member

Boomer this morning:
    "You reap what you sew" / cuts to reading advertising

11. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

What a hypocrite. You stay classy, Boomer!

[​IMG]

12. GordonGecko

It took me a while to realize that Boomer hates the Jets. Still like the morning show but the guy is a hard core Cincinnati Bengal through and through

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  13. jetophile

https://nypost.com/2018/11/07/craig...-fraud-charges-could-face-45-years-in-prison/

Holy Smokes. Up to 45 years in the clink. He won't get that, but he's probably looking at roughly 15 - 20? You never know, though, 30? Now I ain't no lawyer, but it appears to me he had stupid inept attorneys. I mean, was the plea deal far more years in prison than what they were willing to settle for and they thought he could walk on at least one of the charges? Wow, what the hell went on there? I trust the gov't as far as I can throw them - which isn't very far - but you know if you get raided by the FBI 8/10 it ain't no mistake and it's looking really bad for you.

EDIT: The other guy who got convicted first, Joseph Meli was in the in the mix, but not the biggest player.

#93 jetophile, Nov 9, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
    FJF likes this.
  14. GordonGecko

I've been hearing 9 years likely for rotten milk carton

The court system is such a long process, he will only get his sentence next year. Happy Thanksgiving and Merry Christmas buddy...

15. jetophile

^So if he only gets 9, he can get out in 6. I think. Still a huge risk to take. I think it's going to depend on how pissed off the judge is. You just know "I have a disease" is coming out at his sentencing to garner sympathy. Everyone has a fckn disease. He'll go to 'rehab' before his sentencing, some 12 Step garbage that isn't science and beg for mercy and talk about soul searching and amends and character defects and all of that shit meanwhile Bill W that religious wacko dropped acid. I'm not saying that gambling isn't a compulsion, but it's also a learned behavior and how addiction is treated in this country isn't treatment at all. 12 Step is so pervasive that people just accept it as efficacious without really knowing that it's ridiculous, including, unfortunately, judges. It isn't efficacious. At all.

16. GordonGecko

Yeah you can be an addict and get into piles of debt, but then running a multi-million dollar fraud operation and lying through your teeth to everyone is another unexcusable level

17. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He will end up doing 3 years and get out in 1 year and a half on parole.Trust me he isnt getting anything close to that.No prior record,a history of charitable causes,etc..

18. GordonGecko

It's the large monetary amount of theft that will kick it up way more than 3 years

19. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Granted I rarely listen to his morning show these days, but I don't get that impression at all. Can't blame him for a bit of Bengal bias, as those were his "glory days"

20. GordonGecko

Craig Carton sentenced to 3.5 years Prison PLUS 3 years Probabtion:
    https://www.si.com/more-sports/2019...ntenced-prison-ticket-fraud-ponzi-scheme-wfan

That sounds like the right sentence, maybe on the harder side - but the guy was stupid he fought the charges when he could have made a plea deal at the beginning. So 6.5 years total under watch. Probation is NOT freedom, you are held by the balls by the parole officer. You have to comply with rules about where you go and when, alcohol and drug restrictions, and depending on how sadistic he is the PO can call their convict at 3 am if they want to and demand they submit for a drug test immediately. Failure to comply means back in jail