As bad as I have seen in 30+ years, the way forward is..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Nov 5, 2018.

1. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Thanks.

I thought I was going crazy.

The Jets are incapable developing an offense, let alone a rookie qb.

Poor kid had to end up in this quagmire of a team.

CBG likes this.
  2. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I'd take a coin flip over Mac and Bowles any day of the week.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  3. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I'm not super crazy about Mac and I think next year will be his prove it year, but Bowles needs to go no matter what. He hasn't shown anything to say that he's improving as a coach and even now last week throwing the defense under the bus was unacceptable. The Jets need an offensive minded coach. That's the way of today's NFL. They need to get out of this late 90s to 2000s mentality that conservative/defensive football is the way to win.

Plus, I think the defense has a good enough core that with a couple additions you could have a solid defense no matter who the coach is.

4. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

I think there has been plenty to criticize with both these guys. We have a GM whose plan was to purge the roster of veterans and play a whole season without any talent in an effort to gain a high draft choice. That strategy almost backfired, but was redeemed by some creative maneuvering and luck in the draft. Bowles has proven he can win. Remember his 1st year? Has he made mistakes, yes, but so have all coaches. Remember Belichick's 4th and 4 decision. Nevertheless, I agree that the next year must be the make or break year for both of them. Firing either one of them at this point only pushes the reset button when the Jets, having secured a very promising QB prospect (the hard part of a rebuild) could be on the verge of something good.

5. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

I think you may get roasted for saying that these guys deserve another year. For myself, I am out of patience with both of them as it feels like the Jets are in this perpetual rebuild. It would have given me some faith if they showed an ability to draft and develop a potential franchise QB but I fear that even if we did draft the right guy, our current org. will just ruin him.

Just ask yourself this question. Considering the Jets were a mess when Ryan and Idzik were canned - have they taken one step forward in the 4 years that Mac and Bowles have been here??

SOJAZ and westiedog1 like this.
  6. westiedog1

Sometimes you have to take a step backward to move forward. At least that's what seems to be Maccagnan's plan. For a team that drafted defense for 6 straight years, in my mind they took a step forward when they drafted Darnold. I'm not worried about whether Darnold can be developed by the current staff. If he can play, and I'm convinced he can, he will develop. He just needs to play and learn. As stated before, I don't necessarily agree with the plan, but I'm willing to acknowledge that there is a plan in place and would like to see if it plays out. Just because I don't agree with his plan doesn't mean it can't be successful if allowed a little more time.

7. BrickcityJet

BrickcityJet Well-Known Member

Lol@worst Jets game in 30 years.

TwoHeadedMonster and westiedog1 like this.
  8. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

The Rams added a ton of talent .
    3/5s of the O line , LT Andrew Whitworth, SC Johnullivan, RG Austin Blythe , Brandon Cooks, CB Marcus Peters, CB Aqib Talib, CB Sam Shields, Suh,
    The line is the biggest factor in the Rams improvement. But adding 6 pro bowlers to an already good roster certainly makes a big impact.

westiedog1 likes this.
  9. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Haha, true, but I actually was in a coma (2003). Not expected to live, the Drs. said it would be better if I died, because no way I wouldn't be blind or deaf or both, a vegetable, or be stuck with severe cognitive deficits with a shit quality of life or all of the above.

The most unfortunate thing about it was that it was during the off-season so there was no benefit to the situation. No-one can explain why I'm alive, and it did come with some challenges, but for the most part I'm just as kooky as before. I have a lot of funny coma stories. We're sick a gig around here.

So anyway, first home game at The Old Dump 11 days off of brain surgery and the Jets lose to the Dolphins. Thanks, Jets. I should have died in that coma and just gotten it over with.

#69 jetophile, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    ConcordeChops likes this.
  10. Im in agreement on MAC.A GM is always gonna get more time than a coach bc they get less swings at the plate over a period of time & its a much more macro in nature.Mac has a good plan in place & has provided top end financial/cap flexibility.Hes drafting to positional strengths w an eye toward future classes which can be effective. I give him next year to put up or shut up w offensive personnel.

Im to the point of including Bowles as part of the talent detriment on this team.The aspects of winning that are on HIM & his staff..not the players..have been an embarassment seemingly every week.This has not gotten better & as hes begun to second guess himself its only gotten worse.Hes clueless but worse yet hes stubborn. His philosophy is dated & short sighted.

I have little doubt the talent aspect is going to turn & this team will have a window to make a jump.When they do & we start contending in meaningful games against real opponents do we need THIS gameday preparation?This non existent clock management?or this offensive philosophy that Bowles own words suggest not turning the ball over is “the most important thing?”

Its been suggested that for the first time in awhile this black monday could have a very strong list of candidates.Is it possible 2018 was the year of the FQB & 19 is the year of the elite HC? Or do we stick w Ray Rhodes 2.0?

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sounds like you're very lucky. The closest I ever came to a coma was on October 11, 1992. The 1 and 4 Bruce Coslet coached team went into Indy against our at the time division rival lead by Jeff George. We lost 6 to 3. I was fine until overtime. On the plus side I never had to wear a boot.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  12. jetophile

Hahaha, you're on fire lately! I just have to know, why did you change your username from WinstonBiggs to just Biggs? Did you forget your password? Probably that. It's too bad both of your accounts can't be merged. People don't know what they're missing.

Best,
    -J

13. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

We've got time, no real football to talk about.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  14. jetophile

Hahaha, you're on fire lately! I just have to know, why did you change your username from WinstonBiggs to just Biggs? Did you forget your password? Probably that. It's too bad both of your accounts can't be merged because people don't know what they're missing (although there were two really big crashes back in the day). Games like that, I used to say they bore me comatose, haha. There was also an away game (Chicago?), very.similar crap game (along with a crap game vs. the Colts). I said, "If Cary Blanchard misses this chip shot FG, there is no God." He missed. Guess what happened next? I shrieked like hell.

Best,
    -J

15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You need a password to get on this site? I'm screwed.

16. westiedog1

I'm thinking of the NY Giants in 2004 when they had Warner and were very competitive in the beginning of the season. Nevertheless, they decided to bench Warner and go with Eli for the second half of the season which turned into a disaster. Coughlin and the FO took a huge amount of abuse for that decision, but that was the plan, and in the end, it paid off. I'm hoping that the same could happen for the Jets. That's why I don't want to see the rug pulled out from either Macc or Bowles just yet.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You would've made a good 1st Mate for Henry Hudson - "Hey guys, really. I just KNOW there's got to a Northwest Passage here somewhere if we just keep going".

When you're lost, the best course of action is to stop and reconsider your assumptions.

18. westiedog1

I was his 1st Mate! We didn't find the Northwest Passage but we found New York Harbor. Not too shabby. I'll take Manhattan!

19. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The difference between us this year and the Giants of 2004 is that they had an experienced HC and GM with a track record of success while our HC and GM are first timers with a ok GM and a below average HC. This regime hasn't earned the benefit of the doubt like the Giants' did back then.

20. Endlessly Counting

Endlessly Counting Well-Known Member

Interesting take... If the Jets are going to break through after 50 years to win a Super Bowl, then the planets are going to have to align, like when the Giants passed on Sam, or if a guy like (JOHN) Harbaugh becomes available.

Jets are NOT a bad destination,....big cap money and a potential franchise QB,,,We should be able to get a top flight coach or hot coordinator

NCJetsfan likes this.