As bad as I have seen in 30+ years, the way forward is..

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by maynardsmyhero-uk, Nov 5, 2018.

1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I often agree with you Westie, but this time, no. Bowles has not shown any growth as a HC; still makes the same mistakes; has absolutely no feel for the offense - yeah, I know, he's a former defensive player and coach, but as HC he needs to understand ALL aspects of his team, and he doesn't. Waiting until a few minutes left in the game to replace Long who OBVIOUSLY wasn't going to get any better and was causing Sam all sorts of problems? And it's clear he's coaching scared. He certainly heard the drumbeat of complaints about him punting from behind, so what does he do yesterday when he SHOULD HAVE punted? That's right, go for it when the offense had only made 2 out of 14 3rd attempts all game! Then blaming the "D" for the loss? Why not just pour a can of gas in the locker room and light it up? It's so obvious that he's in over his head - obvious to all apparently but the Johnson Boys who remain clueless and losers.

Patience? We could sit and out wait the coming melting of the polar ice caps and see that happen before Bowles takes this team to a SB. No thanks.

EDIT:

BTW: Read the article from teh NYT I posted here yesterday about how McVeigh and the Rams built a great OL and see what a GOOD HC does.

2. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Darnold is the standout talent?

He was terrible yesterday...and he's getting worse as the season progresses.

I don't see how a quarterback develops under these conditions. No run game. No receivers. No O line. Shitty unimaginative playcalling.

Snappers that can't snap...or even when to snap. Spenser Long admitted that half his problem is mental at this point.

Sam Darnold was supposed to be the "guy" that could "make things happen" with his feet and arm...improvising us down the field to points and glory.

What a load of crap.

The only thing Sam's got going for him is a decent defense to keep games close...and that's who Bowles throws under the bus?

It's stupefying.

boozer32 and NYJetsO12 like this.
  3. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

QB's have rebounded from terrible first years. The Mannings, Goff to name a few. I never heard that Darnold was going to be a day one savior for the Jets. In fact, just the opposite, that he will need some time to develop and that's just what he's doing now. He's making mistakes but learning.

4. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

What a ridiculous statement. The defense played really good yesterday. How can that make it the worst game you've seen in 30 years? The Jaguars game from this year was worse.

This is truly an example of the recency bias.

TwoHeadedMonster and westiedog1 like this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

The only thing he's learning is how to corral errant snaps.

6. westiedog1

If you start making changes now, you could be waiting beyond the melting ice caps to the next ice age. All I'm saying is that I see promise in Darnold, and as we both have been saying for the last few years, it's about the QB #1. Now, we have the QB, so let's see if he can surround him with good players, before we set Bowles and Maccagnan adrift.

7. westiedog1

Are you saying that drafting Darnold was a mistake?

8. ColoradoContrails

It IS about the QB, but if the coaching and surrounding talent sucks, then the QB will fail. We're watching this happen right before our very eyes.

NYJetsO12 and Acad23 like this.
  9. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Except you’re ignoring the sheer incompetence of Bowles in the things he can control. Nobody is expecting miracles from Bowles and then criticizing him because the water isn’t wine.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

Not at all.

The head coach is the one making mistakes.

He must be gone sooner than later.

11. westiedog1

Okay, but will firing Bowles make the talent better?

12. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

The Jets aren't a top notch destination, but with a young QB who has shown some promise (although lots of issues recently as well) and tons of cap space, there are certainly worse places to go.

Endlessly Counting likes this.
  13. LeonNYJ

Speaking of which, I have to wonder if McCown is happy that he isn't starting after watching Darnold running for his life on most plays.

Jets81 likes this.
  14. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

Don't disagree but to my original point - if you're Harbaugh, why is this a more attractive opportunity than where you're at. Michigan is one of the most prestigious programs in CFB and he is getting paid like an NFL HC. He is just on the verge of elevating Michigan back to prominence. Why do you leave now and why would you choose the NYJ's as your destination?

15. sackexchange

sackexchange Well-Known Member

As a Michigan State alum, I hope you're right. But Michigan is good this year and may finally knock off Ohio state.

16. ColoradoContrails

It's possible that the talent can perform better with a CS that knows what to do.

Again, did you read the article about the Rams OL and how they've been coached? I'm not saying you can make steak out of hamburger, but you might be able to make steak tartare by actually coaching them UP. That's what the good coaches do, in any sport. Bowles is NOT a good coach and has not elevated the talent he's been given. Have you heard one player in four years ever say something like "I owe everything to Coach Bowles. He believed in me and got me to achieve my true potential"?

Get the right HC in here and things will improve.

Endlessly Counting and JetBlue like this.
  17. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Michigan is very good, Michigan will beat OSU, and if they have to play Alabama they will get rolled by 50 probably. And as long as Nick Saban is at Alabama that will likely continue into the forseable future. I can’t imagine he’d want to hang around at the college level with that outlook when he can have a great season under his belt and know he turned the program around.

18. LeonNYJ

You probably don't unless you want to come back to the NFL or have a desire to be in the NY market.

19. westiedog1

Well. I can't defend Bowles, because I've criticized him too. Against Chicago, the Jets had something like 7 pre-snap penalties. I read that they spent the whole week working on it and against Miami had only two or something. So it's not like he's not aware of the issues and not doing something about it which is what a coach should do. All teams have penalties and make mistakes. The difference is, those teams can overcome those mistakes by scoring. The Jets can't. I just think it's too easy to blame Bowles for a lack of talent. Put some talent on this offense, and if he still can't win, then I say can his a$$.

20. LeonNYJ

See, I didn't really expect the Jets to win much season. Sure, they showed signs that they could be a decent team and then they end up falling flat on their faces. However, the problem has been that they just look abysmal in every loss. They never lose games where they look like a competent team. You really can't name a single one. They look like superstars when they win and look like the worst team in the league when they lose.

westiedog1 likes this.