#FireBowles

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JethroTull, Jan 22, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

While I agree with you, that McCarthy has underachieved given the QBs he's had, I think he's still better than what the Jets have had over that timeframe.

As for the discipline, McCarthy got rid of the idiot, something I'm certain Bowles (or Rex) would never do.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Woody if you are reading this ,please extend Bowles. Call it a humanitarian move. You’d improve the lives of many jet fans on this board

TonyFtLaud likes this.
  3. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He went 3 and 8 without an elite QB last year. He didn't discipline the idiot. He ignored the fact that he was pissed off and out of control after being pulled from the game earlier. He had to get rid of him when Rodgers went public. Rodgers runs the team not McCarthy. The Packers are 3 and 4 with Aaron Rodgers as their QB. Contrast what happened at the end of that game. LA's star running back, all on his own went team first. Maybe that says something about the HC. LA has a good young HC.

You don't think the Jets make the playoffs in year 1 of the Bowles ear with Aaron Rodgers at QB instead of Fitzpatrick? I'm not sold at all on Bowles but lets be real.

FJF likes this.
  4. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Imagine waking up everyday and thinking Todd Bowles can win a Super Bowl, apparently that's what our ownership somehow still believes. Every day Sam is in the same facility as Todd the clodd is a disservice to his growth.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. ColoradoContrails

Oh I agree, a great QB makes all the difference. And I'm not arguing that McCarthy is a great coach. But instead of putting Rodgers on Bowles' 2015 team, how about making McCarthy the HC of this team? You think it would be worse or better?

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Worse.

7. ColoradoContrails

Alrighty then. Agree to disagree.

8. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

It's really why he shouldn't have been kept. I don't want to compare him to Hue Jackson, but it is crazy they fired him mid season with their rookie franchise QB. Why keep him around and stunt the growth of your future at all.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

Not sure what point your trying to make.
    There was a question asked regarding the play where Montgomery took the kick out of the end zone and if the Packers we're poorly coached.
    As far as Discipline, he's traded and if he wasn't traded he'd have been cut.
    The Packers are a consistent contender.
    I'd be very happy if this team would have the Packers lack of discipline, poor coaching and lack of success.
    11 of his 13 years they made the playoffs, eight were consecutive playoff appearances, four NFC Championship Games and one Super Bowl title.
    Yeah he's off the hook .

#1709 TonyFtLaud, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
    Ralebird and ColoradoContrails like this.
  10. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Mike McCarthy has had 2 QB, Brett Favre and Aaron Rodgers. He mismanaged the transition which cost them a SB shot. They have had the best team in the NFC at least 3 times since McCarthy is the head coach. In 2011 one and done at home. In 2009 on the last game of the season they beat AZ 33 to 7. They lost in game 1 of the playoffs when AZ put up 51 on them. Against Atlanta 2 years ago they put up 44 on his team in the playoffs.

The year the Giants won the SB at home in freezing cold weather he had the lead at halftime. The ran the ball a total of 14 times. Lost by 3 and the Giants had 40 minutes of TOP. Favre threw 2 picks.

Bowles won 10 games with Fitzpatrick.

You want to kill Bowles I get it we might be able to do better. If we're going to do it bringing in an underachiever NFL lifer isn't the answer and that's in a nutshell has been the problem with the Jets for 50 plus years. The changes haven't been sufficiently good to make a huge difference with one exception. The move from Dick to Bill and even that turned into a cluster f. Defending mediocre Mike as a reason to fire Bowles is a fools argument.

I want a great Head Coach. If you're going to start over and you're happy with McCarthy, you're out of your mind. That's SOJ in a nutshell. It's like drafting Ken O'Brien over Dan Marino. We need the next Lombardi, Stram, Walsh, Parcells, BB not Mike McCarthy. You want to get rid of Bowles we have to get a brilliant young coach who isn't part of the good old boy NFL network and we have to give them time. If we don't you might as well stay with Bowles because if you think Mike McCarthy types are going to improve this team, I think you have it backwards.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  11. ColoradoContrails

While I still think McCarthy id better than Bowles, I am NOT arguing that he should be the next HC for the Jets. I agree completely with your POV about bringing in an NFL lifer retread, and want someone who is capable of bringing the championship back finally. That said, I don't want to hang onto Bowles unto we find that great coach...I'll settle for incremental improvement and hope we get lucky.

NYJetsO12 and Biggs like this.
  12. TonyFtLaud

TonyFtLaud Well-Known Member

You must be high.
    McCarthy is probably the best coach in the league behind Belichick.
    Farve was a great QB but you nailed it, you could always count on him to throw picks and cost you a game come Dec. If our next HC can get us to the playoffs 11 times in the next 13 years, 4 AFC title games and get us 4 Super Bowl appearances I'm willing to bet that the fan base , myself included would be estatic.
    But your right, let's try something new and hire a first time HC, because all we always do is hire the most successful candidates available. SOJ..... :rolleyes:

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Right behind him? He's not in the rear view mirror. If they are both on a cross country trip and left at the same time BB is in LA while mike is crossing the GW bridge.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

The big picture is the Packers KNOW how to build a team with all star players and a decent HC. Result?..Teams that went to playoffs and SBs

Sounds like a good formula to me ..especially with Fans having say in ownership

Yapping about McCarthy is moot

Its the Organization that gets it done..unlike the Toxic Wasteland here

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  15. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly but it takes talent.

George Seifert has one of the best coaching records in NFL history. When he was head coach of the Panthers he had a coaching record of 16 and 32. When he was Head Coach of the 49ers 98 and 30.

FJF likes this.
  16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Yes ..I said "build a team with all star players (talent) and.."

17. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

We have two teams right now built that way both with really good HC, KC and LA. Let's see if either one of them gets to let alone wins the SB.

18. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

What is your point?? That they aren't good coaches? That Bowles is good because we are bad? I've lost the point of the last few posts (not just yours).

19. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

I think at the end of the day Bowles needs to be evaluated on development of Darnold and development of himself as a coach, not in record. Facts are that the team is lacking in talent in many key areas. As a coach I can't see where he's been adding value. The team is undisciplined, takes many brain dead penalties, always comes out worse in the second half, makes terrible judgement calls in game. Where is the development there?

20. ColoradoContrails

So here's a good contrast to the way Bowles runs the team and the way which a good, value-added coach does it. This is from an article in today's NY Post about Fizdale, whom I predict, will turn the Knicks into winners finally:

Five observations from the Knicks’ 107-101 loss to the Pacers on Wednesday, when the 2-6 club was outscored 13-4 to close.

1. Knicks coach David Fizdale raised two interesting issues: lacking on-court communication on offense and focus in huddles late in games.

Fizdale accused some guys of not paying enough attention in the huddle, and it cost them when botching a handful of plays coming out of timeouts. That’s usually something you say about a high-school club.

“We were running into each other on stuff we’ve been running the whole preseason,” Fizdale said. “Late, it wasn’t clicking. No matter how much I try to get them to focus in the huddle, we weren’t locked in. That’s on me. I need to get us to focus better in those timeouts.”

OMG! A HC identifying the problem and taking responsibility for fixing it! And yes, I'm ready to hear all the Bowles defenders come out and say "He always takes responsibility! In his pressers he always says things like "We didn't execute. We need to do a better job". But there is a clear difference between Bowles mouthing platitudes, and Fizdale calling out his players and then owning the job of teaching them to do better. That's the part that seems to be lacking with Bowles - holding players accountable, but also holding himself accountable for not coaching them better. What has been ongoing during Bowles's tenure is a persistent repetition of mistakes and failure, and no evidence of players being coached up. With a young and rebuilding team, this is of paramount importance, and Bowles hasn't shown an ability to provide this. If Bowles remains HC of the Jets (heaven forbid!), I predict that the Knicks under Fizdale will win a championship before the the Jets do.

SOJAZ likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.