This team needs weapons <immediately> for Darnold

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Jetsruby, Oct 30, 2018.

1. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

We did that by signing Rishard who is a pretty solid wr. He’ll step up this week now that he’s been here for a bit.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

On the basis that they need bodies who can catch, and that they could get him cheap with no long term commitment, I would say, why not. He does know the "system" such as it is, and Bowles, and Bowles knows him - that may be a plus or a minus - so he could probably contribute right away.

3. ColoradoContrails

As big a failing, if not bigger, than not improving the OL in any big way, Macc has really missed on the skill positions, (not counting Darnold). From today's NY Post:

"There is a clear need for weapons to surround Darnold, but Maccagnan has failed at finding them in the draft. He has drafted four receivers — Stewart, Hansen, Charone Peake and Devin Smith. Only Peake remains on the team and he is primarily a special teams player.

The playmakers were there to be taken, but Maccagnan missed them. Chiefs superstar running back Kareem Hunt was drafted seven picks after Stewart in 2017. Buccaneers receiver Chris Godwin, who has four touchdowns this season, went five picks after Stewart. Lions receiver Kenny Golladay, who has three touchdowns, went later in the third round.

Hansen (nine career catches) and Stewart (six career catches) flopped and the Jets paid the price for that Sunday."

This is a really bad indictment of Macc's ability to judge offensive talent, and makes me doubt whether he's the right guy to address this glaring shortcoming. That said, I doubt the Johnsons are going to fire him, so we can only hope he's learned his lessons.

4. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

The Texans released wide receiver Bruce Ellington from injured reserve, Aaron Wilson of the Houston Chrniicle reports. This according to a league source not authorized to speak publicly.

Ellington has recovered from a hamstring injury and is cleared to work out for NFL teams.

Ellington had caught eight passes for 92 yards and a touchdown this season and 29 passes for 330 yards and two touchdown last season.

5. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Enunwa and McGuire at practice this week. Should help a ton if they both play.

GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Tom Brady has certainly had mostly average or below average WRs for much of his career and it has worked out just fine for him because he had a very good OL protecting him (and referees). I don't think that most of Brady's WRs were even as good as what the Jets have had this year and they managed to get open.

7. NCJetsfan

If the problem is Mac's ability to judge offensive talent, then there's nothing he can learn that will help him or the Jets. I believe that one either has the "eye" or talent for spotting talent or one doesn't. It's not a "skill" that can be learned.

8. NCJetsfan

I wouldn't hate it if we re-signed Brandon Marshall, but I'd rather just go with what we have. I want both Bowles and Mac gone. If Chris and/or Woody are on the fence about keeping or firing them, Marshall might do just enough to convince the Johnsons to keep both Bowles and Mac. I'd rather they sink or swim with whom they already have. If they do well, fine. If they do lousy, better, because it will increase the chances that both Bowles and Mac are fired, and will help draft position. I want us drafting high this one last time, then hopefully we won't be drafting high again for the next 20 years.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  9. ColoradoContrails

I don't agree completely with that. I think the more you observe, the more your "eye" sees. As Yogi Berra once said: "You can observe a lot by just watching". I do think some are better inclined to "observe", but if you're doing it for long enough you will acquire knowledge. For my part I've seen a lot of football over five decades and base my judgments on that accumulated experience, but I don't have access to all the other data a GM or scout has, nor do I devote a lot of my time in it, as some here do. I think that a good GM/Scout combines that data, plus their accumulated observations, and then adds in their "gut feel", which is maybe what you're calling an "eye". If so, then yes it is important and makes the difference between the good GMs and the ones who don't last very long.

10. NCJetsfan

That's fine. It could just be semantics. I assume that in anyone with a scouting background there is a basic knowledge of the techniques involved for each position, the attributes one wants for each position, the knowledge of the systems that their team runs and what "types" of players will best fit those systems, and the ability to assess whether collegiate players possess the requisite physical talent/athleticism, technique, ability to learn, work ethic, character, etc. to meet their needs. Maybe I'm wrong but I think any GM with a scouting background already possesses (or should) possess that knowledge. Thereafter it's a matter of perception, eye, instinct or "gut" that tells them who they should draft. That helps them separate the players who have already maxed out their talent from those who still have a lot of room to improve and the intelligence, work ethic and athleticism/physical talent to maximize that talent in the NFL. I think that you're probably right that scouts who have been at it for 20 years have "more knowledge," experience, a "better eye," or a more refined, instinctive "gut" than someone who has only been at it for 2-5 years.

#50 NCJetsfan, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  11. Brady plays for a different team & a scheme.I hope one day he is but right now Darnold is not Brady.The patriots OLs over the years have not been that great either.Theyve failed the pats in big spots & the talent has not been special.They have the best OL coach possibly ever & a QB who gets rid of the ball very quickly.

The few times the patriots have panicked midseason to make a trade bc the offensive well was dry has always been at the skills.

Also Brady is not mobile at all.He needs a clean pocket to do his damage.While darnold also needs a clean pocket he is extremely mobile & can make pass rushers miss..thats gotta play into the equation

I can get on board w a LT prospect being more of a long term fixture than a skill..but i have a really hard time believing OL & edge are bigger needs than WR.

12. rohirrim665

rohirrim665 Well-Known Member

Dez Bryant will cost you nothing , no draft picks, he can't possibly demand a huge salary, you can cut him at ANY TIME, why would you not try this? Don't tell me his personality is cancerous because nothing is more cancerous than drafting a rookie QB with no weapons to throw to.

6-10 once again likes this.
  13. NCJetsfan

Of course Darnold isn't Brady yet, but when Brady started he wasn't "Brady" yet, either. It does help that Darnold is much more mobile than Brady, but that may be canceled out by the fact that NE has had one of the best OL coaches in the history of the game.

#53 NCJetsfan, Oct 31, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2018
  14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

Because they have a coach that can actually scheme! Bowles doesn't have a clue about offense and Bates relies on beating the defense in one on one matchups instead of trying to scheme guys open with rub routes and such.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  15. By no means am i minimizing the importance of OL & im on record saying that i think everything is set up for us to go OL early.

However, i just dont necesarily take it to tunnel vision level as to supercede the hollistic need of “offense” all together.

Everything this season points to WR being just as big of a need if not bigger than OL & edge. I just feel like the team scouts OL & even edge better than they do WR at least after round 1.Its been a long time since Santana Moss or Dustin Keller for that matter. The team has tried to find wrs beyond round 1 & failed time & time again. Why fight it?

Thats not to say im touting “WR or bust” more that it’s “offense minus QB or bust” impact players needed.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. ColoradoContrails

What really scares me is that I think Macc just doesn't know how to draft skill players (or OL for that matter). The more I think about his draft record, the less I want him to be picking at the next draft.

17. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

This is a good take. I think Bryant has decided to sit out and not take a short term deal, i would think a team going no where with a rookie qb would pick him up just as a JAG WR.

Robby isn't going to stay healthy, someone landed on him and he's out probably multiple games... not hit, landed. Sadly Enunwa is trending the same way.... they need extra depth at WR until someone can prove they can stay healthy.

18. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

unpopular opinion here maybe but if the top 2 OTs are off the board when we pick, we could take a WR. i looked ahead a bit and seems like there are 3 WRs and 2 OTs worthy of where we should be picking which is in the 10-15 range i'm guessing.

19. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Or a pass rusher which this team really needs and it's a good draft for one

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  20. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I try to sign at least one FA pass rusher to make it less pressing of a need before the draft.