The philosophy of Defense first is abysmal

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Longsuffering88, Oct 28, 2018.

1. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

I loved Mahomes and thought Watson had great leadership ability but I had some doubts about his arm. The other side of that is last year a lot of draft experts didn't think either Mahomes or Watson were worth a first round grade. I think this year Sam and Rosen were pretty much first round locks and Mayfield and Allen jumped up peoples boards by the time the draft rolled around. Looking at both Mahomes and Watson you have to say WTF were NFL scouting departments thinking. WTF was Chicago thinking trading up from 3 to grab Trubisky? You have to give KC credit for what they did last year. A very ballsy move and it paid off when they got a return for Smith. Anyone who needed a QB last year and could have taken either one of those two look pretty stupid right now, included Mac.

I totally agree we should have drafted a QB last year and this years draft is a completely different animal. Not coincidentally I live in AZ and go to a ton of games. I was completely freaked out when Watson went off the board and KC jumped ahead of us to grab Mahomes. We ended up taking Hassan Reddick who's a nice athlete but he's an undersized Linebacker who can't shed a block. We ended up lucking into Rosen this year but we blew a draft because of it.

It's a completely wasted year for both teams and the waste of draft capital probably sets both teams back more than a year. Last year the Jets needed a QB just like this year. Passing on the most important position when it's sitting there is pretty much unforgivable. It's spilled milk. We have to hope they can repair the damage this offseason and Sam turns into a great QB.

I'm still pissed that we didn't have Marino throwing to Toon and Walker.

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Anthony "Hands of Stone" Becht was no Abdul "Soldier of Peace" Salaam. He did set a great edge in the running game.

3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

You neglected to point out what they both had in common: THEY GOT TO THE CHAMPIONSHIP!

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I've made this same point, and it bears repeating, especially in the discussion about Macc's job performance. And thanks for trying to clarify to Biggs what I mean when I say "favor the offense over the defense".

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  5. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Two anecdotes regarding scoring? Swell.

What do they have to do with the fact that numbers for scoring in the NFL have increased by thirty percent in ten years?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

What does that have to do with favoring O over D? If the trend was lower scoring does that mean D is more important than O? It could mean the exact opposite.

Let's ignore that Seattle went to two recent SB with D and the last two SB turned on Defense not to mention Denver lost with a great O and won with a great D.

Trends in scoring because of rule changes may just mean defenses have to catch up to O's.

There are 2 sides to every coin. You made a point to prove a point. It could just as easily mean you have it backwards.

7. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

We simply cannot build an offensive minded team with this coach.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  8. Ralebird

Seriously?

NFL101 - The offense scores most of the points. To increase point scoring to a level that will win more games indicates it is the offense that needs to increase performance most. But you knew that, right?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  9. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

"When I sit I do not stand" Kwai Chang Caine

10. Ralebird

You're on your own.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  11. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

What makes it really suck is the defensive players they draft suck. So you try and skimp on the offense and load up on defense. So using that logic we should have a great defense and the offense should be at least functional. We have neither. Welcome to the 70's NFL.

12. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

The fact that this is a subject 6 months after Mac moved heaven and earth to secure a franchise qb is what’s wrong with the board. This is the equivalent of finding a dead horse,beating on it,burying it and then digging it up again just to beat on it.
    Yes we need to improve the offense, mac drafted the most important piece in the last draft. Can we see what happens next before we start bitching ?

13. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

The bitching comes from the fact that the team has gone defense in round 1 every year between the Sanchez and Darnold picks while the offense didn't get as much love in an era where offense is needed to win games. The blame doesn't lie solely on Macc, but he deserves some of it.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

Not going to get into a long debate but the Jets offense couldn't score points right now if they had Bill Walsh running the show. No WR's, the RB's are banged up (again), rookie QB, the OC was out and the OL in general is playing down to their talent level at this point in the season.

All the reactionary posts about the last two games are really just about facts being facts and the facts are that the Jets have two-bit talent on offense. That's on the GM not the HC. Period.

15. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Right, and we bitched about it last year. Well, I didn’t,I laughed. The angst from the board is the only fun thing about this team lately. But we been bitching about it for a while. Why is it coming up now considering what we just drafted? That’s what I mean about beating the carcass of a beaten horse.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  16. Walt White

Walt White Well-Known Member

As are you grasshopper.

Biggs likes this.
  17. Walt White

+1000

So much comedy if some of it wasn't so downright hate filled. Fingers crossed we get the next two. They'll come out of the woodwork at the first chance tho. "Woe is me, I knew the better way to do it" "They suck but I don't". :rolleyes: Bwahahah.

18. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I think a better way to look at it is that the two highest point totals in NFL history both made the Super Bowl.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  19. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

DefenseWinsChampionships.

20. Walt White

Get DefenseWinsChampionships in here. He'll straighten this shit out