The Official NFL Trade Deadline Thread

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by BroadwayAaron, Oct 29, 2018.

1. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Tuesday at 4 PM, trading season comes to a close. We know Macc loves to trade... will he do it again?

Post all rumors and reports in this thread so we have a one stop shop for trade deadline news. The newest report from NFL Network is that teams are calling about Golden Tate. Seems like a perfect target that we could give a new deal to immediately, but the asking price may be too high.

2. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

here's an idea: sell off every vet that is not in the teams plans for next year/ free agent to be, even if you end up with a load of 6th and 7th round picks.

split game time between sam and webb so we can at least get some eval on webb.

start more younger guys so we can get the highest spot in the draft as possible.

if some team wanting a qb in the draft calls, trade down for a boatload of extra picks, mostly want 2nd and 3rd round.

get the scouting staff completely rebuilt and start with drafting talent on the offensive line with an occasional wideout or pass rusher.

3. BroadwayAaron

It looks like the asking price for Golden Tate is a fourth rounder. Considering we have our own first and 2 third rounders, do you trade a fourth rounder for a proven NFL commodity? I know there are two schools of thought here, but I do it in a heartbeat and don’t look back.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  4. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I’m kind of undecided as far as Mac goes going forward. If he trades future any assets for help this year I wouldn’t be undecided anymore and would want him gone with Bowles ASAP.

Stay the course, trade anyone that any team is willing to give something for and go all in during offseason.

5. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

That partially depends on Quincy and Robby's health for me. If Robby and Quincy are returning this week or the following, I'd just roll with them. If each are going to miss a few more weeks, then maybe. Tate would be a good add, but he'll also be 31 next season. How much longer will he play at a high level for?

HomeoftheJets, Big Cat and stinkyB like this.
  6. BroadwayAaron

So out of curiosity, if he traded a fourth round pick for Golden Tate who he then gave a fair contract to for the next three years, does that qualify as helping this year, or helping future?

7. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

Three years of quality play from him at about the level he's playing now would be worth it hypothetically.

8. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

It qualifies as hurting the future and beyond dumb. Sign the guy in FA if you want him so bad, giving up a pick when we need all the picks we can get is what a desperate GM would do.

9. BroadwayAaron

Couldn't disagree any more. If you let him go into free agency then you don't secure your guy. If you're trading a 4th for a proven NFL commodity then 1. That's savvy and 2. You've probably already discussed the next contract with him since teams usually allow that before a trade.

A desperate GM gives up draft capital for one year fixes. A smart GM gives up draft capital for someone that you know will help.

10. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

I'm not so sure. Normally I'm dead against in season trades like this, but a top receiver helps everyone out straight away. There's no guarantee he, or anyone comparable, makes FA and we have the cap space to do it without losing any premium pick. Even if he was good for this year and next I'm tempted. If we get longer out of him then that's great.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Pull the trigger on Tate please.

12. BroadwayAaron

What sucks is I'd put decent money on him being a Patriot by 4 PM.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  13. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

I’d get DT. Solves a hole now and moving forward and we have the space to support it.

14. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

He does fit their mold :eek:

15. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Right now they have 3 injured guys and a bunch of dudes who cant get open.... a proven route runner would be good for Darnolds development

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  16. BroadwayAaron

Depends on how much he's looking for. He's not a top flight receiver anymore and something tells me that's what he'll command.

17. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Agree. How many 4th round picks have become starters. let alone good players for Macc? Plus, they're desperate for receivers so pretty much any WR that can fog a mirror would be a plus.

18. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I like some of your ideas, at least partially, but not all.

On one hand, I'd like to see us "tank" by starting more young, inexperienced guys which should lead to a worse record. OTOH, that would probably mean that Bowles will be staying, and that would be a disaster. He has to go, so I want him to keep trying to win. The odds are that the Jets will lose most of their remaining games anyway, and perhaps if fans do billboards, planes with banners and the NY media trashes Bowles loudly enough, the Johnsons might make a move. I think if every season ticket hold and/or PSL owner wrote/called the Jets and told them that they would seriously consider giving up their tickets/seats if the Johnsons don't fire Bowles, that might force their hand.

I don't know if the problem is the scouting staff, Mac, the peer relationship between Mac/Bowles or a combination of all 3. The Scouting Dept. could perhaps be upgraded, but one can't hire someone who isn't available, and are there any potential scouts or former scouts out there who are available who would be an upgrade and willing to work for the Jets? There's no doubt that the OL has to be seriously upgraded, an edge rusher acquired, and then the WR corps upgraded as soon as possible, but the latter is probably going to have to wait until the OL has been fixed and an edge rusher acquired.

Selling off every vet that is not in the team's plans for next year sounds good, but is it practical? If the team has no depth on the OL and if they get rid of one/some of their OL starters (Carpenter) will Darnold get killed or will it stunt/hinder his development? Are any of the Jets veterans who aren't in their plans for the future good enough for any other team to want, especially those who will be FAs next offseason?

Now is not the time imo to split time between Sam and Webb. They should be able to see if Webb is picking up the offense, how he looks running the scout team, how accurate he is, how poised he is, etc. If Sam gets beat up or injured, then yeah, they should start Webb rather than McCown or if the Jets are getting blown out or by some miracle are blowing out some other team at half time or at some point in the 3rd quarter, they could give Webb some action, but otherwise, they have next offseason to see how he does. They'll probably sign a vet for depth/insurance anyway, and they don't really have a draft pick to use on a backup QB in next year's draft.

20. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

NO, not for a 30-something WR. The Jets aren't going to be contenders next season. As much as possible, they need to get players that will be here for 5-10 years, not a year or two. Signing some older FAs to fill holes is one thing, but trading draft picks to acquire them is something else (dumb).