Sam Darnold (Main Darnold thread)

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jerseyjay14, Sep 30, 2018.

1. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

There have been 7 games. He has had 3 good games, 1 eh decent game, and 3 awful games. Those are the stats that matter for rookie. He shows flashes of brilliance but has trouble against the best Ds at this point, which is not surprising. Not to mention his supporting cast is absolute hot garbage.

Be patient with him.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

It seems to me that there are four kinds of quarterbacks. There are the incredibly rare ones where from day 1 they are extremely successful, and who sustain that for years. Dan Marino is the archetype, and Pat Mahomes is off to a hell of a start. There are the many QBs who are obviously not ever going to have any success - the Ryan Leafs and Nate Petermans (Petermen?) of the world. Sam Darnold is neither of those.

Then there are the quarterbacks who definitely show promise as a rookie and end up being extremely successful, but have varying levels of success to start. That could be really poor at the beginning (Troy Aikman and Peyton Manning), or pretty good (Ben Roethlisberger), but it wasn't a slam dunk from the beginning that they would be elite. And of course there are the quarterbacks who show promise as a rookie, at various levels, and end up playing a few years but never really make it (Sanchez, RGIII, etc.). We don't have the slightest idea which of these types (or somewhere in between) Sam Darnold is, and we probably won't for at least another 1 1/2 seasons.

But please, carry on.

Linebacker712, FJF, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  3. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

If I had more common sense than passion for the Jets I would remain silent and not respond to this thread. But I don't, and I won't. Anyone who thinks there are eerie similarities between the two QBs is insanely out of his or her mind. Poise, reading defenses, understanding of the game, little BS color coded bracelet. Facing tougher competition, incompetent supporting cast, on an on. The one common denominator between the two is there are both cursed with a mediocre CS and improper balance and acquisition of critical resources.
    Want to see great leadership at work. watch KC Chiefs in action and stop wasting time comparing apples and bananas. Sanchez was never, ever in Darnolds league.​

4. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I think the conditions were a lot worse than it looked on TV.

Sam was off his game and Cousins didn't look that great either.

Big thing I saw was that the purple guys caught the ball a lot better than the guys in shitty green.

I do like the wool caps they were sporting on the sideline.

5. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Jersey Jay you need to check out Pat Mahomes J Goff M
    Trubitsky..ALL in their 2nd year and tearing up the League with big stats and Ws...EXPERIENCE is a great teacher and gut says SD will learn to correct mistakes

Plus 2 out of 3 of the above have NEW COACHES

To make you happy why don't we go back to Josh McGown or Hackenberg .....AHAHAHA

6. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

The weather yesterday was anything but good/decent. There were 15+ MPH winds the entire game. I was sitting in the stands and it was blasting me in the face for 4 hours.

Someone explain to me why every throw was outside the numbers? We didn't work the middle of the field at all.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  7. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

But he proved he is a bit of a cunt for laughing at our potential FQB just starting out, why would any Jets fan do that ?

8. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

A lot of drops yesterday, but Darnold I thought was a little too aggressive, wasn't patient enough to take what the defense gave him. Made some bad reads.

Brook!, All Gas No Shake and Big Cat like this.
  9. Big Cat

Big Cat Well-Known Member

This. Seemed like he was constantly trying to get it all back at once even when we were only down 10-7. He was way too aggressive yesterday, might’ve been a little overconfident from the last 2 games, or frustrated that he missed the open bomb to Robby.

10. 101GangGreen101

Our QB is very young, and went through a very tough start to the year. Darnold will rebound.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

I think the weather affected Sam more than he's letting on. if yesterday was tough, what is the outlook for Sam in the snow, or rain, or any inclement weather? I know we have driftwood presently at Wr, but those were the cards Sam was dealt and its up to Bates to put Sam in better positions for success.

The remainder of the season will tell us a lot about our SoCal Qb.

Ralebird, BrowningNagle and NYJetsO12 like this.
  12. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Honestly there wasn’t a lot happening in the middle of the field. Being there in person, he missed Crowell on what would have been a first down on a third down and missed Kearse for what would have been a touchdown on a play. Easy for us to say sitting in the stands, I know. I mentioned this in the game thread... why the hell do you design everything to the sidelines with a rookie QB playing in a game with steady wind with frequent gusts?

13. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yeah but hes a smart kid he will get used to it. This is why you play him to get this experience, otherwise he wont know what it feels like until next year. I would rather he learn it now and not when the team invests $50 million on their offense next year.

14. I have a really hard time getting on Sam for yesterday beyond the obvious that hes had better days

One look at the group of WRs heading into the game made it obvious that offense was going to struggle.And thats before the myriad of dropped passes & errant snaps.

Timing was clearly off & all the classic signs were there:Rookie QB,patchwork fly by night WR corps,exchange issues & high winds. None of what happened should be a surprise.

#154 KurtTheJetsFan, Oct 22, 2018
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 22, 2018
    LAJet and ColoradoContrails like this.
  15. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

It's definitely a bit of a concern. He did not look comfortable in the cold wind. I'm gonna try and be positive and think it was just because he was frustrated at the snapping and the line and the dropped passes and not that he can't play in bad weather.... for now

16. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sanchez in his rookie year was historically bad on possibly the best Jets team ever. Sam is playing better in every statistically category on a team with a pretty decent D and well below average NFL talent on O. Sam is far from a sure thing but he has already shown more than Sanchez under a lot more duress.

17. 101GangGreen101

He had his pro day in the pouring rain, but CS has to do a better job. Where was Kearse yesterday?

Powell leaving yesterday really hurt.

18. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

Heard a stat this morning that last week that out of Darnolds 24 pass attempts 17 of them were to WRs who had 3 more Yards of separation and was 14/17 on those throws. This week those throws just weren't there. He's a 21 year old rookie. Everyone needs to relax after a loss.

stinkyB and FJF like this.
  19. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

On the plus side he probably has the Miami game circled on his calendar.

dmarz45 and Cman68 like this.
  20. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

Pouring rain in the summer is usually warm water. Cold water is an entirely different animal along with wind chill, ice, snow, etc. Sam is gonna have to show he can handle all the weather he's likely to face as only one team in the AFCE is a warm weather team and every team is an outdoor team.