Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Ha.... sounds like I missed a gem of a game.

2. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

Well, they just fired their OC hahahaha!

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/25024875/arizona-cardinals-fire-offensive-coordinator-mike-mccoy

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

darnold is looking so much better then the other 3 now it's not even funny, which surprised me as i felt rosen was the most ready of the bunch to play now but sam is clearly a quicker study and fixed all his issues in camp. remeber eveyrone complaining about his fumble problem? he hasn't lost a fumble all year meanwhile all the other QBs have lost multiple.

4. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Rosen's problem is he isn't mobile, so when he gets pressured he's screwed. A veteran like Brady can process the field well enough to dictate from the pocket, but it takes a long time to get there. Whereas Darnold can avoid the rush with his legs. If you told Darnold he wasn't allowed to leave the pocket, he would struggle too.

5. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Rosen looks slow as fuck. Everything about him was slow last night. from the time he took dropping back, to his release, to the velocity on the ball. It looked like someone dropped a high schooler onto a field full of professionals.

6. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Darnold has a better arm and quicker release so I think he'd still fare better than Rosen.

7. GasedAndConfused

yeah he's a lot less mobile then sam is but he needs to work the pocket. brady is far form mobile but knows how to slide in the pocket and keep his eyes downfield. we see sam doing it more too instead of bailing early.

8. HomeoftheJets

As special as Brady is, it took years for him to get that down. And he didn't play at all in his rookie year. If Rosen succeeds in the NFL as a pocket passer, it won't happen overnight.

9. GasedAndConfused

he kind of lit it up as soon as we knocked out bledsoe. he did get even better over time but he never looked like a rookie. he took over in his 2nd season when he didn't play year 1 becuase we knocked out bledsoe and won the SB. he also won the SB in years 4 and 5

so basically

year 1 sat as a rookie
    year 2 played due to injury and won the SB
    year 3 mised playoffs but his stats were still great
    year 4 won SB
    year 5 won SB

he never looked like rosen did last night

10. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Re: Rosen looking bad - keep in mind that as important as the QB position is, it's highly affected by the players around him and the coaching. I wouldn't judge Rosen too harshly yet.

Brook! and HomeoftheJets like this.
  11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd bet 100 internet dollars that Brady was put in a position to succeed as a 2nd year QB by Belichick and his staff. Can't say the same for Rosen, as bad as he looked last night. That said, I am thrilled that we got Darnold and that we have put him in a position to succeed(shocking I know).

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  12. HomeoftheJets

1. Brady's career passer rating is 97.6. He didn't have a single-season passer rating that high until his 8th year in the NFL, and he isn't the reason the Pats won their first 3 SBs.
    2. Brady played for a great coach with great teammates, unlike the dumpster fire Rosen is playing for.
    3. Rosen doesn't have to be Brady to be a good NFL QB.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  13. In the pocket id say Rosen has a quicker release & arm strength in terms of velocity & especially down the seams. But its close..

However Darnold has superior accuracy to all fields,superior pocket presence,decision making & has a whole other dimension to his game from a mobility/outside the pocket aspect that is simply non existant when looking at Rosen

I was a big Rosen guy heading into last draft season.I loved his throws down the seams,feet & quick release. Still i thought it was a matter of preference between he & Sam. As the draft drew closer however his character really concerned me.Not once in any interview did he come across as a leader of men or even make reference to his teammates. It may seem petty but it was things like that which scared teams off of Jay Cutler during his draft year & as it turned out rightfullly so.

We’re gonna find out real soon what type of leader Rosen is..didnt love his body language or answers after the game.I like his game & the cards are my second team but it seems ugly right now.

Noam and Brook! like this.
  14. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I was a Mayfield guy myself. And I wanted Rosen ahead of Darnold. When Mayfield got picked by Browns I was mad. When Jets went with Darnold I was disappointed. Not to say I am being a homer but these first 6 weeks seems in Darnold’s favor. I might have been severely wrong after all.

K'OB and JohnnyJet1222 like this.
  15. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

Stick to soccer.

Guess I’ll wait this game out too.

16. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Can’t. I converted to football.

17. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

....except in the 2010 conference playoff game against Rex Ryan and Bart Scott!

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I agree.....Brady seems to win shoot-outs against other good offense (primarily due to Belichick's defense playing behind Brady), but when Brady plays a team known for their Defense he lost all 3 SBs (Giants, Giants, Philly) and he lost to Rex Ryan's 'band of lunatics' Defense in the 2010. Even the year Brady had a record setting GREAT offense with Moss going 18-0, they lost to the Giants and their 'in your face' defense.

So while it's really great we FINALLY have a quality QB, we still have to field a good defense or it won't matter.

#118 Footballgod214, Oct 19, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2018
  19. rickjet

rickjet Well-Known Member

I like the chart and early comparisons are good conversation, but honestly, not really concerned if the other QBs turn
    out to be good (hopefully Allen fails....division rival). We chose Sam, we need him to be our QB for the next decade!!
    So far I like what I see and believe he has talent, work-ethic and temperament to be a Top Tier NFL QB..:cool:

20. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Slide you say?

Brady, I hate that smug smarmy jerk. And Cheats fans: You hate us cuz you ain't us. OK. No, I hatecha because you cheat on the regular. I admit this post was unrelated to your point but I never waste an opportunity to shit on the Cheats if even tangentially.

donkey and GasedAndConfused like this.