Mike Maccagnan trades so far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, Oct 17, 2018.

1. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

Gotta read more than the headlines

LF911SC likes this.
  2. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

For someone who claims to be such a fan it amazes me how you have no clue about the team yet continue to moan about things youre completely wrong about.

You should start with "my bad, I got it wrong" instead of firing back blindly. Them again when you're wrong you just run away. Happens a lot.

The Seahawks acquired defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson from the New York Jets in exchange for receiver Jermaine Kearse and a 2018 second-round pick, both teams announced.

#22 LF911SC, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    GasedAndConfused and FJF like this.
  3. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

I am on board with Macc for now.

He's made solid trades and did a great job filling out the roster with good 2nd/3rd tier players.

Now he needs to find his stars at edge, OL and WR. This will separate him from being an average gm.

4. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Darn thing printed this way...go check out the article and guess who we got..?

5. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Yeah, he's actually not done bad in rounds 5-7 as well as UDFA which is why I specifically singled out rounds 2-4. We've hit on a couple but the rest barely contributed before getting cut.

LF911SC likes this.
  6. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

You are wrong about the trade. Stop already

stinkyB, MoWilkBeast and FJF like this.
  7. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

Everything on the left was who we got in the trade. Everything after the "for" in each sentence was what we gave up.

8. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

LOL. I guess TGG doesn't have a big enough font for him...

9. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

Comprehensive Review of Mac's Tenure

Let's get the glaring bad spots out of the way. The Revis re-signing was a Woody move plain and simple. Mac was the front man, and afterwards the whipping boy for the media and fans but we all know who was behind the signing. As far as Big Mo goes this seemed like a pretty obvious move to all involved, it wasn't. We were able to opt out and now we're looking at having the highest cap space going into 2019 for the 2nd season in a row.

- 2015 the draft was abysmal with the exception of Leo, which is a really big exception. As stated we have no idea what the situation was with Mac coming into the picture so late (January of that year).
    In 2016 we did acquire James Carpenter on a very cap friendly 4 year 19mil deal, where he went on to have 2 amazing years, 1 bad, and so far 3 bad games and 3 good games. Steve McLendon has tested to be one of the best 3-4 DTs since joining the Jets and PFF corroborates this with their ratting of him, he also is on a 3 year 10.5mil deal.....

- 2016 draft he made the infamous 2nd round Hackenberg pick which completely overshadows and otherwise good draft. Don't forget about Robby who he also acquired as a UDFA.
    • Darron Lee has emerged into Ryan Shazier lite
    • Jordan Jenkins is a weekly contributor, and like Lee has progressed each year.
    • Justin Burris is no success story but just mere depth
    • Brandon Shell is a fine average RT that can start in the NFL and not get a QB killed, great value in the 5th round
    • Lachlan Edwards has turned into one of the better punters in the league, another success
    • Charone Peake has had a bright spot here or there in the passing game but has really made his bones on special teams as a 7th round pick that adds depth
    - 2017 Brian Winters got a well deserved contract extension and is playing the best football of his life right now. Sheldon Richardson for a 2nd and Kearse was an outright fleecing for a 1 year rental. Morris Claiborne was signed in FA who has played excellent. Uncle Josh was brought in and had the best season of his long and traveled career. We signed Kelvin Beachum who played mediocre last year and to start this year in spurts but has turned it around also went up against Myles Garrett and Von Miller and not allowed them to register a sack, so say what you will but he is playing very good football.
    • Jamal Adams is an All-Pro... that's it.
    • Marcus Maye might be as good but just slightly less physical than Adams but better in coverage, that's scary.
    • ArDarius Stewart I wish I knew more about this situation because I felt like it was a mismanagement from the coaching perspective.
    • Hansen tested well as a prospect but it never translated to the pros. He has since had multiple tryouts after being cut and they all thought the same.
    • Jordan Leggett while he seems to not be filling the role that he was originally drafted to perform as the pass catching TE, I fully expect him to remain and take over as the blocking TE who can also catch. Has looked good in this role thus far when utilized.
    • Dylan Donahue, the lights just shined too bright in NY for this young man. Unpredictable
    • Eli McGuire has shown tremendous talent and I fully expect him to be the lead back in 2019 and potentially demand a larger role this year.
    • Jeremy Clark, 6th round pick with injuries didn't work out
    • Derrick Jones seems to be making huge strides and looks primed for a larger role, 7th round pick...
    - 2018 Teddy Bridewater was brought in and turned into a 3rd round pick. Henry Anderson who has been amongst the best contributors on the entire team was acquired via trade for a 7th. Andre Roberts leads all teams in punt return metrics/stats and is 10th in KR. Terrelle Pryor hasn't been the flashy streaker he was in Cle but has provided a great rezone target while battling a return from surgery. Spencer Long has been up and down with more down considering his shotgun snap woes of late but I will still take him over Johnson. Isaiah Crowell while I don't think he is good he is still 7th in rushing with 5 TDs and broke the Jets record for rushing yards in a game at 219. Trumaine Johnson has not played well or looked right all season we can hope this is injury related but the signing seemed like a perfect fit we shall see. Avery Williamson has been the most impressive player on the entire roster and at 22.5mil for 3 years looks like an absolute steal.
    • Mac trades up in the 2018 draft 3 spots (using the 2nd round pick from the Sheldon tade) to acquire Sam Darnold who has looked every bit the part and just beat Andrew Luck in a 4th quarter shootout. The rest of this draft looks very promising but I think it's entirely too soon to pass any judgement as of yet so I'll just leave it at that.

SUMMARY:
    Mac has had 1 bad draft and 2 bad signings in four years. He has also delivered the best safety tandem in the NFL, potentially one of the best MLB tandems, one of the best 3-4 DT's, one of the best 3-4 DE, a UDFA WR that has the most 40 yard+ receptions among all players, and a franchise quarterback. Oh, and for the 2nd straight year we will have the highest cap space in the NFL with one of the youngest and cheapest rosters.

#29 DarrelleRevis.Human?, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
    NCJetsfan, Kris 15, Cidusii and 5 others like this.
  10. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Nice work..

But I think Cidusii had a much more realistic and objective view on the players acquired by MM

You ca check out his post in the thread "Mike Mac...just as bad"

To sum up what Cidussi compliled :
    :
    Macc's Hits - OK or better: 8
    Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold, Marcus Maye, Jordan Jenkins, Brandon Shell, Lachlan Edwards (I list Edwards here since we've seen the disaster of having a shitty punter in the past)

Macc's Hits - Role Player or better: 14
    Players listed above plus Nathan Shepherd, Juston Burris, Christopher Herndon Jordan Leggett, Elijah McGuire, Parry Nickerson, Trenton Cannon

If I had to say any of these players were Solid or better in my on judgement at this stage, I'd pick Leonard Williams, Darron Lee, Jamal Adams, Sam Darnold, and Marcus Maye.

Based on this, I'd hazard to guess Maccagnan is batting about average in the draft currently. If Sam Darnold and one of Leonard Williams/Darron Lee/Jamal Adams/Marcus Maye becomes elite with the others being Solid, I'd say he's batting above average.

I could probably refine it to be more nuanced based on exact draft position, but the sample size reduces 32-fold for each pick, and just a quick look at the 1st round pick-by-pick, the hit rates didn't seem top-biased at all.

I've also had a quick look at hit rates by position in the 3rd round as well due to the speculation of trading for various players with those picks, but I'll address those in the appropriate threads.

11. DarrelleRevis.Human?

DarrelleRevis.Human? Well-Known Member

I'm neither pro or anti Mac, I'm pro- Jets success.

And while Mac has had his share of missteps, he has also been the driving force that has set this team up with a nucleus of young talented players, a future at QB, and the most cap in the NFL to hopefully fill in the blanks.

If you see my player evaluations as unrealistic you're certainly entitled to your opinion, though objectivity only allows for so much leeway until facts and statistical data make it an irrefutable truth.

LF911SC, GasedAndConfused and Cidusii like this.
  12. Cidusii

The data I compiled only really focused on Mac's drafting record, which seems to be about average, which isn't necessarily a bad thing.

His other moves though, through trading and smart contracts, have been where I think he has shined overall. The fact that 4 years in, we still have a ridiculous amount of cap space every year without having to cut players with a lot of dead money (The roughest part of Tannenbaum's contracts), is a testament to Mac's contract writing skills.

#32 Cidusii, Oct 18, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2018
  13. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It’s easy to build cap space when there are no homegrown players that deserve big money

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

i'd easily put him above average. he hasn't a missed a 1st rounder and that is huge. for instance in the draft we took lee he was taken 20th overall. 8-10 of the 12 people taken behind him in the 1st round are busts. another 3-4 players taken before him were busts as well. every year the 1st round produces at least like 10 busts in total or about 1/3rd of the picks. for mac to have 0 busts in 4 drafts in the 1st round is pretty dam good. he's also been way above average finding late round and UDFA players. it's the mid rounds he's been not too good but same goes for most GMs. i've done the direct compare and he still beats out most even with his 2nd round whiffs. he's an above average drafter and has done excellent in trades and FA as well. he's the best GM the jets have had in a long time and one of the top rising ones in the NFL right now

15. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Mac has been doing about average, but from here on is where he makes his mark. This past off-season was critical for him, but this off-season is what may define Mac ultimately. Jets are looking like a 7 to 9 win team right now. Have to take a step forward and that means upgrading this roster from top to bottom so the Jets can open that window.

FJF likes this.
  16. GasedAndConfused

true but to be fair, that's more on the GMs before him that were terrible. by the time he took over the players he would need to lock up were drafted in 2009-2011 and even today it would be players drafted 2009-2014 all pryor to him and we all know how bad that final draft was before he was GM. the 1st time he needs to retain talent will be 2 years from now with williams who was his 1st pick as a jets GM. mostly the big talent comes from the 1st and 2nd rounds. this was the people chosen in those rounds a few years before mac

pryor (traded to cleveland, cut by them, picked up by jags and placed on IR last i heard)
    amaro (out of NFL)
    milliner (out of NFL)
    richardson ( traded to seattle, on a 1 year prove it deal with minn now)
    geno (out of NFL)
    coples (out of NFL)
    hill (out of NFL)
    wilkerson (was a beast until he got paid, then sucked and now on IR and often hurt)
    wilson (out of NFL)
    ducasse (out of NFL)
    sanchez (out of NFL)
    gholston (out of NFL)
    keller (out of NFL)

those are all out 1st and 2nd round picks from 2008 to 2014. 7 years of picks with 95% busts. that is why we sucked when mac took over and sucked for so long.

in 4 years in those same rounds mac has

darnold (potential FQB)
    adams (stud S)
    maye (stud S)
    lee (stud ILB)
    hackenburg (out of NFL)
    williams (stud DE)
    smith (out of NFL)

he's landed more players in hafd the drafts that are good then past GMs how people can shit on him still is beyond me. people must have forgtten what a truly bad GM looks like. not to mention he got good value for pryor and richardson via trades and used a 7th to trade for anderson and has picked some good players in later rounds and UDFA like shell, robbie, jenkins, etc

17. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

I didn’t say it was his fault, just saying it easy not to spend when there is nothing to spend on. Doesn’t matter at all though. He is on a pass/fail grade based on what sam does in the next few years

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  18. GasedAndConfused

oh i know, i was just pointing out just how shitty of a roster mac took over. if it wasn't for all the GMs being so bad before him then yes i agree we would have less cap room but we'd also have a better roster

19. Cidusii

True, the Idzik effect haha. Just had a quick look at how he looks given the picks he had, and he's definitely well below average.

He did spend some big money on Wilkerson (who seemed to deserve big money at the time) and Revis, but luckily had the outs to not hurt our cap with those players.

It'll be interesting to see how well the cap holds up once Mac's drafted players due their second round of contracts, i.e. Leo after a 5th year option and what's left of the 2016 draft class.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  20. Bowles Movement

Bowles Movement Active Member

He has only been here 4 years. Most draft picks sign 4 year contracts so they arent up for renewal yet. The home grown players he has drafted will start to get paid in the next few years. Leo will start to get paid this off season.