Should the Jets trade for Amari Cooper?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Should the Jets Trade For Amari Cooper?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

I like Amari but my biggest knock is giving up a likely high first-round draft pick for a receiver who catches with his body 70% of the time.

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I wouldn't give up our 1st round pick for anyone, unless it's someone like Mack, and even then I would think hard about it. But the reality is that the Jets record of drafting really lowers the value of their draft picks. That's why using their 2nd and lower picks for the right player is probably worth it because they'd be getting a proven commodity instead of an unknown with a high bust %.

3. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Gruden wants a first for mister cooper and more than likely someone in the league will give it to him. Since cooper has been productive and is still 24

4. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Well as the saying goes, "Poop in one hand and wish in the other, and see which one fills up faster". He's not gonna get a 1st for Cooper, but if he does, I hope it's not from the Jets. I think Cooper would be a good addition, especially with Enunwa hurt, but coming in the middle of the season he isn't going to have the impact he might if he was able to practice/play with them from T.C. on.

JdotGriff likes this.
  5. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Do you think anyone is giving them a 1st? I don't think they can get that high a pick. Not off what he's done and what he's owed $$ wise. Oakland does anyshe s to be interested in giving him his 18 or so Mil next season so....

FJF likes this.
  6. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Mike Lombardi said on the Ringer podcast Tuesday that the Raiders have doubts about his love for football and commitment to the game. Not exactly the type of guy you want to invest heavily in.

7. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

1. If that's coming from Gruden, take it with a grain of salt.
    2. That's a really dumb thing to say about a player if you're shopping him around.

ColoradoContrails and stinkyB like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

It’s coming from someone Lombardi knows in The organization, not sure who. It’s not something Gruden said in public at all.

It would be something stupid to say, but it’s not as if it was a statement by a coach or PR person, just a source inside the building.

9. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

No need to trade for Cooper, he will probably be let go as he would count 13M against the cap. I would sign that beast, I think Gruden sucked the life out of that roster

10. wampa

wampa Well-Known Member

I think he's a good player but given his cap status, the size of pick they seem to want, and our needs/time schedule, he's likely to be looking for WR1 level money at the end of his 5th-year-option, and hasn't played as well over the past few years. I might do it for a third, but the Raiders will probably get a (comp) 3rd just by letting his contract lapse, so I don't see that happening.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Randy Moss was worth a lot more to the Pats than a fourth, that trade was a steal.

stinkyB likes this.
  12. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

He's good when he's good. And he's back breaking when he's not. I do not like inconsistent players, they do more harm than good.

13. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

So you wouldn't take him on a 1 year prove it deal? I sure as hell would. No one is going to sign Cooper to a long term deal, Cooper on his end won't take a lowball long term deal.