HYPOTHESIS: The Bills would have traded a 2nd for Bridgewater

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Unhappyjetsfan, Oct 17, 2018.

1. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

Hypothesis: If we had held on to Teddy Bridgewater, today the Bills would have traded us their 2nd round pick for him. They would have chosen this option over signing (and starting) Derek Anderson. The Jets would have received a pick somewhere between #37-40 instead of the Saints 3rd rounder (which is likely between #95-100).

Discuss.

egelband and twown like this.
  2. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

No they would not have and Mac wouldn’t have wanted to trade him to a division rival either. We just saw Oakland go out of their way to send a player out of the conference but you think we would have done a division rival a solid by getting them a qb?

3. Unhappyjetsfan

I think that if Buffalo had offered their second rounder, we would have taken it in a heartbeat over the Saints third rounder. I don't even think there would have been an internal discussion about not sending him to Buffalo because it's in the division.

4. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Not only that but it seems that the timing of the Bridgewater deal was (at least partly) to avoid a QB controversy and division in the locker room and give Sam a chance to grow without having to look over his shoulder.

5. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

A trade for a decent QB between division rivals?

No chance.

harts24, Cman68 and FJF like this.
  6. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Hypothesis: This thread is an abject failure.

The poster thought the Jets should have waited to trade Bridgewater to receive more compensation. He then waited until a fairly major Qb injury occurred to post a pointless thread about how they’d have gotten more if only they’d waited to trade him to the desperate team that just lost a QB.

Discuss.

harts24, Ptflea2, Cman68 and 3 others like this.
  7. Aero

Aero Well-Known Member

Never mind the in-division trade stuff, the Bills aren't a QB away from solving all of their problems. This isn't the Vikings sending a top pick to the Eagles for Bradford from a few years ago. Not to mention, why give up a valuable 2nd rounder that should be used to build around your newly drafted franchise QB?

harts24 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  8. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

They would have traded us a second because it would have been a steal for them.

Asking price for inter division rival would have been Mack type compensation.

9. Quinnenthebeast

Quinnenthebeast Well-Known Member

Yep lets hand a good QB to one of our biggest rivals. What could go wrong?

harts24, Cman68, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  10. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree with you more. I posted before the trade that we needed to trade him to clear the deck for Sam (to get him the 1st team reps and not be looking over his shoulder). Certain posters on here blew me up for suggesting it would be best if we traded Teddy sooner rather than later. Then a week later, Macc made the trade. We're all in on Sammy!

11. Unhappyjetsfan

Yes, exactly. It happened just as I (and others) predicted it would happen ("fairly major QB injury") at the time the trade with the Saints was made. When we made that trade, there was disagreement on this board over whether or not a team would lose their QB before the trade deadline and be willing to spend more in a trade than the Saints' 3rd round pick. Now we have a team with an injury, so I am resuming the discussion. You know ... the entire purpose of a message board ... to have on-going discussions about the subject matter.

tl;dr:
    Macc made a dumb decision.

12. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

The only team that would trade for him would be one of the legit SB contenders

I personally don’t think the Bills are contenders and do not think they would have traded for Teddy.

That would be insane. They are looking at a full rebuild around Josh. Not looking for controversy and a few meaningless wins.

Now if say if Brees or Goff went down, I could see those level of teams show interest.

The Saints made the preemptive strike as insurance.

13. Will-I-Am-Not

Will-I-Am-Not Well-Known Member

We wouldn't want a second rounder in Mac's hands anyway. Hackenberg may have a kid brother who's a placekicker, and Mac would just use the second to draft him.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

I don’t think it had anything to do with the locker room. Once it became obvious that Darnold would be the starter there was no chance in hell Mac was paying Bridgewater the salary that was due. They could have waited until the end of the preseason and avoided any potential locker room issues, but it’s no coincidence he was traded ahead of his salary becoming guaranteed for the season.

nicg4360 and Cman68 like this.
  15. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Kudos for provocative and original hypothesis. These ideas may get coldly shot down, but in the big picture the forum is well-served by fresh ideas.

Now for the cold shoot down.

There is ZERO chance Buffalo signals one iota of regret about their #1 pick by flipping a 2 within the division. they might as well send the Jets their wives and daughters in the deal.

bigbucks24, HomeoftheJets and Cman68 like this.
  16. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

The Bills are in full rebuild mode and you think they would’ve traded a prime pick that could be used on adding talent to help the QB they traded up for on a QB to start for a couple weeks?

17. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Hey ..lets just talk about the New Orleans deal because Longsuffering is right about how SB contenders need a QB (NOT Buffalo for goodness sake)

Mac got RIPPED OFF...should have DEMANDED a 2nd from the Saints or held out a little..a third from a needy team is meh imo

Whoever posted they dont "trust" Mac with a Second because of recent history is just laughable

Longsuffering88 likes this.
  18. GREG

GREG Well-Known Member

Their loss against the Ravens 47-3 loss was a train wreck for them and they didn't look good in the 1st half against the Chargers but since then their D has improved a lot. If they had an NFL caliber offense they probably could compete for a WC. They need a full rebuild on their O but their D is coming along just fine.

PJ4Ever likes this.
  19. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

People also seem to be acting like Allen is going to be out for (most of) the season. I've seen nothing that suggests that. It would be a pretty strange decision to give up a second round pick to bring in Bridgewater just to have him sit behind Allen. And if the Bills had intended to sit Allen for the season to "learn" (as some have suggested they should have done) they wouldn't have gotten rid of Taylor and McCarron to begin with.

To give up a second round pick for a half-season rental with the ceiling being fighting for a wild card, getting beaten in a playoff game, and having the QB then walk, seems like a very bad idea to me. A much more interesting one is whether Jacksonville would have had the guts to admit that Bortles is useless and pull the trigger on a trade - they're the kind of team for which it makes sense.

Having said all of that, complaining now about turning a $1 million investment into a 3rd round pick when the decision to play Darnold is working well strikes me as completely ridiculous.

HomeoftheJets, Attackett and FJF like this.
  20. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

HYPOTHESIS: No.