Mike Maccagnan trades so far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by jetsclaps, Oct 17, 2018.

1. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

1. Brandon Marshal and a 7th for a 5th
    2. Fitzpatrick for a 7th
    3. 2nd and Kearse for Sheldon Richardson.
    4. Sam Darnold for Draft picks
    5. Henry Anderson for a 7th
    6. 3rd round pick for Bridgewater

I was just thinking about this and wanted to highlight it. I think given the above information is enough for me to want to keep Maccagnan around for at least a few more years.

Particularly the events that led to drafting Sam Darnold - beginning with the trade of Sheldon Richardson. If Sam turns out to be the player we think he will be, I don't think you can kick aside the GM who made that happen. He has potentially did for the Jets what no other person has done for 50 years. It wasnt a Ryan Grigson type deal where Luck fell right into his lap.

I'll admit his drafting has been spotty, but even the great Patriots have whiffed on a lot of players.

2. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

It was Richardson FOR Kearse as I recall ..

Frankly SD WILL BE MACS one and only GREAT legacy imo

6 items is a small sample ..he overdrafted on Defense overpaid for Mo and Mevi$ and Fitzpatrick should have gotten a 2nd from SB bound New Orleans as Teddy will be the heir apparent for Brees on so on and so on

Hes Average at best,,,sorry

3. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

Getting Henry Anderson for a 7th is looking mighty good right about now.

I’m a Mac fan and think he should certainly be given the chance to finish this rebuild.

LogeSection2RowJ and LF911SC like this.
  4. LF911SC

LF911SC Well-Known Member

Got the second for Richardson.

Didn't overpay for Mo. He was coming off 12 sacks and a pro bowl season. He was paid market value and Mo then became a dog. Even Revis, was coming off a 20 Mil season. Stop rewriting history. And be thankful he gave them contracts that allowed the Jets to get out of them without crazy penalties

BacktoQueens, Dom, Noam and 1 other person like this.
  5. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

WRONG

LF911SC likes this.
  6. JetFanInPA

JetFanInPA Well-Known Member

I've liked his strategy, the contracts he's given out (even the ones that didn't pan out were easy to get out of), and the trades. He's missed on some picks, some of which is to be expected, though not a fantastic draft record either. Overall, I tend to understand and agree with the moves he makes. He's generally been savvy and seems to know when to be aggressive and when not to be. The jury is out for me still, but for now I'll be glad to continue having him as GM

7. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

Macs been very solid on the pro player side of acquiring talent. Getting kearse and a 2 for Richardson was straight up robbery.
    He just needs to hit on some impact players in the middle rounds. Increase the talent on offense and find a pass rusher and this team is set. He’ll have the chances, there probably won’t be any changes made in management this year. Not as long as sam continues to improve.

BacktoQueens, Dom, Jets81 and 8 others like this.
  8. Kris 15

Kris 15 Well-Known Member

Needs to do better in the middle rounds of the draft; rounds 2-4 have netted us very little during his time here. He has actually been pretty solid outside of that.

We'll have a lot of cap space next year but we also only have 30 players under contract so this will be a big off-season for Mac as far as shaping the team for the next few years.

NCJetsfan and LF911SC like this.
  9. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I'd like to see some hits on draft picks after round 1 and the OL get some attention with early round picks. But he has made good trades and structures contracts in a way that doesn't cripple the cap in future years.

NCJetsfan, FJF, stinkyB and 1 other person like this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

nope kearse and a 2nd for richardson and it was a great trade. as kearse is here contributing still, richardson sucked last year and left seattle anyway and the 2nd we got we used to move up for sam. mac has been excellent working trades and signing good performing inexpensive free agents to fill holes. he's also found some late round gems and has hit everyone of his 1st round picks and got us our franchise QB. the only complaint is he needs to do better in the middle rounds. lots of busts in the 2-4th rounds but same can be said of every GM. he's also managed the cap very well

BacktoQueens, FJF, K'OB and 1 other person like this.
  11. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Mac has done well in trades. His approach to the O-line is maddening and we've missed on a bunch of mid round picks which is where you fill out quality/cheap depth. I'm not saying he needs to go, but he is far from on solid ground over all.

NCJetsfan and FJF like this.
  12. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

2015: I personally don't hold him "mainly" responsible for this draft as he got here in January but post first round overall is a bust.
    think the only player even on an NFL roster currently is Deon Simon and he has yet to acquire a single stat playing form the bench.

2016:
    Round 2 Hackenburg. This was absolutely his worst draft pick since he's been here. NO ONE understood this pick.

Round 3 Jordan Jenkins. While it didn't seem like it at first Jordan is turning into a solid 3rd round pick. Good power rusher
    who can tackle well and can beat OT's to get to the backfield.

Round 5 Brandon Shell. Not some home run but hey the guy is still on the roster and doing a semi-decent job as our Starting RT.

Round 2 Marcus Maye. While he has been injured this is still a really good pick. This kid can play and honestly looks like the future
    at safety. Our Safety positions have been solidified for the future.

Round 5 Jordan Leggitt. Has had injuries but has done well enough to keep himself a roster spot but currently stuck behind two other very solid TE's.

Round 6 Elijah McGuire. I think a bunch of us are a little high on this kid once he returns. Has some promise in his skill set

Round 3 Nathan Shepard. Project with a high physical ceiling. Has done well sucking up double teams when on the field but is still a "wait to see"

Round 4 Chris Herndon. This kid looks better every time he steps on the field. Turned out a big
    game recently and is really starting to look like a good receiver.

Round 6 Perry Nickerson. Kid is playing like a rookie. But has some really amazing athletic abilities and is always 2 steps behind making a play.
    Personally feel like once the game slows down for him by next season this kid is a starter for us. I'm going to go out on a limb and say
    Claiborne doesn't get resigned and Nickerson is a starting ocb next season.

Round 6 Folorunso Faatukasi. Kid has earned his way into the starting rotation and has not made
    any real mistake that would shorten his snap count anytime soon.

I know we give mac a lot of shit but if you take all this into consideration with what he has done in free agency/ trades for later round picks.
    Where we sit cap wise and the state of the current roster. It really looks like Mac took a long-term approach and is very close to getting the job done.

Now understand I say this just for discussion's sake as I am one of the Mac haters all though I support Bowles staying.

::edit 2018 got left out some how::

#12 JdotGriff, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
    LF911SC and GasedAndConfused like this.
  13. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Still too early to judge, but I think this years 3 picks after Darnold look like they're working out as well

NCJetsfan likes this.
  14. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

This is a fair point, however his immediate predecessors were missing with a fair few of their first round picks as well, so Mac is at least an upgrade in this area.

NCJetsfan and stinkyB like this.
  15. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Traded for Kearse

Jets trade Sheldon Richardson to Seattle Seahawks
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Print
    • [​IMG]
    • By Kevin Patra
    • Around the NFL Writer
    • Published: Sept. 1, 2017 at 03:07 p.m.
    • Updated: Sept. 3, 2017 at 04:12 p.m.

16. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

AND A 2ND ROÚND PICK and a 7th round swap apparently

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap30...-trade-sheldon-richardson-to-seattle-seahawks

The Seahawks acquired defensive lineman Sheldon Richardson from the New York Jets in exchange for receiver Jermaine Kearse and a 2018 second-round pick, both teams announced. The teams also swapped seventh-round selections in the deal.

17. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

Maybe he needs to better evaluate..... his scouting team. Those rounds are probably reliant on the info his team accumulates.

18. MoWilkBeast

MoWilkBeast Well-Known Member

LF911SC likes this.
  19. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

Nah, he will have his eyes shut then post those facebook/twitter logos 100x larger next time :D

ps, why did he post those logos btw ?

20. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thank u! i've been saying as much but people here feel if he doens't draft 5 pro bowlers a year he is a shit GM who should be fired.

on top of what you already mentioned i'd also like to point out

1) he hasn't missed on a single 1st rounder and that's huge. Lee went form confused rookie, to solid player, to stud now in year 3, adams is just a beast and crazy versatile and the leader and heart of our defense, williams is a stud on the d-line getting pressure on the QB and stuffing the run game, and of course he landed thanks to his trades IMO the best QB prospect to enter the draft since luck in darnold finally giving us a young FQB we've been missing for 50 years.

2) he also signed anderson as an UDFA in 2016 who is now our number 1 WR and one of the best deep threats in the NFL

3) he also drafted peake in the 7th round who is a special teams ace for us

so add those 3 into the positive side of the draft for mac, then add in all the good trades he made, then add in all the free agents he got us while not ruining the cap and the fact we have 100+ mil to spend next offseason as well with an already pretty good roster