Week 7: Minnesota Vikings @ New York Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 14, 2018.

1. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

2. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Roberts had a good day so I expect him to be on Diggs, and Claiborne be on Thielen.

3. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

NYPost: “How sweet it will be for Jets to shut up classless Kirk Cousins”
    https://nypost.com/2018/10/16/how-sweet-it-will-be-for-jets-to-shut-up-classless-kirk-cousins/

Is there a Jets fan alive who doesn’t crave seeing the Jets defense dismantle Kirk Cousins and the Vikings on Sunday at MetLife Stadium and then ask the Minnesota quarterback this:

“You like that?!?’’

Forget that a win over the 3-2-1 Vikings would be a third consecutive victory for the young, upstart Jets, who would get to 4-3 and be in the thick of the AFC East race nearly midway through the season.

The delicious byproduct would be sticking it to Cousins, who not only spurned an outlandish free-agent contract offer of $90 million guaranteed over three years from the Jets in March, but then bragged about using them as leverage to up the Minnesota offer on a video that was posted for public consumption and — as it turned out — Jets embarrassment.

In the video, Cousins tells his wife, Julie, that “the Jets came up to 30 [million], fully guaranteed, three-year deal.”

Her response: “Whoa.”

Cousins then said, “So now we have what we wanted. [His agent, Mike McCartney] has to do the same thing with the Vikings. He’s got to get them from 25 to a number that is competitive with the Jets’ offer. But the fact that we have the Jets offer is huge. Now it gives the other teams a reason to come up.”

The end game was the Vikings upping their offer from $25 million to $28 million per year guaranteed, which Cousins agreed to.

That the video, which contained information from confidential conversations that would be embarrassing to the Jets, was signed off on to be posted to the public is — if we’re cutting the Vikings a break for being absent-minded — a clueless oversight.

But if we’re being more realistic, it was classless.

At the very least, it was cringeworthy.

Then this from Cousins in an interview about why he chose to sign with the Vikings: “Ultimately, the leadership of the organization is what set it apart.”

How exactly he would have any clue about the leadership in the Jets’ organization is curious because Cousins opted not to take a half-day out of his self-important schedule to meet Jets owner Christopher Johnson, general manager Mike Maccagnan and/or coach Todd Bowles.

So he left $6 million on the table to go to Minnesota. He chose the Mall of America over Manhattan, Olive Garden over Il Mulino.

Good for him.

And good for the Jets, who are on a much better path — for now and the future — with their rookie quarterback Sam Darnold. Sometimes the moves you don’t make in life are the most important ones you make.

Therein lies the three-pronged silver lining in this for the Jets:

Had they signed Cousins, who owns a pedestrian 29-32-2 record as an NFL starting quarterback, they’d have never traded up to No. 3 in the draft and picked Darnold.

They wouldn’t have the truckload of salary-cap money, which is expected to be about $90 million, to spend this offseason had they given all that guaranteed dough to Cousins.
    And Cousins was apprehensive about playing for the Jets because he was afraid he wouldn’t be able to handle the pressure and expectations of the New York fans and media. He was scared. Scared doesn’t play well in New York. Never has.
    Cousins, it should be noted, is in his seventh NFL season and fourth as a full-time starter, and has as many playoff wins on his résumé as Darnold, who’s played in six NFL games. Cousins lost both playoff games he’s played in by a combined score of 55-32.

So there’s that.

How delicious would it be for the Jets to exact sweet revenge on Cousins on Sunday with Darnold, who’s improving every week, outplaying the $84 million man?

Revenge is a dish best served cold. The high on Sunday is expected to be about 52 degrees.

Cousins fancies himself a player with a chip on his shoulder. In 2015, after he helped lead the Redskins to a 31-30 win over Tampa Bay after they trailed 24-0, he became best known for that rant in front of cameras that caught him screaming to no one in particular as he trotted to the locker room, “You like that?!?’’

The 75,000 or so fans who’ll be at the game Sunday have a chance to show the chip on their collective shoulders and show Cousins what he’s missing — other than that $6 million he left on the table.

When Cousins was about to sign with the Vikings, McCartney waxed on about how he was going to a place where people are “Minnesota Nice.”

Jets fans, if you have one task on Sunday, it is this: Show Cousins what “Meadowlands Nice’’ is.

NY Jets68, dawinner127 and Big Cat like this.
  4. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Fck off Kirk Cousins, so glad he's not a Jet cuz no Sam I Am. Imagine if he accepted? What were the Jets even thinking? Is Kirk Cousins related to the actor Christopher Cousins? Looks like it. I don't fault the guy for trying to milk every penny possible cuz who wouldn't, but let somebody else ridiculously overspend.

Kirk Cousins was a Tannenbaum move IMO. O, Tannenbaum, O Tannenbaum, how lovely are thy branches? I don't speak German, live with it. Unfortunately, I think the Jets get destroyed on Sunday, but I'm almost always wrong, so who is to say. Just show up Jets and make my new bottle of Rolaids worth the purchase. It's only Tuesday, and I'm already imagining burping up pizza in my sleep on Sunday night.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  5. phubbadaman

phubbadaman Well-Known Member

I've expected them to lose the last two games, so now that I think they have a chance, they will likely be decimated. I think we can score on them, I just worry they will score more.

NYJetsO12 and CotcheryFan like this.
  6. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

I think the Jets win again. I have nothing really legitimate to base it on as the Vikings have the better team but in the history of the franchise there has always been good luck when facing the Vikings for some reason.

7. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

Because purple sucks?

NYJFOREVER and BrowningNagle like this.
  8. twown

twown Well-Known Member

lol Post. It would the best feeling since opening night if we win this game, but what exactly did Cousins do? He preferred Minnesota's leadership (who doesn't?!), and then he expressed happiness that a rival was driving up his market price?

What a DICK! :rolleyes:

(Ok. But for real, let's destroy him.)

FJF likes this.
  9. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

The Jets are 5-0 all time at home vs Minnesota.

BrowningNagle and donkey like this.
  10. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yeah, the supposed outrage because Cousins was able to use the Jets' $90 million offer to get $84 million from the Vikings strikes me as ridiculous. Given his age, it would have been pretty stupid for him to prefer going to a team that appeared to be years away from contending rather than a team that was just in the conference championship game when he was getting more money than he could ever know what to do with either way.

TonyFtLaud, FJF, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  11. ConcordeChops

ConcordeChops 2018 International Poster Award Winner

I couldn’t care less about Cousins, I don’t see this as a revenge match at all.

However, I’ll still never forgive the Florida Blacktips for stealing Tajh Boyd from the Jets.

12. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

Cousins couldn’t handle N.Y.

the statements about preferring Minnesota’s leadership are just fluff. He wasn’t gonna come here no matter what cause he doesn’t have the cojones.

He’s a soft midwestern boy. He got a soft midwestern team

Brook! likes this.
  13. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

The Jets need to treat this game as the next game on the schedule. Cousins did what he did. Fck it and move on. That's what mature teams do. If we win, we've earned the right to throw all the shade we want at Cousins. If we don't, oh well we really weren't expected to win anyway. To try to use the snub as motivation is childish and short sighted considering the snub brought us SammyD. We've shown up two weeks in a row and played well. Time to show what we are against a quality opponent. Lets leave false motivation on the sidelines for a change.

14. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Someone ...lots of posters .

were dying to get this guy lmao

Now we need to destroy him? Talk about lack of respect for Capt Kirk ..too funny

I NEVER wanted him here...he is famous for choking big time and his window of ability is hardly as big as SD

Thanks ..Football Gods:p

15. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is a scary game, in my opinion. It feels like a trap game.

I think we are good enough to beat Minnesota, but I also feel like we could easily lose this game. Coming off a 2 game winning streak, we need to exploit a suspect defense. Offensive line needs to continue playing at a high level and Darnold needs to have another game like last week. If he does, we win this game.

Theilen, or however the fuck you spell his name, scares me with our secondary and the injuries to Johnson and Maye. Adams needs to help over the top. If Theilen has a big game, it's gonna be hard to beat them.

I am also VERY confident in Sam Darnold. This is a game that many would want to come out seeking revenge and make dumb mistakes, but if there is one thing we've learned about Darnold, he likely will show no emotion and treat this as just another game.

16. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

We might win the game, but the mood here is too optimistic for my taste. The board went from jumping off a bridge to very excited for this game, and that's too big a swing.

NYJetsO12, FJF and The Dark Knight like this.
  17. Ralebird

Ralebird Well-Known Member

Does anyone here actually believe that the players on the Jets would find the actions and statements of Cousins to be something motivational in playing against him? Every single guy in the NFL and thousands outside of it applaud those players who negotiate, formally or informally, to get the best deal for themselves and their families.

NYJetsO12 and The Dark Knight like this.
  18. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

No way. Football doesn't even work that way. You need to execute the plays that are called. There is nothing that should give a player extra motivation. They should give it their all every single play. As we have said in this thread: fans (or players) can't even be upset with Cousins since the end result brought the Jets Sam Darnold. Not to mention that the Vikings were clearly a better option for Kirk than the Jets.
    I think most fans are cautiously optimistic. The Vikings are the better team, but the Jets have a realistic chance to win if they play mistake-free.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

This one is going to be interesting. Kirk Cousins, the guy who turned the Jets down, and they are better off for it. Sheldon Richardson, the guy who caused drama and got traded for a pick that was integral in drafting Darnold.

The Jets are tied for 2nd in both interceptions and forced fumbles. Cousins has 17 fumbles in the past 4 years, 3 this year so far(tied for 4th in league), and 3 picks. You know this D is going to be licking their chops.

#79 Sam Hammer, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018
  20. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

I initially wanted Cousins and I don’t have any issues with what he did, it’s just good business. That being said, I love how it turned out. The Ginger might actually be just what we all hoped he would be.

FJF likes this.