Jets o-line ratings from PFF so far

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 12, 2018.

1. TouchyFeely

TouchyFeely Well-Known Member

I'll help out since I'm perusing the site now thanks to this thread. Basically its all a numbers game. There are 64 starting tackles in the league, for instance. By definition the rank 32-33 guys are in the middle of those 64 starters so in any given year those guys hovering around the center of the pack set the standard for "average" tackle play. NEITHER of our tackles meet this average standard, both fall slightly short at 36th and 41st so by definition they are starter quality but not above average starters since they do still fall in the top 64.

Meanwhile our guards are higher ranked with lower PFF grades, indicating that guard play is likely down so far this season. Or maybe their system doesn't value guard play as much as tackle play.

Spencer Long is our LOWEST graded lineman but the highest ranked at 29 among 32 starting centers. He's ranked higher because theres only one starting center per team, but it seems hes a fringe starter production-wise and I think everyone on this forum would agree he's been a disappointment and the PFF numbers agree. They suggest he's barely a starter.

This far into the season our ONLY lineman with an above average grade at their position is Brian Winters, ranked 31 among guards.

2. twown

twown Well-Known Member

Thanks. So was OP just inserting his own odd perception of what constitutes "above average," or is PFF actually writing that?

3. TouchyFeely

Only thing PFF writes is numbers. By definition any player above 32 at either tackle or guard are "above average" or above 16 at center.

What the PFF numbers do tell us is our tackles and guards are average to slightly below average while our center is one of the worst starters in the league. By their standards.

GasedAndConfused and twown like this.
  4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

Just for curiosity I'd be interested how Quenton Nelson is ranking.

My eye test told me that the Detroit and Bronco games the Jets just rolled to lopsided wins. The other three games though, in other words when it really mattered, Darnold was basically under assault the entire time and the pass protection was simply inadequate. So I'm not sure what that all means but that's what its looked like to me.

Just when I was ready to put our entire line in front of the firing squad they totally kicked Denver's ass. A team that has some premier defenders on it. I guess we'll just see how they do in the next few games.

5. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

thanks!

6. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

no PFF grades them on a score. The score decides if they are above average. it's right on their site. I didn't put any opinion of mine into it, it's just the data from PFF

twown likes this.
  7. TouchyFeely

Fwiw PFF no longer rates Long as a top 32 center. Meaning someone's backup center is playing better than him by their standards.

8. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Spencer Long has been pretty bad and he’s still a massive upgrade over Wes Johnson lol

9. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

sometimes I throw PFF metrics to the wind and just go with my eye test. My eye test shows our OLINE playing above expectations and overall, pretty well.

10. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

Some PFF notes in general, Beachum had a GREAT day, he was a prime pass blocking beast when he was at Pittsburgh...

PFF Nuggets on #Jets⁠ ⁠ in week 6:

- Sam Darnold: 92.6 adjusted completion percentage (#1 for QBs)

- Kelvin Beachum 88.8 pass blocking grade (#1 for OTs)

- #Jets⁠ ⁠ OL only allowed 4 total pressures

- Daryl Roberts only allowed 2 catches for 22 targets across 46 coverage snaps (think they meant yards)

11. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

From reading this thread, it sounds like PFF grades should be used to supplement what our eyes are seeing during gameday, and what the stat sheets actually say. They are not the be all end all.

Mogriffjr and Red Menace like this.
  12. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just like analytics in other sports, it's a tool that doesn't eliminate the need for the eye test.

FJF likes this.
  13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

They are 100% the be all and end all!!!!

new plan for NFL: After the April draft, each team holds one intra-squad scrimmage which PFF records from every possible angle. PFF then compiles their data and does a simulation of the whole season and playoffs. This would save us the headache of watching actual games.

Then in early February we invite friends over for Super-Reveal Sunday!

6:40 pm -- Puppy Bowl highlights.
    6:43 pm -- Cardi B performs half a song.
    6:47 pm -- six straight commercials for upcoming The Rock movie.
    6:50 -- PFF tells us who won!

:p

14. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I pity the puppies who have to be associated with the rest of that crap.

15. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Eventually humans will look back on NFL football and come to realize that it is at least 66% luck. With a few exceptions, you don't have elite stars, you have athleticism and lucky / unlucky streaks.

#35 Sam Hammer, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018