CBS Sports: Chandler Jones trade rumor to Jets

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by JohnnyP123456, Oct 14, 2018.

Tags:
  1. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Thank God you aren't the GM!!!! Trading 3 of our draft picks for two 28-year old players. That would only pay off if the Jets won a SB within 2-3 years. Of course, after that, they'd be rebuilding again, with all the old stiffs you guys want to trade for and sign. SMH

2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I really don't know why I bother having exchanges with you. You are 100% close-minded and a Bowles backer no matter what. Your confirmation bias makes it impossible for you to see anything Bowles does as bad or a mistake. Enjoy living in your bubble.

3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

We usually agree, but I disagree with you here. We have Darnold for 5 years(or is it 4?) on a rookie contract. The goal should be to win while he's still making peanuts. And what are the odds that those draft picks become as good as Peterson and Jones?

4. ColoradoContrails

If they did win a SB in 2-3 years then the investment was worth it. And they don't necessarily have to do a full rebuild at that point. If they're smart - yeah, I know - they'll retool on the fly like the Patriots and other winning franchises do. If they're not smart, I'll say goodbye and I won't worry about it any more.

CotcheryFan likes this.
  5. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Trading for Peterson is a bad move not only because you give up draft picks but you end up with 3 CB's that none have slot experience and all are aging. Its a waste this year.

You could argue letting claiborn after this season but i honestly dont see trumaine and pp being any better next year then the combo of claiborn and trumaine.

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

If you could get Jones and PP for 2 3 and a 5 and you didn't do it Mac should be fired on the spot. The reality is out of those 3 picks 1 might be an NFL starter at some point.

With those 2 players the Jets might actual contend for a playoff spot this year. Certainly next with a couple of FA additions.

ColoradoContrails and FJF like this.
  7. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Are you serious? PP is miles better than both of them.

stinkyB and Mr mittens like this.
  8. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Exactly right. This is the blueprint the Rams used. Once they identified Goff as an top NFL QB they went all in.

9. JdotGriff

First off Peterson is not the Peterson of the past and is starting to decline shown by his play this year. You add next season into that also.

BUT my main point was not based on Petersons skill alone it was based on our two outside CB's and how different plys style they would be to scheme fit to.

My comment was that Trumain and Peterson would not be any better of a combo than Trumain and Claiborn would be.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I could be wrong, but believe that it's impossible to fix the OL in FA even if Mac were willing to spend every bit of cap space to do so, and every potential FA actually becomes available.

To begin with, imo there is only one potential FA LT who's any better than Beacham, Donovan Smith. He's been the starting LT for the Buccaneers since he was drafted, but why would the Bucs let him walk in FA? Also, would he be a fit in our ZBS? The other FA LTs are Ty Nsekhe (33), Cedric Ogbuehi (27), Jake Fisher (26), Ty Sambrailo (27), Chris Clark (33), Greg Robinson (26), Ulrick John (27), Jeremy Vujnovich (28), and Trenton Brown (26). Nsekhe is old and is pretty much a career backup. I liked Ogbuehi coming out of college, but he's been a disappointment. He appeared in only 5 games his rookie season, started none. In 2016, he stated 12 of the 14 games he in which he appeared, and in 2017 started 13 of the 14 games in which he appeared, but I'm not sure if that was at RT or LT. Presently, he's the Bengals backup RT. I'd like to possible sign him as depth at RT, but doubt he's an LT. Jake Fisher is the Bengals backup LT. He has started around 11 games during his career, but is primarily a backup. Sambrailo is and has been a backup. Clark is old. At least he has started a little over half the games he's appeared in during his career, and he's currently starting for the Panthers. Robinson started for 3 seasons with the Rams, but then signed with the Lions as a FA, where he started all 6 games in which he appeared. They let him walk, and he's now a backup with the Browns. Ulrick John has bounced around, having been with 4 teams in 5 year. Vujnovich started last year with the Colts at LT, but they either traded him, cut him, or let him walk, and he is now a backup LG for the Cardinals Brown started 28 of the 31 games in which he appeared for the Niners, but was traded, cut or allowed to walk and is now the Patriots starting LT. Thus, the odds of LT getting fixed in FA are next to nothin.

At LG, there's only Ali Marpet and AJ Cann. They might be able to upgrade depth, but unless they can sign Marpet or Cann, OG isn't getting fixed in FA. Cann is and/or has been Jacksonville's starting RG. At least Marpet has been the Bucs starting LG.

C could possibly be upgraded. Mitch Morse (27) has been the Chiefs starting center for the last 3 years and is again this year, but why would they let him walk? The same goes for the Broncos' Matt Paradis (29). He is and has been their starter for the previous three seasons. Nick Easton (27) is listed as a C, but he's playing OG for the Vikings. Brian Schwenke (28) started for the Titans for three seasons, but then was a backup for his last two and is now a backup with the Pats. Zac Kerin (28) is listed as a center at Spotrac, but on his NFL page, he's listed as an OG, and he's played sparingly in his career. Joey Hunt (25) is a career backup. Jake Brendel (26) is a career backup. Austin Reiter (27) is a career backup. B.J. Finney (27) is listed on Spotrac as a center, but is a career backup and is now listed as an OG for the Steelers. Marpet also plays center, so maybe they could sign him, have him play center and move Long to LG.

Winters is probably set at RG, but even if not his dead money cap hit would be prohibitive after this season.

It's possible that Shell could be upgraded with one of Seantrel Henderson (27), Cedric Ogbuehi (27), Ja'Wuan James (27), or Bobby Hart (25), but if not, one would provide better depth than we currently have.

So, in order to fix the OL, every single one of the best FAs at each OL position (if they would fit in our ZBS) would have to become a FA and be willing to sign with the Jets. It could be upgraded with just a player or two, but we can't even count on that, particularly if Mac trade for Jones and Cooper, and the Jets wind up picking in the mid teens. In that scenario, we might be able to add an LT, but I wouldn't hold my breath. Mac would probably draft a CB to replace Morris Claiborne (he's a FA following this season.)

11. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

It's a fair point but PP is a true single press cover corner. He takes the best WR and will put them well below their average almost every game. The Cardinals have always used him as a single press corner. The new D has switched from a 3/4 to a 4/3 and plays a ton of zone. They also don't have decent interior linebackers and the safeties and corners are being asked to tackle running backs in the defensive backfield not PP strong point. PP has never played zone before. He's a press cover corner who doesn't need help. He had a down year when he was diagnosed with diabetes. That was 2 years ago. He has changed his diet and workout regime and had a great year last year. They guy is in fantastic shape and I think he could do what Trumain hasn't been able to do. Shut down the other teams best WR without help.

There aren't many shut down CB's in this league who you can leave on an Island. PP is one of them. I think he is far better than either Claiborn or Trumain. I think having a true shutdown CB would allow our safeties to really do some damage.

12. JdotGriff

Both of our current book end corners are only allowing 2-3% high catch ratings currently. Most of the big yards we are giving up are again our slot corners and lb's.

But for discussion sake picture trumaine having to play coverage vs teams #2 wr's who typically tend to be more speed based vs route runners where his strength is. Then think about us having what 25+ mill tied up on these two 29 yo corners next season and still no actual solution to the slot receiver dilemma that is absolutely been the death of us this season. Jones i can see the legit argument to bring in just because he will make our dline far better but bringing in Peterson at the end of his carear feels like Revis post pats to me again instead of investing in a future.

No Mack is not batting 100 with picks post first round but we have nailed a few. Think about how many times we have brought in really good players towards the end of their career and it has bitten us int he ass.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Really good response.

I think the idea that we could get Jones or PP for a 3rd is a little nuts. There is a rumor in AZ that PP may be on the trade block. I suspect if he is it's because he wants out. There is zero rumor about Jones. Jones has been playing great and I can't see any reason for AZ to trade him unless it was for players and multiple picks. If PP wants out I can see management working something out. I suspect if he does it's to an immediate contender. He did have a terrific relationship with Bowles but I really think he is frustrated with the losing and doesn't like playing zone.

Your point about FA signings is hard to argue. A lot of guys get the big pay day and dog it. One thing about Jones, he signed a new contract and came in after signing it in unbelievable shape and had his best season last year. He looks every bit as good this year. He doesn't appear to be a guy who gets his pay day and dogs it. He looks to me like a guy looking to play for a long time. He seems to really enjoy it. I think he would be great on the Jets for several years.

I also think Jones contract may look very good as the cap goes up.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

LMAO hardly i'm critical when it's warranted and far from closed minded. you may want to look in the mirror to see someone closed minded. bowles has been a dud for me several times this year in my studs and duds so how can you say i'm not critical?

15. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

I would not give up anything significant for PP but for Jones I'd be willing to part with a 4th rounder. If somebody gives them more than that, fine.

16. mrjet80

mrjet80 Well-Known Member

You are definitely a deep thinker.........this is well thought out...

I read that Ali Marpet was resigned last week so scratch him off the radar. I'm thinking the best plan may possibly be to concentrate on the pass rush in FA...maybe bring two guys in? Fowler and another guy? Break the bank for Lawrence ? Maybe sign one of the other guards you mentioned along with a skill player or two. If no guard then in the draft go LT first round and center in the third......switch Long to LG. Kepp Winters and Shell in place. They are at least adequate. Not pro bowlers but you cant have pro bowlers everywhere....improving the left side of the line may do those two guys wonders.....just a thought.

#136 mrjet80, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. twown

twown Well-Known Member

The fact that this needs to be explained not only to fans but also to the vast majority of sports "journalists" pretty much sums up modern culture.

Manager changes pitchers with two outs and bases loaded. Batter X smashes a line drive that turns into game-ending double-play.

Media: Manager presses all the right buttons! Understands matchups! Knows how to win!

Batter X bloops game-winning hit.

Media: Manager is in over his head! Should have trusted prior pitcher! Let the players play! Losing the clubhouse!

ffs.

18. thedrjay

thedrjay Active Member

Except that is now the window for most teams to win a Super Bowl now. All the teams in the league are attempting to win prior to the QB being signed to his second deal, when he takes up a disproportionate part of the cap. Eagles selling out to try and successfully win. Rams, going all in this season. The Bears, trading for Mack while Trubisky is still on his rookie deal.

19. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

This guy gets it.

One of the main reasons the Patriots have maintained their long term success has been Brady's willingness to take less and spread it out longer in order to free up money for more weapons. According to Business Insider, he has given up at least $60 million in revenue over the course of his career. No other QB has been willing to do anything like that and the cost of a FQB has escalated unbelievably over the past few years. Darnold could well cost us $40+ million per year when his rookie contract ends.

Just about everyone here views Sam as the real deal - If so, you have to strike while the iron is hot. Get the pieces in place while you have the money to do so and make a run.

20. ColoradoContrails

The NFL has set things up to almost prohibit "dynasties". They want parity and "Any given Sunday" competitiveness. They've set up the salary cap structure, rookie deals, and FA, etc. to produce this. Therefore, the idea of trying to put together a team of young stars and remaining contenders for years is nigh impossible. At best, you'll get a three year window when everyone is at or near their peak, and their salaries don't put you over the cap. With this in mind, I think next year is when the Jets have to start their push, not get ready for it. This means they're going to need to sign or trade for some veterans who are capable of getting them to the SB. If some of these guys are a little "long in the tooth", so be it. Because if a guy is in his prime - 25 - 28 - and a stud, no team is going to let him walk or give him up cheap. You MIGHT find one or two cases of these being available, but there's also likely to be some flag attached to them.

The other reality is that the Jets don't have a lot of high draft capital, so even if they wanted to mainly rely on the draft they can't. And they can't wait for three drafts to acquire what they need. There's going to have to be compromises made.

mrjet80 and Trainer like this.