Should the Jets trade for Amari Cooper?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by ColoradoContrails, Oct 15, 2018.

?

Should the Jets Trade For Amari Cooper?

1. Yes

14 vote(s)
    20.9%
  2. No

53 vote(s)
    79.1%
  1. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

You beat me to the punch. Enough of this trade BS for people that can be had next year without loosing our precious picks. We should not give our draft pick for a position of marginal need, when we have major problems to solve thru the draft and free agency

2. jcass10

jcass10 Well-Known Member

I'd trade one of the 3rds for Cooper and a 4th or 5th.

Not trying to get rid of all the draft picks

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Mr mittens likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I completely understand those who say they don't want to use up any draft picks because they want to save them to improve the OL and pass rush, but keep in mind just because you have the picks doesn't mean you'll be able to get the guys you want. Much depends on their final record and where they're slotted, as well as which guys declare, and then most importantly, correctly assessing and identifying guys and having them actually work out. What's Macc's record so far on the draft? He's batting less than .300 which doesn't give you a high probability of striking gold. Using a pick that we just "found" for a quality player has a higher probability of success than an unproven college player. And it's not like the Jets don't need a stud skill position player.

Just some food for thought.

Mr mittens likes this.
  4. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I can't see the Raiders trading him at all. If so, then unless Cooper and Gruden are like oil and water, or Cooper has some major injury, Gruden is certifiably insane and should be committed immediately. Even if they were willing to trade him, I can't see their accepting anything less than a 2nd and more likely a 1st round pick and maybe more. For a 4th or 3rd I'd do it or maybe even our 2nd round pick in 2020, but not our first in 2019.

Mr mittens likes this.
  5. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

Exactly.
    We see threads on this board all the time saying that an edge rusher will take the defense to the next level (I agree), yet no one seems to want to give up anything to get one. Same with the offense - "bunch of no names" according to the posters here, but no one wants to make a deal to get a playmaker. I don't understand the thought process. If you do nothing, nothing changes.

6. ColoradoContrails

As BroadwaySam posted earlier:

Of course there's no guarantee this is what the Raiders will accept, and also, as I noted, they might refuse to trade him within the AFC as they did with Mack, but IF he could be had at this price and the Raiders were willing to trade him to us, would you do it?

7. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

Not worth the price the guys not lived up to his billing

8. NCJetsfan

Absolutely nuts and ignorant of the realities. If we did that, Sam could wind up on IR and maybe wind up like David Carr.

9. Trainer

The Jets have allowed 13 sacks in 179 pass attempts. Only four teams have allowed less in a similar number of attempts.

Mr mittens likes this.
  10. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

meh, I wouldn't. he hasn't been special and he isn't going to get a bunch of money thrown at him. i'd keep the pick(s)

11. NCJetsfan

Are the Raiders in cap hell? If not, why wouldn't they pay Cooper? I just looked at his career numbers, and he isn't as bad as some are trying to portray him.

12. NCJetsfan

Sacks aren't the only stat. How many hurries and hits have the Jets given up? How many points did they put up in their 3 losses? What's their red zone efficiency rating?

13. ColoradoContrails

IIRC, they're not going to have a lot of cap room - isn't that why they unloaded Mack? Maybe they know he won't be worth what his contract will require them to pay next year, which would raise a flag of course. Still, he would have to pass a physical. Obviously there's a lot to be discovered and we're not going to be privy to that, but basing things on the surface things we do know, if he's healthy, and they need to unload him "cheap", I think it would be a good acquisition for the right price.

14. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

The rules in the league allow you to win with good receivers. Our receivers are good. No need to even waste time worrying about trading for marginally better receivers just because they are available and distracting ourselves from much more important needs.

stinkyB, HomeoftheJets and FJF like this.
  15. jetfan59

jetfan59 Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I would trade for Cooper because of the money it would take. He only has one year left on his contract and the Jets are already going to have to pay Enunwa and Anderson this offseason. That also doesn't include if the Jets want to bring back Pryor or Kearse.

16. Trainer

I was addressing the "Sam could wind up on IR and maybe wind up like David Carr" remark. What do points in losses and red zone efficiency have to do with winding up on IR?
    On the other hand, a legit blue chip weapon on offense addresses both the points and red zone efficiency questions.

The o-line was weak in a couple of games and if you remember, I was critical. However, I see vast improvement as they are absorbing the zone blocking scheme and have put in the time playing together and learning to become a unit. That's the beauty of the zone scheme - you don't need Dallas' much vaunted offensive line (who, by the way, has given up 19 sacks in just 171 attempts).

jonnyd likes this.
  17. NCJetsfan

I knew that you were addressing that point. I was just pointing out that there were other valid reasons as well. Just because the OL has had a good game or two, doesn't mean that we should act as if the problem is solved.

18. TurkJetFan

TurkJetFan Well-Known Member

No for 2 reasons.

1) He's not good at football.
    2) They want a first.

FJF likes this.
  19. Attackett

Attackett Well-Known Member

I would think it’s a hell of a lot more likely that you can get Cooper for a 3rd than you can get Chandler Jones.

I would not trade for a WR, especially a WR that isn’t very good.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Because a third for Cooper is over paying for him. If Randy Moss in his prime is only worth a 4th and Santonio Holmes a 5th, that should tell you where Cooper’s value is. Receivers just don’t have much trade value.

A pass rusher though is invaluable.

Attackett and FJF like this.