Sam Darnold after 6 weeks. Did he meet your expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I don't know, Kurt.

If anything, Dave Brown-led Giants football was anything but boring. Interceptions, sacks or fumbles lost were always just around the corner. I was literally watching every Giants game at the edge of my seat during these days. [As did my brother. We would high-five each other at yet another Dave Brown interception.]

2. joe

joe Well-Known Member

You STILL THINK it was "the right move to take him?"

BULLSHIT . with a capital everything.

First off, you contributed NOTHING in the draft threads leading up to the draft. And your lazy (and clueless) "he never made plays downfield or on the sidelines" generalization above confirms the fact that you (and a lot of "other QB" fanboys-now-turned-backpeddlers) didn't see USC or Darnold and what's more you've denegrated this kid from day one saying among other things that of the top 4 QB prospects you had him rated #5 and: that he had a "punchable face" (with a not-so-thinly-vailed racist swipe to boot for good measure).

But don't take my word for it, let's look at what YOU posted immediatedly after the Jets drafted Sam Darnold:

You NEVER thought it was the right move to take him. Own it.

3. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Actually his motion Slghtly reminded me of Bortles which is why he worried me but yeah it’s a much quicker release.

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  4. Jetsfansince2015

Thanks for posting the link. Very impressive.

Brook! likes this.
  5. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

You left some out...

Donttasemebro and Footballgod214 like this.
  6. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

To be fair, Sam has started every game and it certainly felt like the cuffs were on in some of the first 6. A couple games worth of experience can clearly make a difference for a rookie QB at this stage, though.

Allen is the only one with a fully comparable body of work and it’s no contest there.

Jags are the best defense he’s faced and they’re very good. Every other team is in the bottom half of the league, and that’s AFTER facing a rookie QB(s). The Vikings will be the best he’s faced after the Jags, and they’re barely in the top half of the league themselves.

Couldn’t have asked for much better to start, aside of the limited down time at the beginning.

#106 Jets81, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
  7. RevisIsland18

RevisIsland18 Well-Known Member

he's playing far better than i expected and so happy to write that statement. i think if we had a bit better coaching, i think we should be tied for first place in tthe afc east. also most of his deep balls have been dimes which is nice to see

my quarterback!

8. Mogriffjr

Mogriffjr Well-Known Member

My head almost exploded when he almost had Robby on the go route which is placed damn near perfectly to Robby in the back corner of the end zone. I almost ....well yeah....

9. dmw

dmw Well-Known Member

He's a steal for the Jets and he's more than met my expectations. I'm particularly impressed with the way he makes unorthodox throws. e.g. - with a pass rusher in his face, he throws a perfect 30 yard pass while flat-footed and leaning backwards and thus, avoiding getting planted into the ground. I'm also impressed with everything else about him that others have mentioned. The Browns and Giants will be kicking themselves in a couple of years.

JohnnyJet1222 likes this.
  10. Metstrife

Metstrife Active Member

So far, I really don't see how we can't be happy with him. OK, he had two below average games against two good defences in Cleveland and Jacksonville, but we kind of expected that right? He's 21, shows incredible poise and has that natural cold as ice demeanour on the field that is so impressive. He's made some really impressive throws these last two weeks. His arm is better than people give him credit for.

And of course, he is working with the talent on offense we have at the moment (and the coaching), which is ok, but we're not the Rams are we.

He's not had that rookie blowout several interceptions game yet that may come - it'll be interesting to see how the fans react if and when that happens. But so far, so good.

11. Cman68

Cman68 The Dark Admin, 2018 BEST Darksider Poster

For a rookie working with average talent on the offense, he's done well just to still be upright and injury free. His ints are high but his TD's are higher so there's that. His OC hasn't been for several years and his HC is D-first so he's done well in spite of the handicap. All in all, a bright future is in store for this kid assuming his CS makes the appropriate moves to improve the players around him.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

darnold has had a rough start too. lots of good defenses to face. he really hasn't had any easy sledding at all

Metstrife likes this.
  13. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

I don’t know. Jax is the only great defense he’s faced. The rest are below average, and the fact that they’re below average after facing a rookie QB says something.

It gets tougher from here on out with the Vikings, Bears, and 3 division games in a row.

14. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

DVOA rankings showed him as the 3rd hardest. marriota had it the toughest. forgot who number 2 was

15. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

He’s faced 3 top 10 defenses, and they’re there in part because we had awful games against them. The other 3 teams rank 16th, 18th, and 30th...average to terrible.

Not surprisingly, Sam’s played better against the bad teams.

The Vikings at 20 will be the easiest for a while with 1, 9, and 3 coming up, not to mention Belichick on the tail end this 5 game stretch. This is make or break for the season, and will show a lot about how much Sam has actually developed.

16. JoeWalton

JoeWalton Well-Known Member

Darnold has shown signs of excellence, but still needs work on his accuracy. He seems to be more accurate with the mid-long passes and is having issues with the short passes. I'd like to see the 'Cow on Ice' move the pocket a little more with rollouts (especially within the red zone), and use his athletic ability and size to gain a few more yards scrambling on the ground. Adding this other dimension will certainly improve the Jets Offense within the red zone. Better play recognition will improve Darnold's decision making process (whether to pass, run, throw it away, etc.) and will come with more playing time. Grade: B-

#116 JoeWalton, Oct 16, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    ColoradoContrails likes this.
  17. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Lmfao!! This thread just got soooo interesting!

Posters on here; you do realize that when you comment on this board, someone can always go back and requote those comments, no matter how dumb or ignorant you feel they are today? Lmao

Holy shit! That was hilarious to read

Makes me wonder what kind of dumb shit I've said that I don't agree with today haha

18. LongIslandBlitz

LongIslandBlitz Well-Known Member

He's impoving but he still makes some very bad decisions with the football that he needs to clean up.

HomeoftheJets likes this.
  19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

Rick Mirer.

Jets blew a 17 point lead against Oakland in 1999.

20. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

It's interesting how fast things can change.

After the Cleveland game people were going nuts for Mayfield, down on Darnold. I think that was the week Buffalo demolished the Vikings with Allen at QB.

Fast forward a few weeks Allen is injured and Mayfield has lost two games since. Darnold has gotten better and better through six games he looks like the best QB out of this rookie class.