Sam Darnold after 6 weeks. Did he meet your expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

I really liked this TD. Sam's arm strength might not be at superhuman level, but when Sam rifles one in for a TD like that, you'd easily see the mustard and zip on the ball.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  2. BrowningNagle

BrowningNagle Well-Known Member

He was good yesterday. In some ways he has exceeded my expectations but in other ways he is about what I thought he would be. And that's not a criticism because my expectations were pretty high for him.

I knew he would make mistakes trying to do too much but I didn't think he would be as good as he is in surveying the field.

I thought he would be better in the redzone than he is but I didn't think he would be as effective throwing the football in the middle of the field as he has been.

3. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

great timing and anticipation. it's the stuff i seen darnold do that the other QBs in the draft didn't. that's a tight window throw and pryor turns aorund and gets hit in the chest with the ball between 2 defenders. it doesn't get better then that. darnold doens't wait for him to be open. he knows where he is going and knows where to place it. if he waits for pryor to sit it's picked off

4. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

The kid can play. Whether we got a perennial pro-bowler or not, we still got the right guy for us.

I am extremely interested to see which QB the Giants take and whether that kid pans out.

Brook! likes this.
  5. GasedAndConfused

none of the QBs this year are that good. the top QB this year would likely be ranked behind the top 4 of last year and maybe even behind the top 5 depending on how the scout feels about jackson. I can't see them passing on a QB though

GQMartin likes this.
  6. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Hoping for Dave Brown/Kent Graham ver 2.0. [HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA]

GQMartin likes this.
  7. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

I think this may be the only thing he hasn't yet shown real improvement in. I think it comes down to trusting his OL to give him the extra half-second he needs to step into the throw even when the pocket seems to be collapsing. The great QBs routinely make big plays when it seems like they're about to be sacked by throwing as they're stepping forward in the pocket. Given how much he's progressed in everything else I don't see any reason why he won't improve in this too, especially once he gets a better OL in front of him.

8. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

I think the RZ issue is more due to coaching and play calling than Sam.

9. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

I'd tend to agree. 7 FGs and 2 TDs on offense and Sam only had 5 incompletions... which means we got conservative as hell as soon as we got into the red zone or even on to their side of the field. Minus the end of the first half obviously.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Herbert looks pretty good, better than Allen and Jackson IMO.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  11. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

Expectations confirmed..bound for greatness

In College there was the intercept problem, but I can live with that today if he is dropping dimes and TDs 3 or 4 times a game ..no one is infallible

Is this Namath revisited ? Sure hope so;)

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  12. GasedAndConfused

he looks ok, IDK if it's say better then allen. jackson really depends on how you feel about jackson. mobile Qbs like him are often seen way different by different scouts

13. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

https://www.ganggreennation.com/201...early-career-efficiency-new-york-jets-records

Brook!, NYJFOREVER, GQMartin and 2 others like this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

15. Acad23

Acad23 Well-Known Member

I'm more impressed that the Jets haven't fucked up his development.

Yet.

16. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

Color wrist bands are coming!

17. Dont forget Danny Kanell & Mike maddox!

Whenever my giant buddies are gettin on me im always quick to point out this era of giants football bc not only was it dreadfully bad it was also the most boring game you could possibly watch

18. I havent seen very many “wow” throws but he does have plus movement skills,elite size & rare arm atrength.

Saw more wow throws from Allen w.o anywhere close to Herbert’s surrounding cast at Oregon..what i will say is he has much better footwork

19. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

I didn't think Allen would be a good NFL QB, and nothing he's done with the Bills has changed my mind. So saying Herbert is better than Allen is more about Allen than Herbert.

20. GasedAndConfused

Yeah i haven't gotten majorly into this Qb class and likely won't since the jets don't need a QB but at least form what i've been looking at herbert isn't anywhere near what the giants could have had in darnold which is the main screw up the giants made

LMAO i think he has a chance to be really good. as i said 50/50 he's boom or bust. he's going to need a few years to correct his issues but he does have probably the strongest arm in the NFL and he's big and athletic and tough. he just needs to make better decisions and fix his mechanics so he's more consistent but allen can really make some wow throws, just doens't do it often enough. Allens got crazy talent and his issues are fixable. Still he was my 3rd choice with darnold as my 1st and rosen as my 2nd because i felt rosen was the safest after darnold and was least likely to be a bust out of rosen, baker, allen, and jackson

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.