Tracking Sam Darnold vs Other Rookie QBs

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Falco21, Oct 15, 2018.

1. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Figured I'd start a thread to track his stats compared to the other rookie QBs, considering all are playing right now. I'll update weekly as we go. Gives a good look at how he's doing vs. the other guys!

[​IMG]

#1 Falco21, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018
    rickjet, Brook!, FinnishJET and 19 others like this.
  2. Burnz

Burnz Well-Known Member

He has slowly been gaining traction.One thing is the INT look alarming but seeing him take those chances and responding after they happen have been nice to watch. A little favre esque

donkey, Cman68, boozer32 and 3 others like this.
  3. BroadwayAaron

BroadwayAaron Well-Known Member

Also keep in mind games played.

Sam - 6
    Baker - 2.5
    Rosen - 2 and like an eighth
    Allen - 4.5

So the TDs numbers are skewed accordingly. But that also means the completion percentage and INTs are held to a “higher standard” if you will. I really don’t mind the high interception number right now. One came on a panicked deep ball yesterday, another came on a stopped route by Pryor in the end zone plus a great defensive play, another came on a desperation heave against Jacksonville... it’s not like they are all “yikes” moments.

Either way, I’m very happy with how Sam is playing especially compared to the other guys he was drafted with. For what it’s worth, I think all of them except Allen are going to be very good. I think Allen will be a back up by year four.

Royal Tee, Cman68, Noam and 6 others like this.
  4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You should add “games” to the list, just to give some perspective

5. Falco21

Will do. I didn't realize I forgot them in the table.

Brook! likes this.
  6. tubby

tubby Active Member

You should also add "fumbles lost" to the list to give a better representation of the number of TO's the QB has committed.

7. Falco21

Will add

tubby likes this.
  8. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

All i know, at this point, is i thank the stars the Jets didn't draft Josh Allen.

I was terrified they were going to pick a project QB.

9. BroadwayAaron

Fumbles is a good one to add, especially considering we were made to believe Sam was going to fumble 43 times.

10. Falco21

Added fumbles, fumbles lost, games played, and games started

Brook! likes this.
  11. STARoSCREAM

STARoSCREAM Well-Known Member

I think its nice to not have nerves anytime you see the QB drop back for a pass.

It's nice to, dare i say, even have CONFIDENCE when we are passing?

12. 101GangGreen101

101GangGreen101 2018 Thread of the Year Award Winner

You want to see a rookie in handcuffs? Watch the Cardinals with Josh Rosen, I feel bad for him. Hopefully he gets a new coordinator next year. Thank you Giants! No one else I would rather have then Sam Darnold here with the Jets.

Baker is still overrated, hasn't proved anything to me so far.

13. jetsclaps

jetsclaps Well-Known Member

We'd prob be looking at a team with Brodgewater as the current starter.

Either way I'm a million times happier we have Sam.

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Sam is doing great. Teams have more tape on him than any of the other rookies. The league is adjusting and he's getting better anyway. That's a huge indicator that he has the goods. The playbook keeps expanding and Sam looks completely unfazed.

Rosen has played well. He looks like a pro QB. The Cardinals staff is a mess, particularly McCoy.

If I was a betting man Sam and Josh Rosen are going to be really good. I still have doubts about Mayfield but he definitely has an NFL arm. Allen is in a very tough spot. All of these guys look like they may work out. Sam right now is being handled well by the staff and is on the best trajectory. We may have really lucked out.

Brook!, Cidusii, almbleamal and 5 others like this.
  15. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Here's something else I think is important: I haven't seen that deer in the headlights look that I can recall. Not once. Sam also doesn't seem to get rattled after a poor play or a generally stinky game, holds himself accountable, and doesn't get petulant. He's more ahead of the learning curve than numbers indicate IMO. Anyone remember how Sanchez used to pout like a three year old after a bad performance? Cuz I do. There's just so much to like about Sam Darnold personality-wise and other little things talent-wise that have me sold. I don't like Mayfield's personality, I don't particularly like Rosen's personality, Josh Allen seems like a nice enough guy minus that racist nonsense that he apologized for and chalked up to immaturity but I don't think he makes it very far in the end.

I know being Mr. Nice Guy isn't somehow supposed to matter as long as you produce, but yes please to Mr. Nice Guy that can also produce. I think Sam is the guy for us as long as the Jets don't get him killed. I also think it's a guarantee that he never gets into any off field-nonsense trouble. I just can't see it. At all. It's the first time that I've been genuinely excited for the future as opposed to faking it with wishful thinking and a suppressed feeling of dread. Go Sam, Go Jets!!!

Royal Tee, johnny, twown and 7 others like this.
  16. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

Solid thread.

17. statjeff22

statjeff22 2008 Green Guy "Most Knowledgeable" Award Winner

Yes, and that is more important than fumbles lost, since it is well-established that which team recovers a fumble is pretty much 50/50 luck. Allen averaging about a fumble a game when taking into account how much he's actually played is not a good start for him when added to the expected inaccuracy and interceptions.

18. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

I know some here will disagree with me, but I never was high on Allen and am thankful we didn't take him. So far, it looks like we got the right guy. Darnold has shown more than I could've asked for from a 21 year old and he has room to improve.

19. BroadwayAaron

I couldn't agree with you any more. Allen has Paxton Lynch-esque red flags that were ignored because he's tall and can move... like Paxton Lynch. I think Allen's career path is going to mirror his.

I admittedly wanted Rosen over Darnold the day of the draft when the Browns/Mayfield rumor started, but that was based solely on an "it" factor that I thought Rosen had over Sam. Now I understand why Sam was labeled the best QB in the draft. He has the "it" factor without having to be brash and bold like Rosen. I still think both Rosen and Mayfield are going to be great QBs though.

NCJetsfan, Cidusii, stinkyB and 2 others like this.
  20. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

All good points....and a strong thing for Darnold is he's 'supposed' to learn from his mistakes and not make them again....so far so good. That first pick-6 opening day where he threw across his body to the other side of the field...he hasn't tried something that silly since.

ColoradoContrails likes this.