Sam Darnold after 6 weeks. Did he meet your expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 14, 2018.

1. BudJet

BudJet Well-Known Member

I totally agree.....what I like most is he has been improving each week with his ceiling nowhere in sight. He has definitely lived up to the billing & hype that was put on him during the Draft.

Brook! likes this.
  2. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

Get your point, but wasn't that line referring to Josh Allen? I don't remember his mobility being knocked before the draft, but then again, I'm getting old.

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

I rarely agree with you DWC, but this time you're spot on.

4. Pepsiguy5

Pepsiguy5 Well-Known Member

I think he's actually exceeded my expectations. I was in favor of starting Teddy B for the first few games and bringing Darnold along slowly. Jets have made all the right moves so far. Even having Cousins refuse to take our money has turned out to be a good move. I'm just not sure how all of this could have realistically gone any much better.

Who knows if Sam is going to turn out to be an all time great or whatever but he IS the total package per se. He's got football IQ, obviously has legit leadership ability, mobility, courage/hangs in there, can make all the throws, heavily built strong kid (aka not going to snap in half McCown style) and perhaps best of all is obviously just a great kid.

I guess it remains to be seen if he turns out to be one of the total big time guys that wins the big game and all that but I'm pretty confident that he's going to at least get us INTO a few big games to find out at some point. Gotta get there first.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  5. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  6. joe

joe Well-Known Member

nice recall - who was it that posted that gem?

7. ColoradoContrails

8. HomeoftheJets

He's with Physco desperately avoiding Physco's cow punishment.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Sam is right on track. I thought he'd sit for the beginning of the season so he is further along than I expected. Vikings will be a fun one.

10. I remember that article & speaking up about how much i disagreed w it.Not surprised hes an ourlads guy. Theyre very quirky in their evaluations. If he was being truthful in his evaluations the way he should be & had legit 1st round grades on that many QBs, How could he not think the class was special? Been a long time since 4-5 QBs had legit 1st round grades in a draft class.

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  11. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

12. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

He's exceeded my expectations thus far. That said, I don't know what to expect from him in the Vikings game. But I hope it's progress and another W!

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

13. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

I don't recall the sports writer (espn maybe) but someone wasn't too impressed with Sammy....said he looked like a cow on ice. I THINK it was about Darnold.

joe likes this.
  14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

Don't recall, but I think it was a bit before the draft. Some talking head was comparing the top 5 QBs. and he described Darnold as a cow on ice. hahaha

joe likes this.
  15. GreenInTheBowl

Some of the mistakes he's made are very alarming. Obviously he gets a pass as a rookie but he needs to show us that unlike Sanchez and Smith, he is capable of learning from these mistakes and growing as a player.

My only other concern would be his accuracy outside the pocket, which is essential in today's NFL

Positives:

-His demeanor is impeccable--the sign of a true leader. This will be contagious to the rest of the team

-Accurate when inside the pocket and has shown the ability to throw the ball in tight spots

-His pocket presence is superb and cannot be taught

Overall he seems to be a no-BS type of guy who will do whatever he has to do to improve his play. Have a good feeling about this kid and I foresee a bright future

16. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

He's exceeded my expectations and I thought he was the best QB in the draft and a perennial Pro Bowler. The guy is playing behind a terrible offensive line and he has no weapons. The second best player on offense (Enunwa) is a #3 wide receiver on most of the teams in the league. The Jets primary goal starting now should be to put the best pass blocking offensive line in front of this kid that they can ... and then let him take care of the rest.

17. HomeoftheJets

CBS was the best. They had Allen as the best QB, hated Darnold and Mayfield, and had Rudolph as a first rounder.

18. Zach

Zach Well-Known Member

Jokes aside, I think this game shows Sam has grown a shit ton already.

Look at his targets.

Kearse: 9/10
    Pryor: 5/6 (1 TD)
    Herndon: 2/2 (1 TD)
    Robby: 3/5
    Sterling: 2/2
    Q: 1/1 (Fumble)

It doesn't look like even 3 weeks ago, when he couldn't hit anyone not named Q.

True, this receiving corp lacks a true #1, but with this kid growing, maybe that won't be that big an issue.

P.S. Among the rookie QBs this year, Sam has the highest completion % (59.8), and QBR (83.7).

#58 Zach, Oct 15, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

His accuracy outside the pocket is legitmately his best quality right now.

KurtTheJetsFan likes this.
  20. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Stop with the Enunwa as a 3. He’s a 2 on most teams. Take a look at the teams first.