Who the hell are we??

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Harpua, Oct 14, 2018.

1. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

As a young team led by a young QB and a young safety, we are strikingly inconsistent.

Sure we won today, but at no point did we look like we had the game in hand. We seem to lack the ability to bury a team on both sides of the ball. I’m not sure if it’s the jets fan in me but I never feel like a game is out of reach of us losing it.

We are better than last year with more hope for the future, but this is a frustrating bunch to watch. The talent is obvious as is the glaring mistakes. I find myself wondering are we a talented team that needs experience or a sub par talented bunch over achieving at times and crashing back to earth. WTF Jets...

2. MeanGreenMachine88

MeanGreenMachine88 Well-Known Member

This stream of consciousness really needed it’s own thread

Jets69 likes this.
  3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

This is my opinion, but I feel like you're asking for maybe a little too much from a young football team lead by a 21 year old rookie QB.

This team is very talented. There is talent in all areas defensively and offensively, but burying teams will come with more experience and growth. Sam Darnold is making HUGE strides and is getting better and better each week. He's building a nice relationship with his receiving corps.

Just win. That's all we could ask for. Find a way to win and do it often

BomberJet likes this.
  4. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Enjoy the win, @Harpua! Actually: Enjoy the WINNING STREAK!

5. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

I have felt uneasy watching the Jets play with a lead for over 40 years. It's never easy

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

This is a young team with some talent deficiencies in the positions that are crucial when you are trying to close out a game.

7. Joe Willie White Shoes

Joe Willie White Shoes Well-Known Member

Where is the talent on this team? The talent on this team is average to below average. OL is ordinary (but playing better). The WRs are below average - among the worst in the league. The TEs are also among the worst in the league. The RBs are average at best. The DL is average. The LBs are below average. The secondary is talented, but was missing too many players this weekend.

The team is headed in the right direction, but needs a huge talent infusion over the next two years. The real problem, as we also know, is that the CS is bad. Wins feel good, but is it best for this team to have Bowles and Bates back next season?

TwoHeadedMonster and NYJetsO12 like this.
  8. endydee

endydee Active Member

Going into this season, I was, and still am cautiously optimistic. With a twenty one year old Rookie QB, who we lucked out into be able to draft, showing extreme poise and command in the huddle, it’s a very nice indicator of the Jets immediate future. Whether or not it all comes together this year remains to be seen. It’s a learning process, and chemistry building. To be 3-3, and in the hunt as this team begins to gel, has me intrigued about how far this team can grow in Darnold’s first year under center.

9. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

This team is a solid one that is led by a 21 year old quarterback. When Darnold plays well we win, when he plays poorly we lose. In our 3 wins he has a passer rating of 104 while in our 3 loses he has a passer rating of 54. When Sam goes we go.

10. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I agree with you regarding the OL, TEs, RBs, and DL, but not the WRs. We have some of the best depth in the NFL at WR. We may not have a true #1 WR or a star, but we have a bunch of good
    #2 and #3 types.

Pepsiguy5 likes this.
  11. Falco21

I disagree entirely.

Leonard Williams is an elite talent. Jamal Adams was ranked one of the best safeties last year. Marcus Maye is extremely talented. Avery Williamson is very talented and has shown it week after week.

Before Enunwa was injured he averaged 14+ yards a catch. Robbie Anderson had 900+ yards last year with 7 TDs. Crowell is averaging 6.1 yards a carry with 5 TDs this year. And Sam Darnold currently has the best rating among rookie QBs right now, with an 83.7 rating.

How you could say there is average to below average talent on this team, is ridiculous, in all honesty. Just because things aren't always going the right way and guys make mistakes, does not mean there is a lack of talent.

12. Falco21

And btw, Crowell is the 5th ranked running back in the league right now

13. twown

twown Well-Known Member

You make some good (and encouraging) points.

But if we just lined up all the NFL rosters right now and drafted them, you're saying -- for this year only -- you would take the Jets higher than 17th?

Because if not, then by definition the roster is below average. Which is arguable, but certainly not a "ridiculous" assertion.

14. slimjasi

slimjasi Well-Known Member

My advice? Don't worry about it.

We finally have a 21 year old quarterback with SOOOOO much potential and such a good attitude. Just enjoy this.

15. Falco21

No, I never said that every player on this team is above average in talent. I said, as a whole, this roster is very talented. There are many players on this team that I would take above many other players in the league. Yes.

And that's not a valid argument in my opinion. I think Sam Darnold is VERY talented. That does not mean I would take him over a lot of other guys in this league.

16. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

News Flash : This is the Sam Darnold show...THE ONLY WAY THIS TEAM EVER LOOKS GOOD

WE win and why is that ?? Certainly not by our glorious CS, or a vaunted Defense,the OL or Tooshie Boy Crowell, or the Special Teams...YES Ive seen the takeaways Ive seen some better play from our first rounders on D ...BUT BELIEVE ME ..POINTS is what this league is all about and NOW you got a guy (with mediocre receivers) who can light it up

MY FEAR is the guy will make this punk CS look good...and those fools J&J will be patting themselves on the back for extending this crew

Just ask yourselves..take away SAM and what have ya got??????? The Jets team PRE SD: ie 2 seasons of 5-11 etc etc

Here come the the Vikings and Capt Kirk and they are NOT the 2 Donkies we just played ..even though Luck, sans any good ball catchers, gave us a run for our $ today

..As I posted pre season all iam looking for is some spots of brilliance from our QB and a couple of other players..the wins will be few and far between imo

17. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

We are a team that has problems executing the shotgun.

FJF likes this.
  18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

No one claimed you said such a thing. What you said was that to assert that the talent on the team was average at best was "ridiculous."

Of course we have talented football players. We're an NFL team.

The point was that our aggregate talent compared league-wide is still below the mean, which is probably true and in no way a ridiculous claim.

19. Falco21

I originally stated that there is talent in all areas of this team. I was then replied to asking where the talent was? Claiming that the WR talent is possibly "worst in the league" and that the RB position is "average at best".

My point was that as a whole, this team is performing at a level I'd expect for being such a young football team. But I disagree that there is not talent everywhere on this roster. Is the roster as a whole better than most rosters, no, and I never said it was. But there are many positions on this team that have a lot of talent, including running back and wide receiver which were previously stated as being possibly "worst in the league" and "average at best"

20. DefenseWinsChampionships

We're an up and coming franchise on the rise who's now featuring a franchise quarterback in order to build around for many of years to come along with a franchise on the verge of featuring the NFL's (2nd) most amount of available salary cap space come the offseason as well being a team who's currently right in the thick of the AFC's playoff picture heading into week 7.

That's who the Jets are.

SOJAZ and Linebacker712 like this.