Sam Darnold after 6 weeks. Did he meet your expectations?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Brook!, Oct 14, 2018.

1. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

For a 21 year old, I don't think I could've asked for more. Obviously, he is not a finished product, but he has shown me enough to believe that he can be our FQB for 10+ years. Never had this level of confidence in Sanchez.

2. jetsknicks1

jetsknicks1 Member

Exactly this. It was nice to see him come out and play good games back to back. Let’s keep it rolling.

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  3. Trainer

Trainer Well-Known Member

I think I said it in the game thread, FREAKIN' FEARLESS.
    Now that the playbook is being opened up and he's not limited to half the field, he's getting better and better. The guy has ice in his veins. Impressive at any age, but especially for a 21 year old.

4. When he figures out how to blend his high end pocket play w his high end play on the move/outside pocket its gonna be scary

FJF, Jetsfansince2015, Brook! and 2 others like this.
  5. Longsuffering88

Longsuffering88 Well-Known Member

He has MET my expectations

Just get us our Sean McVeigh or Sean Peyton next year and we should be good for 15 years

This whole Jets organization, team and fans need to do everything to develop Sam. That’s all that matters.

All due respect- No more defensive minded HC’s.

Ask Todd to stay on as DC. Love the guy as DC.

6. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Thank you Browns, and thank you Giants. That is all.

FJF, Jetsfansince2015 and Brook! like this.
  7. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Last week against Denver, I was at my dad's house watching the game with him. Darnold was driving the offense down the field, when he caught Denver substituting late. He rushed to the ball and hiked it, taking a "12 men on the field" against Denver, thus making it a 2nd and 5.

I looked over at my dad, smiling, and said "that's some Tom Brady shit right there".

And this came from a 21 year old rookie.

I've said it since we drafted him and I'll say it again, Sam Darnold has everything you could want in a franchise QB. And so far, he has made me VERY VERY proud

MoWilkBeast, FJF, K'OB and 2 others like this.
  8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I would say Sam is in Line with my expectations, with the caveat that I had extremely high expectations of him.

He was far and away my number 1 QB this draft and I expected him to be viable right away for what ever team drafted him. I never thought we had a shot at him at 3. He has fix several habits so far and shown the ability to lead an offense to success. He’s on pace to be the franchise guy we’ve needed my entire lifetime and I could not be happier

9. seanofthedead

seanofthedead Well-Known Member

Just walked in the door from the game. That was an outstanding performance from a 21 y.o. Rookie QB. That pass to Pryor was a Big Boy pass that I don’t think a few NFL QB’s would chance. Bonus points for him putting his shoulder down and making that tackle on his T.O.

10. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Surpassed my expectations by a lot. Initially, when they drafted him my thought was there's NO WAY he's beating out Josh or Teddy for the job. Sitting and watching this season would be the better route to go for longterm success, or so I thought. This wasn't the Sanchez debacle of him beating out a scrub like Brunell, for the starting job. Sam beat out 2 guys that should have been his ticket to the bench. I love the kid and his game. Top to bottom what he's doing would be amazing for a 21 year old in a second/third rate market - doing it in NY for a team that's been begging for a FQB for what seems like an eternity is almost unbelievable...

Brook!, ColoradoContrails and twown like this.
  11. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

He was my top QB in the draft (Mayfield was second), and this is pretty much what I expected from him. He's still not where we eventually need him to be, but he's showing signs that he can be our franchise QB.

Brook! likes this.
  12. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

13. HomeoftheJets

HomeoftheJets Well-Known Member

Make that bull with ice in his veins. :D

14. Footballgod214

Footballgod214 Well-Known Member

lol yup! more like bull on ice...skates!

jetophile, joe and HomeoftheJets like this.
  15. GQMartin

GQMartin Go 'Cuse

I’m pretty happy with Sam’s progress. Kid has already beaten key conference rivals.

Jets need to get better on the road and in short weeks.

Brook! and ColoradoContrails like this.
  16. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

He is who I thought he was. That is why I was so excited on April 26th. He is picking up the game very quick though. Faster than anyone can expect a 21 year old QB to. So I guess despite my high expectations, he is exceeding them. :)

ColoradoContrails and Brook! like this.
  17. twown

twown Well-Known Member

That's not fair. Name one.

18. Greenday4537

Greenday4537 Well-Known Member

He's about where I expected. He's a young QB, still making a couple mistakes here and there that experience tends to wipe away. But he makes a lot of smart decisions, good reads. Today's play where he faked the screen and nailed Chris Herndon behind the fooled DBs was fantastic.

19. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed that we're only first in the AFC. What happened to the NFL? Low standards. Sigh. He should have at least 20 TD passes by now and only 2-3 interceptions. He's a bum!

;):p LOL Sarcasm off

#39 NCJetsfan, Oct 14, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2018
    Brook! likes this.
  20. DefenseWinsChampionships

We've got ourselves a franchise quarterback. Youngest starting NFL QB of All-Time to start off a season and he's got an arm, accurate and in stride, he's mobile, he's smart, fearless, can lead drives in which result in points, throws TD's and puts up point on the board, runs an offense, a real signal caller, comes up clutch on 3rd downs, great character, not into social media goes to see an ill child in a hospital with his Jets shirt on immediately after being drafted on his draft night; went and celebrated with an awesome kid like a hero. We've got ourselves one. A soon to be great one. Already 3 wins (after only 10 wins combined throughout our previous two seasons) and flashing with multiple TD performances; now it's time to use our draft picks and salary cap space to build our offense around #14 moving forward.

Has he met my expectations? I never even ever expected for us to draft him to begin with; I'm thankful every time i see this kid under center.