If Saquon Barkley is as good as advertised is it a stretch to say the Giants could have

Discussion in 'National Football League' started by WarriorRB28, Aug 4, 2018.

1. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

Builds character

NY Jets68 and RPOZ51 like this.
  2. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

I thought about the same thing. You have a point there.

3. NYJetsO12

NYJetsO12 Well-Known Member

My 2 kids are Giant fans from grandfather being one..they both were shaking their heads Gettleman passed over Sam and now are green with envy..

Seems to me Gettleman needed to make a splash as new GM before his health gets any worse and impress the owners with a SB run.This will be Elis last hurrah. On paper and with Schermer they are ready to do it..Saquon has to be the difference maker for them and they know it

Giants loaded for bear and could challenge Phil if Barkley is complete package

4. DefenseWinsChampionships

I was a huge Barkley fan not only pre-draft but before the 2017 NCAA season was even under way. I absolutely fell in love with his RB ability back in 2016.

There were only two players I wanted throughout all of NCAA's 2017 season. Sam Darnold and Saqon Barkley.

I just never imagined that we'd have a chance at Darnold unless picking 1st overall, so I pushed hard for Barkley dating back to day one.

I find it pretty neat how my two favorite college prospects heading into the 2017 NCAA season ended up going back-to-back @ 2-3. To the Giants and Jets too.

I seen zero chance @ Sam Darnold so as a football fan I caught myself pushing hard for Barkley and would truthfully take him over Mayfield, Rosen and Allen. Still to this day too. No question.

He's a 3 down-every down back. Has outstanding field vision with patience behind the L.O.S. Can pass protect and catch out of the backfield with slot receiver route running abilities. Has the greatest combination of speed & power that I've seen since either Adrian Peterson or possibly Bo Jackson. Very rare talent.

#2 overall for a reason and that's because when on a football field he's way more than "just a RB"; this kid is an offensive nightmare waiting to happen and an all around offensive playmaker within the form of a game changing game breaker.

Barkley & Odell will be an insane duo for Eli Manning to work with.

With that said. It would be nuts to see Sam Darnold become the next Peyton Manning/Tom Brady/Aaron Rodgers/Drew Brees type of NFL Franchise QB as the face of NYC all while the Giants struggle for the next 10+ years on finding their next Franchise QB after Eli.

Just knowing that they passed on Sam Darnold would be absolutely awesome. Wishful thinking.

Only thing that would kill NYG fans more than knowing Sam Darnold reached top 5 QB status, is if they see Sam Darnold one day have Odell Beckham Jr as his #1 WR option. In Green and White. As a Jet too.

That.

Would be epic.

#24 DefenseWinsChampionships, Aug 6, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 6, 2018
  5. Sam Hammer

Sam Hammer Well-Known Member

Gettleman has seemed good so far. I only dream that the Jets can have a draft as good as that next year.

I think passing on early QB was the right move for them. They have Webb developing and the guy they drafted. Drafting an early QB can be a big gamble, Barkley was pretty much a sure thing. Would it be worth drafting Sam if he sits 2 years and has no effect on the team? Then after that he could still be a bust and become a wasted pick.

IMO, 90% of the problems last year were not on Eli Manning.

6. stinkyB

stinkyB 2009 Best Avatar Award Winner

I started mowing the lawn when I was 9.... when I was 11 I was mowing 2 other lawns in the neighborhood

7. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

No. The Rams and the Eagles are a much, much more complete team. Both have lights out defenses and solid OLs. Cowboys could even be better than the Aints. Matter of fact, the more I think about it the more I wonder why I should give two shits about the Giants. Which I don't, and really do not wish them well. That ownership has been shitting on the Jets since day one.

8. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

I don't think they will be great at all. medicore team. they will do better then last year but still look like a 9 win max team but more likely a 6-8 win team. Eli hasn't been good in years and isn't going to be better all of a sudden and even at his best was just an average QB. their o-line is better but still not great. ODB is back but they have shit for WR after him. on the defense side their secondary is still pretty weak outside of jenkins and collins. their LBers are below average and their d-line/pass rush isn't going to be great with JPP gone and teams will focus on vernon. I expect them to be middle of the pack in every stat and record wise

9. dawinner127

dawinner127 Well-Known Member

This aged well.

It is so funny talking to Giants fans saying how they are still happy with the Barkley pick because he has been magnificent - which he has, but that 1-5 record goes to show you it doesn't matter. Then their rebuttal is Darnold looks subpar, average at best. Absolutely hysterical stuff.

jetophile, NYJ79, NYJetsO12 and 2 others like this.
  10. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Any team with ODB will never amount to anything.

11. dawinner127

Eli had a QBR of 9 when he wasn’t pressured vs the Eagles. He had a QBR of 0.7 when pressured. Enough about the OL being bad.

12. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

It doesn’t help that they switched defensive scheme to 3-4 from 4-3. They have personnel for a 4-3, sometimes I wonder why the coaches try to reinvent the wheel.

Giants have given up 127 rushing yards average. They give up on average 28 points a game.

That is just insane, no team can sustain that type of poor performance from the defense unless they have a juggernaut offense.

FJF likes this.
  13. dawinner127

They should have the 2nd coming of the Greatest Show on Turf. I mean shit, Beckham and Shepard are like Isaac Bruce and Torry Holt. Barkley is Faulk and Eli is Warner. It's a shame they aren't scoring 35+ a game, really.

FJF and Red Menace like this.
  14. Red Menace

I don’t have an answer for why they aren’t scoring with the weapons they have. Oline seems to be doing enough for Saquan to run well.

15. dawinner127

I was just being sarcastic. I don't really understand it either. According to football outsiders OL metrics - before Thursday the Gmen ranked 23rd in pass pro, which means there are 9 teams ranked worse than them - including the Jets, but we are averaging 5.1 more PPG than them.

EDIT - Could you imagine if Brady or Rodgers had weapons like Beckham, Engram, Shepard, and Barkley? Jesus.

Red Menace likes this.
  16. Red Menace

My bad, I missed it, if Rodgers had those type of weapons they would be tied with Rams for best record and offense in the league. Would make for one hell of a championship game.

dawinner127 likes this.
  17. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

Wow! Move over Nostradamus. I just got goose bumps reading that.

K'OB and dawinner127 like this.
  18. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

[​IMG]
    STOP! Beckham is a fucking fruitcake. Isaac Bruce was a much better professional and a KILLER during WINNING TIME. Odell acts like a clown on the sidelines. Even Holt from his days at NC State on through the Rams days was better than anything the Giants have after Beckham. The Rams even had Ricky Proehl and Az-Zahir Hakim in addition to those two at the height of GSOT. I'd be remiss if I didn't mention my boy Roland Williams at tight end. :D GSOT was special....the Giants are just special if you know what I mean.

19. forevercursed

forevercursed Well-Known Member

Just goes to show the impact of Barkley. He's doing whatever he's doing and the Giants still can't win and have no future at QB and a shit coach and a shit D and a shit pass blocking line.

Crowell may end up outrushing him this year Crowell is an UNDRAFTED FREE AGENT

The Crowell/Powell rotation will end up equaling if not exceeding Barkleys production.

20. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Hi-sterical thread.

stinkyB likes this.