How/Why did you become a Jets fan?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Oct 8, 2018.

1. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Confused. Parcells was long gone from the Jets by 2007.

2. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

I'd just like to see him acknowledge which Bears forum he uses and under which username, so we can see how frequently he creates threads over there on a daily basis. He's already stated that BuddyRyan46 at ChiCitySports wasn't him. I find that tough to swallow. Lol

Red Menace likes this.
  3. ColoradoContrails

ColoradoContrails Well-Known Member

And also odd they he supposedly joined this forum in 2005 and yet said he didn't even begin following football until 2007.o_O

NY Jets68 likes this.
  4. LeonNYJ

LeonNYJ Well-Known Member

Maybe they meant 1997 and instead wrote 2007? Although Parcells was coach in the 1997 season.

5. JackBower

JackBower Well-Known Member

My Dad said he was a Jets fan.. i got all my fandoms, minus the Celtics because he doesnt watch basketball, from him.

Also loved the color green as a kid.

As i got older i realized he doesn't watch football either, but im still totally hooked on our Jets.

Jedi mind tricks and westiedog1 like this.
  6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

Yeah, I noticed that. Maybe he joined because he wanted to be close to Schillinger. They seem to know each other.

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  7. macbk

macbk Well-Known Member

My dad was a Jets fan since his childhood, had season tix at Shea and would walk to the games.

I simply followed his path.

8. Jetsfansince2015

Because no other islander I know likes them and I get them all to myself! Along with you guys of course

9. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Maybe for him time moves backwards. If so, he could look forward (or backward) to celebrating a Jets Super Bowl in another 27 years. That's more than we "time moving forward" people can look forward to.

NCJetsfan likes this.
  10. Snatch Catch

Snatch Catch Well-Known Member

I grew up in the Meadowlands, less than 2 miles from Giants Stadium - you could actually see it from our deck. Neither of my parents was a sports fan, but somehow I was a diehard for our local teams from a really young age. Also, in our neighborhood a lot of people had season tickets to either the Jets or Giants, and whenever they had an extra ticket my parents would let me go to the games with them. Because of this I grew up a fan of BOTH the Giants and Jets - I had no family history making me choose a side AND I got to go to both teams' games for free with families who were season ticket holders for the team playing.

When I got to college halfway across the country in a football-crazed region my new friends found out that I liked both the Giants and Jets, and they demanded that I choose a side - the argument was the equivalent of, "that's not natural, dude." Despite trying to defend it with growing up in the shadow of the stadium going to both teams' games, I agreed with them deep down. So, in the mid 90's I chose the Jets for good. Despite having amazing memories of the two Giants Super Bowls, the unreal Big Blue Wrecking Crew defense, and fun guys to watch play like Joe Morris and Stephen Baker, something in me was more compelled by my memories of the Jets of KOB, Freeman, and Toon. Above all else, I was, and still am mystified by my favorite player of all-time, Wesley Walker.

And for whatever reason, the play I remember fondly above all else in all the games I saw was a Jo-Jo Townsell KR for a TD in a blowout loss against the Steelers. I was probably 8 years old, and inexplicably a faint trace of the awesomeness I felt at the time has stayed with me since - even though I've seen many bigger and more impactful live sports moments in the decades that followed.

So I actually consciously chose this path as little kid, and then voluntarily went into full cult mode as a teen. o_O

11. playtowinthegame

Or perhaps he joined to be closer to Chief Crazyhorse.

12. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

LOL Did I strike a nerve? There's no reason why he would have joined to be close to me as I didn't know him and haven't been obsessed with him like you.

13. playtowinthegame

The only thing you're striking is your keyboard, Chief.

14. LogeSection2RowJ

LogeSection2RowJ Well-Known Member

The Miracle Mets got me interested in sports since my father and older brother were not. I learned to read in '68/'69. Once I learned to read I DEVOURED all the books out at the time about the Miracle Mets, Broadway Joe's guarantee, and the Jets upsetting the Colts. It was magical to me and Shea Stadium was the center of the entire sports universe. (As was Madison Square Garden to a lesser degree.) Not having family pressure to follow down a Yankees/ Giants path, it was an easy choice.

The '72 Namath/ Unitas shootout in Baltimore cemented my love of Jets football. I remember watching the entire game on the old family B&W console and rushing outside with a football to unleash bombs in the street.

15. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

This one is easy, Joe Willie Namath did it for me. Everyone in the league wore black shoes, Joe wore white. No crewcut, longer hair. A true rebel in a boring NFL.

16. Dierking

Dierking Well-Known Member

two out of three ain't bad

17. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

The year was 1982, the channel was 4, the place was my parents back room. At 6pm they showed this weird sport. I was 8 years old and had no idea what was going on. But it was better than Songs of Praise (look it up).

They had a featured game and a round up...I can only guess the Jets won and as the only team in green (I suppose the Eagles were in white), I thought that'll do for me.

I remember staying up late listening to US Forces radio right at the end of the dial (a defeat to the Cheifs remains in the mind for some reason), or waiting until Tuesday or Wednesday for the result in the papers... usually a defeat... The highlights show would show me Ken O'Brien, Al Toon, Freeman McNeil, Wesley Walker, or Mark Gastineau and Joe Klecko. They were my team.

I was 8 in 1982, how long could I possibly have to wait for a super bowl? One more year as always, it seems.

Love the upstart nature of the Jets. Anti-establishment, blue collar. I remember discovering Joe Willie and the SB3 season years later, our superbowl

Jedi mind tricks and Brook! like this.
  18. donkey

donkey Well-Known Member

Brook! likes this.
  19. RobA

RobA 2005-2007 TGG.com Most Optimistic Award Winner

I was born into a family where my Dad was a Jet fan, but my older brothers were bandwagon fans (one a Cowboys fan, the other a Bills fan--late 80s/early 90s). They went on to stick with their teams forever, but I wanted to stay loyal to the family team even though I was always told that they "stink" on Sundays growing up. I still remember when my dad told me "they could win this one!!" in a game against Arizona in 1996 (one of my earliest positive Jet game memories). Keyshawn caught a long TD pass in that game. That's about all I remember, besides how happy my Dad was. Things picked up for awhile after that.

Jedi mind tricks likes this.
  20. Brook!

Brook! Soft Admin...2018 Friendliest Member Award Winner

Dude. Stop. Not up to you to label people troll. Report a post if you want mods to look st but don’t harass people.