Is anyone gonna give them credit?... Some O-Line Luv.

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by Royal Tee, Sep 10, 2018.

1. Royal Tee

Royal Tee Girls juss wanna have fun

BacktoQueens, Harpua and NCJetsfan like this.
  2. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

PS. Rumors are that the Rams are ready to depart with OL Jamon Brown, full time starter last year. Should Jets look at him for up grade?

NCJetsfan and Royal Tee like this.
  3. Royal Tee

4. Royal Tee

"After a stellar performance vs. the Broncos, NFL analyst Shaun O'Hara gives the Jets O-Line of the Week"

FJF likes this.
  5. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

I'm still shocked that they pulled this game off and I'm not more confident in them moving forward. I need to see more of this before I'm fully on board with what has been a sub par line ofr years. I want them to prove me wrong, but I still don't think we have the talent there to succeed every week in the NFL.

6. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

The thing to look at from that clip is the centre giving up the number 95 to go after the one winters levels but if you look in the background 95 has a shot at darnald knee height, Long needs to take care of his 1st target before moving on imo

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

I've been very hard on this O-line for a very long time, so if they can sustain this level of play, I'll be thrilled to eat some crow.
    Even if they can't sustain it, I think props are in order for OL Coach/Running Game Coordinator Rick Dennison. Maybe this guy is worth considering for a promotion down the line?

8. Harpua

Harpua Well-Known Member

Its a zone blocking scheme, 95 was leaving Long's area and needed to be passed off to Carp, who was not even glancing over despite having no one to engage himself. His eye picks up 56 who motioned over before stunting to the inside while 95 is stunting to Carp's gap. Long actually did what he was supposed to in this play. Winter's, with no one entering his zone of responsibility slides over to help with the stunting LBer, Carp on the other hand keyed his eyes too long on the LBer and did not pick up on the stunt coming his way. He needs to be more aware of the play around him. Its why he struggles in this type of scheme and thrives in man blocking. Some guys have the physical tools but can't processes the game fast enough and I think Carp is that to a tee.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  9. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I'm no OL expert, but imo Long recognized a stunt. Long's responsibility was to hit #95, move him to the left, hand him off to Carpenter, then move back to his right to take care of the stunt. Long did hit him (#95) and ride him to the left, where he handed him off to Carpenter, then he moved to help Winters pick up the stunt. I thought it was well-handled by Long. Carpenter is the one who allowed 95 to knife through. Carpenter wasn't really paying attention to the stunt, was too far back on his heels and was either knocked or leaned to his left and lost the leverage needed to handle #95.

ColoradoContrails and Harpua like this.
  10. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

Cant argue that the line played pretty damn well last week but it is only 1 game and Darnold has taken some really good licks this year

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  11. FinnishJET

FinnishJET 2023 TGG Double FF Champion

That's the thing with the lines IMO, it takes more than just the talent of the individuals. The linemen needs to work as a unit, they need to cover for others, they need to help each other, they need to know one another, scheme is a big part of that, coaching plays the part. Just maybe five games in to the season, our OL started to gel together, to become a cohesive unit that makes them good as a unit, not individuals. Hopefully they can build on the Broncos game and continue to develop and command the LOS against the Colts. If they do and Sam has time to throw it will open up the run game as it did against the Broncos.

NCJetsfan and ColoradoContrails like this.
  12. NCJetsfan

Exactly! That's why I thought it ridiculous that some posters claimed that OLs didn't need to "gel" and that they wouldn't be any better at the end of the season than they were at the beginning. IMO that shows a total lack of understanding about how long it can take for an OL to form that cohesion, to work as a unit, to know exactly what their linemates are going to do in each situation, and for the coaches to work on fix and issues. During OTAs, they're just "getting acquainted" with new OL teammates, the CS experiments with different combinations of players, they're competing for spots, and they're learning the offense. With as little time as they can practice in pads now, and as little time as they play in preseason games, most OLs aren't ready when the season begins. Experienced units where there were no changes in personnel, blocking scheme, or plays will fare better than others, but even they can struggle early in the season.

13. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

FWIW the jets o-line is currently top 5 in run blocking (most yards per attempt before contact of the RB) and average for sacks allowed (ranked 16 out of 32 teams dead middle) so they aren't playing all that bad by any means

14. Leicester Jet

Leicester Jet Well-Known Member

If we are after a C/OG in the 3rd round, could we get Ross Pierschbacher - the current Bama Centre? He's moved to Centre this year but previously played at OG and that sort of position flexiblity would be a great help to our O/L.

https://247sports.com/Player/Ross-Pierschbacher-13893/

ColoradoContrails and NCJetsfan like this.
  15. NCJetsfan

Possibly. It would just depend upon where he is rated and which other teams had needs on the OL and/or liked him

16. Royal Tee

He passed him off to Carpenter.

17. K'OB

K'OB 2021 TGG Fantasy Football Champ

You're right he did, so it was a piss poor effort by Carpenter then as he just sailed right by him.

Royal Tee likes this.