20 Killed in Limo Crash in Schoharie, NY

Discussion in 'BS Forum' started by jetophile, Oct 9, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/limo-c...reck-in-new-york-state-police-say-2018-10-07/

What the frig. I dated a guy in college who was from Schoharie ("I'm sure you've never heard of it"), and he said there was nothing there but cows. He painted a lot of bucolic cow paintings with a modern twist, and they were actually really, really good. Anyway, the owner of this awful limo co. is in Pakistan. He will pay out some damages - or not - and then open up shop again under a different name, I'm sure.

The modified 'limo' failed inspection and the driver didn't have the necessary license. Those poor people. Two pedestrians killed as well. I'm deducing that what happened is that almost everyone in the limo body-slammed each other to death on impact. Horrific.

2. Since1969

Since1969 Well-Known Member

Don't be too sure. I'd look for the N.Y. Attorney General to try to pursue involuntary manslaughter charges against the company owner. The idea is that by putting an unsafe limo on the road and putting an unqualified driver behind the wheel, he recklessly caused the deaths of those 20 victims. To do that, the Attorney General will have to show that : (1) the owner knew the limo had failed inspection and/or the driver was not licensed to drive a limo; and (2) the defects that caused the limo to fail inspection and/or the driver's lack of qualifications actually caused the accident. Stay tuned.

The discussion above pertains to potential criminal charges. The estates of the victims will undoubtedly pursue lawsuits against this company and the owner. The burden of proof is lighter than in a criminal case, but the issue may be whether he and his company have insurance or assets to go after or whether he and his company are judgment-proof.

3. jetophile

Oh, they're pursuing charges alright; but all you need to know is that the owner is in Pakistan. Good luck with that, because he probably won't show one hair on his ass. Like I said, damages will be paid - or not - and another business will be opened under a different name. I read in a comment section in another article from someone who is familiar with the area saying the driver was most likely lost and it made no sense for him to be driving from where they were to the brewery they were going to. He blew a Stop sign and hit a parked SUV and subsequently mowed down two other people. Either he fell asleep, was over-worked, or under the influence. I guess we'll find out about that last one.

I hate arguing with lawyers, lol. I rarely win; but I'm gonna take a shot in the dark that both 1 & 2 will prove, er, provable. Unless some shill comes up with Pakistanienza as a defense. Affluenza, fukk that guy, haha. Long gone are the days of Clarence Darrow.

4. Since1969

Don't despair. The U.S. has an extradition treaty with Pakistan, and this is the kind of high-notoriety case that should cause the State Department to lean very heavily on the Pakistani government. The U.S. government will probably not pursue extradition, however, until (or unless) the N.Y. authorities hand up an indictment. We'll see what happens. Of course, if this guy is politically connected in Pakistan, all bets are off.

5. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Keep in mind the owner of the limo company was an FBI informant, that could be his get out of jail free card

6. Since1969

Possibly, but the mere fact that this is public means his value as an informant is in the past. Generally, acting as an informant may give you a pass for past criminal conduct but it usually won't help you with serious future criminal conduct. We'll just have to wait and see.

7. jetophile

Wait, what? I didn't read/hear that. That's crazy.

8. Since1969

9. jetophile

Holy Crap! I knew that guy's name looked familiar! Hussain was the guy the FBI used in "The Newburgh Four" case! They essentially paid him big money to entrap and groom and cajole those guys into terrorist acts (Hussain was fighting deportation for fraud), which IMO they never would have engaged in if they'd been left alone. While technically 'guilty' because they did attempt to go through with it, those guys had no connections to anyone or anything - just to Hussain. They weren't model citizens by any means, but poor and looking for a way out. The FBI planted Hussain in a local mosque near me and it went from there. One of the guys is on the lower end of the intelligence spectrum. I highly recommend the HBO documentary 'The Newburgh Sting'. It's very compelling. People always jump to the conclusion that you're paranoid, but I have a very healthy distrust of the government, thanks.

EDIT: Link.
    https://nypost.com/2014/07/20/newburgh-four-terrorism-case-was-fbi-entrapment-hbo-film/

EDIT 2: I don't know if Hussain was naturalized or given U.S. citizenship after his 'help' with the 'sting' (how about a set up), but he's a squirrelly dirtbag.

#9 jetophile, Oct 10, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2018
  10. The Waterboy

The Waterboy Well-Known Member

Another reason not to like Newburgh, Soxxx hometown

FJF likes this.
  11. jetophile

Update: Shahed Hussain, who is still in Pakistan, has not been arrested (yet?). His son, Nauman Hussain, has. Arrested during a routine traffic stop? They were probably looking for him. Probably headed towards the Albany airport? Article says he wasn't trying to flee, but who is to say. His atty: "I knew that this day was going to come. I knew they were going to be charged criminally because somebody needs to point a finger." Somebody needs to point a finger, lol, 20 people are dead through blatant negligence. This sentence says 'they', so either that was a slip of the tongue or the elder Hussain is in the process of being charged.

https://www.democratandchronicle.co...o-deadly-crash-taken-into-custody/1589462002/