Studs and Duds: week 5 vs Den

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by GasedAndConfused, Oct 8, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

Studs

Bowles - his playcalling on defense was awesome. we pretty much shut down Denver all game long. they scored 16 but one TD was in garbage time playing a prevent and one was because of a rare powell fumble that gave them the ball at the 20 and other then those 2 scores just a FG.

adams - held a players only meeting friday for the defense and we came out fired up. he the leader of this defense.

williamson - called the plays on defense and communication was much better this week. nothing came easy to denver. was also a force in the run game with 9 tackles leading the team

williams - credited with 2 sacks but it was 1 solo sack and 2 half sacks. had pressure on the QB all game and dominated at the line of scrimage.

attachou - was signed as a situational pass rusher and had a sack and FF late in the game.

Defense as a whole - 16 points allowed. 4 sacks, 1 INT

O-line - paved the way to over 300 yards rushing and darnold was only sacked once. and that is against a defense that has von miller and chubb.

Darnold - the numbers didn't look great as he only threw 22 times and had under 200 yards but he hit 3 big TDs 2 to anderson and 1 to pryor and only had 1 INT on a tipped ball.

Anderson - about time we get him involved. had a nice catch on 2nd and 13 to make it 3rd and 1 on an out route and then his other 2 catches were long TDs of 76 and 35 yards. finished with 3 catches for 123 yards and 2 TDs. no other WR had more then 20

Pryor - i've been hard on him so far and he only had 1 catch but it was an amazing 1 handed 20 yard TD catch on 3rd down.

Bilal Powell - 20 carries for 99 yards. solid game. he did have an early fumble but it's only the 3rd lost fumble of his career so he gets a pass

Andre Roberts - huge spark in the return game including a 51 yarder.

Marcus Maye - huge 103 yard INT for the last play of the game where he ran out of gas at the end and got tackled at the 1

Crowell - last but not least. crowell looked amazing out there juking out tacklers and running hard. finished the game with a new jets record of 219 yards rushing on 15 carries for a 14.6 avg and 1 TD. he had 2 runs of over 50 yards including a 77 yard TD. should be the NFL ground player of the week if not the NFL offensive player of the week. first 200 yard rushing game this year in the NFL

Duds

Cannon - almost muffed a punt on a fair catch filling in for roberts who banged up his elbow

Enunwa - had a rough game. 0 catches on 5 targets and at least 3 drops.

Long - had a bunch of terrible snaps to darnold

Refs - allowed both enunwa and kearse to be pass interfered with blatantly in the end zone that could have been 2 TDs. i'm not a fan of penalties but blatantly obvious ones like that need to be called.

#1 GasedAndConfused, Oct 8, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2018
  2. JerzeJets

JerzeJets Active Member

Great take

Id like to throw in Herndon as an honorable mention for studs category. He came up with some huge blocks that allowed our run game to be what it was yesterday. I thought he played a pivotal role in what we were able to achieve.

3. Falco21

Falco21 Well-Known Member

Enunwa had a hard cast on a finger under his glove. No surprise he couldn't catch the ball.

At one point in the game, the announcer said he shook his hand before the game and noticed it immediately.

4. Jets81

Jets81 Well-Known Member

You forgot Spencer long and his crappy snaps. Happening once is bad enough, but twice is not good at all.

5. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

Definitely Spencer Long.

I would replace the refs with Darron Lee, once again he was invisible. Made impact plays in first game of the year.

Talk about milk carton candidate, he’s probably stuck in the pocket of an offensive lineman. He’s a compiler, he will end up with 60 solo tackles and 20 assists making it seem like he has produced more than what he has.

When guys like Mayes and Adams are more of a presence on the field than your ILB it’s pretty telling.

6. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

It was 3 times

7. GasedAndConfused

he said there was something there. not a hard cast but it looked to be padding or a brace. If he couldn't catch a ball he shouldn't have been out there to be honest

papapump, ukjetsfan and Mr mittens like this.
  8. GasedAndConfused

yes i did. adding him now

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  9. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Lee did a fantastic job yesterday and honestly should be an honorable mention for studs. While normally getting a lot of flack over his pass coverage duties he did a great job yesterday,
    If I'm correct he was only targeted once during his coverage duties which result in an incomplete pass to DT in which Lee had him manhandled. Take into consideration he was in pass coverage probably
    80% of his snaps yesterday these are great numbers for him.

Lee has come a long way and has improved greatly he's going to be a staple of our future defense.

10. GasedAndConfused

i still don't get the lee hate here but we seem to always hate on players for no reason. I just don't get it

Mogriffjr, NYJFOREVER and JdotGriff like this.
  11. JdotGriff

JdotGriff Well-Known Member

Lee is still young and has gotten better every year. While he still hasn't had a "break out" crazy statted year, he just keeps getting better and is honestly turning into a very well balanced LB.

Mr mittens and GasedAndConfused like this.
  12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Avery Williamson is the most underrated Jet. He has been a huge upgrade over Demario Davis. Love his attitude and leadership too.

papapump, BudJet, tiger8mush and 8 others like this.
  13. Red Menace

Red Menace Well-Known Member

I thought he was going to be a step back and must admit I was wrong. He has done an exceptional job in place of Davis.

14. NYJFOREVER

NYJFOREVER Well-Known Member

They hated him when he played poorly and can't take the blinders off to realize Lee is turning the corner this year and is turning into a solid player for us.

GasedAndConfused likes this.
  15. GasedAndConfused

i wouldn't say he ever played poorly. he looked like a rookie as rookie. that's to be expected. he overran plays, didn't stay in his gaps. got beat in coverage like ever LBer in the NFL does. it was mostly mental. he seems to have gotten that fixed now and is making big plays for us and adjusting to the speed of them. but then again people here hate williams. what we seen yesterday is what this team is capable of that mac built and that bowles coached and we are still young with room to improve cap wise. we are in a good position. bates also seemed to look at alot better

Jetsfansince2015 and NYJFOREVER like this.
  16. Jetsfansince2015

Studs:

Robby Anderson - phenomenal game. Love Enunwa but his injury may have been the catalyst to the great offensive play we saw yesterday and perhaps the rest of the season.

Isaiah Crowell - Nothing need be said about his performance.

Duds:

Spencer Long - made me so sick with his shitty snaps... especially the drive where SD14 got sacked because of the snap and then we missed a damn easy FG and came away with ZERO points.

Darron Lee - I’m sorry guys. But my opinion is that he won’t be the great player we’re hoping him to be. This is what...yr 3? He’s constantly fooled by misdirections, playactions, and can never get off blocks. One play in particular Denver ran a playaction on 3rd down and he gets sucked up towards the LOS and just stays there instead of getting depth and at least cover the middle of the field where they completed a pass for a 1st down. He’s got good speed for a LB, but his football IQ and instincts are very low. Drafted in the 1st round and after 3 years it should be very clear and decisive whether or not he’s going to be a game changer for us.

17. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

Great studs and duds post! I always enjoy reading your posts.

18. twown

twown Well-Known Member

If you've never seen a football turn into a greased-up house cat on the way to the vet, you've never watched Trenton Cannon.

19. GasedAndConfused

thanks!

LMAO I still have no idea how it just popped out with nobody touching it

Jetsfansince2015 likes this.
  20. Br4d

Br4d 2018 Weeb Ewbank Award

ROFL!

I'm sending you the bill for my Pepsi-covered display.