Who was your MOST DISAPPOINTING JETS COACH?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Oct 1, 2018.

1. jetophile

jetophile Bruce Coslet's Daughter

Fat Parcells. Rick Mirer should only have been drinking Cuba Libre's in Havana and never seen or heard from again.

Peebag likes this.
  2. westiedog1

westiedog1 Well-Known Member

Pete Carroll. Thought the team was consistently underperforming with Coslet. Carroll had success as the D coordinator so, one would logically assume that it wouldn't take much to improve on 8-8 with the team he inherited. Instead, he went 6-10.

3. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Let me preface this by saying that I loved Pennington. His heart, passion, drive (not to mention my use of synonyms for basically saying the same thing different ways...), but also his football IQ and accuracy made him a fun QB to watch.

The problem was that his mediocre arm strength was always used against him in the playoffs. I might be mistaken, but I am fairly certain that in every playoff loss he had his arm strength was a major factor. I recall one time in particular when a team (can’t recall which) simply covered short routes and stacked against the run because he couldn’t throw deep enough to stretch the defense. Granted, it took a talented and fast defense to pull that off against him, but that’s what you were going to get in the playoffs.

Anyway, I bring this up because as much as I loved CP, I tend to think this was what would have held him back from a SB on most any team. Now you might be right about the Jets having managed an awesome regular season record if CP had been the starting QB, but I can’t envision CP taking those teams all the way as much as I want to.

stinkyB likes this.
  4. mr nyjet

mr nyjet Well-Known Member

ah, yes! old noodle arm. both hoodie and the raiders showed that if you load the box and stack the middle of the field in the secondary, he did not have the arm to throw the sides.

bait him into doing just that meant easy picks. great guy, lousy arm.

5. LAJet

LAJet Well-Known Member

Without a doubt the most disappointing coach ever for the Jets was Bill Billicheat.

6. NCJetsfan

NCJetsfan Well-Known Member

I don't blame Belicheat for stealing old man Hess' money. I wish I could have taken the old bastard for a million.

7. NoodleArm

NoodleArm Well-Known Member

Parcels is the only right answer for me.

Coaches like Bowles, Ryan, Mangini, Edwards, they were all flawed to start with. None of their competence, even excellence, at coordinator positions ever translated to sustained success in the head coach position. But the Tuna was different. HOF resume. All the skills necessary to build a franchise. The perfect coach for any team that needs a rebuild.

Yet, what did we have to show for it? 1998 AFC Championship game? It's not that impressive. Even Ryan, a considerably more flawed coach, was able to take the Jets to two AFC championship games. And that was with Sanchez at QB. Jesus, what a waste.

I'm old, but not old enough to remember the circumstances under which the Tuna left. I can't help but feel that he left with the job less than half done. If he stays, who knows what would happen with the division. Maybe Pennington stays healthy and Brady never rises. Maybe Bellichicken stays and takes over after Parcels retires. Who the hell knows. What I do know is that since Ewbak, Parcels was/is the least flawed head coach of the Jets. And that's why his tenure was so disappointing.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

8. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

I keep thinking about how I want to answer this thread and the thing that keeps popping into my head is ‘who is the one NY Jets coach that exceeded my expectations’?

Rich Kotite

My stepfather is an Eagles fan so I knew enough to expect him to be awful. However, he absolutely exceeded my expectations in every way in his level of awfulness.

Yep, Rich Kotite definitely exceeded my expectations.

As for most disappointing? Bellicheck. I had hoped he would finish was Parcells had started. He did, but just not with the Jets.

Fun fact: the ancient Persians had a torture whereby they would flay off your skin from the neck down and the next dip the unfortunate soul in a vat of salt. When they finally passed out from the screaming and agony they would be taken out, revived, and dipped again. This would go on until the person looked like a slug that someone’s had poured salt on and the person died.

I don’t know why, but whenever I think about Bill Bellicheck it reminds me about that those ancient Persians and this heinous, grisly method for torturing and killing. I’ve never been able to figure out why..... :mad:

9. boozer32

boozer32 Well-Known Member

playtowinthegame likes this.
  10. James Hasty

James Hasty Well-Known Member

This one is far too easy to answer:

1. Bill Belichick was lined up as our successor to Bill Parcells only to resign on his first day. The man was named as head coach twice yet never served as head coach in a game.

2. Rich Kotite was given a big pat on the back by our owner when hired only to have two of the worst seasons in Jet history. If you want to know why we never hire offensive minded coaches anymore this is the guy to blame.

boozer32 likes this.
  11. PennyRoyal10

PennyRoyal10 Well-Known Member

Lou Holtz...

12. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

lol I was wondering when Lou Holtz's name would be brought up lol....

13. JetsFanDoc

JetsFanDoc Well-Known Member

For me the beginning was Kotite (thats when i was old enough to really understand). But I would say the biggest disappointment has been Rex for me. When he came in here and took us to 2 AFC championship games I didn’t think it was possible for him to completely lose the team only two some-odd years later. But he did. That was a gutpunch to me. I really thought he was gonna do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

You have to separate his mediocre pre-injury arm strength from his post injury arm strength. The weren't remotely the same thing. He destroyed the Colts in the first round of the playoffs and had a terrific game coupled with a great running game. We went out to Oakland who had a bye that year. We were tied 10/10 at halftime and that's when the wheels fell off on both the run and pass game. We opened that season 1 and 4. Vinny was terrible. If Pennington had started the year before and was starting in TC that team may well have had a bye. It's a very big lift to go on the road against a team with a bye in the playoffs. We used up a lot of energy working our way back into the playoffs after a horrendous start. The 2001 team lost on the road to the Raiders with rifle armed Vinnie T. That team went 10 and 6 with Vinnie having a very pedestrian season.

Chad took us to the playoffs post surgery when he could hardly make throws outside the hashmarks down the field. Pre-injury his arm was good enough.

15. Unhappyjetsfan

Unhappyjetsfan Well-Known Member

For me, it's Rex. The guy had the most talented team in the league, except for the QB position, and decided to go down with the ship with Sanchez. I think Rex is the kind of coach who gets 90% of the job exactly right, but for whatever reason, he gets the other 10% exactly wrong and it takes him from being a Hall of Fame caliber coach to an average coach. And the bad 10% is so very correctable, too; I wouldn't be surprised if he spends five or six years ruminating on it and then re-enters the league and has a Dick Vermeil-like run.

16. FlaJet

FlaJet Well-Known Member

My favorite was Walton (piss and vinager)
    [​IMG]

17. 6-10 once again

6-10 once again Well-Known Member

Any jets coach who didn't win a super bowl is a dissapointment, they are all equal to me

18. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

Carroll was given a raw deal and never should have been fired.

Ralebird likes this.
  19. PJ4Ever

PJ4Ever Well-Known Member

When Edwards was a terrible Xs and Os guy. He was never even a coordinator. He seemed like a poor mans Tony Dungy. Good motivator of men, but what else did he bring to the table? They arguably underachieved the Pennington years.

20. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

No performance involved, but Beladouche was
    our biggest disappointment.