Does everyone agree that 1999 would have been OUR year?

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by BuddyRyans46, Oct 2, 2018.

1. BuddyRyans46

BuddyRyans46 Active Member

...if Vinny didn't go down with that popped Achilles in Week 1? The Jets were coming off of a hard loss to the Broncos in the AFC Championship Game out in Denver....Elway had retired, making the AFC race wide open...as I recall, the Jets were the chic preseason pick to represent the AFC in the Super Bowl...1999 was basically shaping up as a classic "Super Bowl or BUST" season for Gang Green...Parcells was still fully invested and seemed on the verge of breaking through that year...and then BAM! Vinny goes down in Week 1 and the rest is history.

So does every Jets fan agree that 1999 would have been Gang Green's year FOR SURE, if not for the injury to VInny? Or do some of you have doubts that even with a healthy Vinny, the Jets would have been able to get by pretty good teams in Jacksonville, and Tennessee in the AFC that year? Of course, even if the Jets made the Super Bowl that year, they would have had to face Kurt Warner and the Greatest Show on Turf. Then again, Belichick managed to defeat the Rams a few years later with the Patsies, so maybe the two Bills would have been able to defeat them in 1999.

boozer32 likes this.
  2. JetBlue

JetBlue Well-Known Member

Obviously as a fan going into the season I thought it would be, and with Vinny I think we could have gotten past the Jaguars and Titans who were the two best teams in the AFC, but I doubt we beat the Rams in the SB.

3. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

We'll never know. That's why they play the games.

They were red hot down the stretch that season with Ray Lucas at QB knocking off playoff team after playoff team but the two big blown leads in back-to-back weeks Oakland & Indianapolis I believe earlier in the season/1-6 start doomed that team.

I still say 2010 was the best shot the Jets have had since SB III that upset over NE should've catapulted that team to the SB add in a inferior opponent in the AFC championship game but the chokers came out "flat" for a championship game got down 24-0.

4. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

Vinny’s 1998 season was an aberration.

He was great that year, but never before or after. Especially in th TD to INT category.

PJ4Ever and Ralebird like this.
  5. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Aren't you a Bears fan? ;)

stinkyB likes this.
  6. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

1998 was the year.
    Team was stacked from a player and coaches standpoint.
    A very beatable Falcons teams awaited us in the Super Bowl, and we had that 10-0 lead on Denver at halftime in the AFCCG.

That's when the strangest shit started happening, cementing my belief this team has cursed luck.

Vinny getting hurt in 99 was also killer, as was Pennington going down in 03.
    Neither guy was ever really the same after that, and in Pennington's case more devastating injuries would follow.

The Dark Knight and ouchy like this.
  7. Cidusii

Cidusii Well-Known Member

I happened to watch the NFL Vault video on Tom Tupa last night. What a crazy turn of events in that first game. You've got to wonder whether leaving him in as QB in the 4th quarter would have won it for them.

8. ouchy

ouchy Well-Known Member

Sums up my feelings exactly.

9. Rollo Tomassi

Rollo Tomassi Well-Known Member

So I’m guessing that’s a no.

10. jixxjr

jixxjr Well-Known Member

As the game went on, the team started to get gassed (High Altitude etc.) and Denver, who was cheating on the salary cap at the time,
    were able to field fresher players that were better than the starters on many teams.

11. BuddyRyans46

yes I am, so you guys have to admit that my knowledge of NY Jets football is pretty impressive, no?! :)

12. The Dark Knight

The Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Hard to say, but the Jets were definitely a Super Bowl contender. Sucks Vinny went down. As @WarriorRB28 said: We will never know.

1998, 2009, and 2010 the Jets were 1 game away. 1999 looked like they had a good chance. I have been a fan since I can remember, which is about 1993. Out of that 25 years, I can never say I felt the Jets were the best team in the NFL. Hopefully that changes in the Darnold Era.

13. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

98 was the year. Elway was in sharp decline. He was awful in the Championship game against us. 99 The Rams were better than us on both sides of the ball and TN was a physically tough team. Eddie George was in his prime and a load.

98 was the perfect year for us. We stole the Seattle game which helped us get a first round bye. We cruised over Jacksonville in our home playoff game. We had the lead at halftime against Denver and Elway was playing terrible ball. Martin was abysmal. 13 carries for 14 yards and a fumble. Keith Byars put the ball on the turf inside the Denver 20. With all that suck we still went in at halftime with a 3 nothing lead. I believe we blocked a punt early in the third and scored on a short run for a 10 zip lead. From that point on Terrell Davis ran roughshod over our team and scored 20 straight points in the third quarter and we were shut out the entire 2nd half.

Martin was a great player but TD head to head in a big spot was simply miles better. The Byars fumble in the first half was a killer but Denver really didn't capitalize. Of course the flashlight, Wayne Chrebet, was the best player on the field for us in the big game.

There was no excuse that year. We got the breaks to get a bye. We went into Denver well rested and healthy. Elway was a shadow of himself. Hard to believe 99 would have been better.

JetBlue likes this.
  14. BuddyRyans46

^^^you know your Jets football, dude. I'll give you that!!

15. playtowinthegame

playtowinthegame Well-Known Member

He's Rex Ryan posting as a Bears fan.

stinkyB likes this.
  16. BuddyRyans46

Come on Schillinger, don't say that.

TwoHeadedMonster likes this.
  17. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

Yes, I think ‘99 would have been an amazing year had VT not been injured .00000001 seconds into the first game. The fact that we still managed an 8-8 record despite playing everyone we could find at QB from Rick Mirer, to Ray Lucas, to the hot dog vendor from the section behind the Jets bench says quite a bit about the talent this team still had. After all, Rick Mirer was an awful QB and Lucas was woefully limited. I still think that hot dog vendor was awesome..... or was that Tom Tupa? :p

Seriously though, no way a team with less talent never pulls within a win of a playoff spot like the Jets did. Shoot, if they could have squeezed into the playoffs I felt they’d have had a shot of making some real noise. Alas, it was not to be....

stinkyB likes this.
  18. Aewhistory

Aewhistory Well-Known Member

You’re right, it would have been hard for ‘99 to be a better team. However, if you recall, ‘98 began with Foley at QB. That team took a while to gel and was reaching its peak at the end of ‘98. I have always felt that they went into ‘99 in the same peak form, but without having the Foley experiment dragging down the start of the season. For me, that ‘99 team was talented, had gelled, and was hungry after letting a SB appearance slip through their fingers the season before. We will never know, of course, but a 13-3, 14-2 record was hardly out of the realm of possibility in ‘99 IMHO. And then it all seemed to come apart like a Testaverde Achilles.....

In fact, you could say that VT’s Achilles was our Achilles.

I’ll show myself out now....

19. WarriorRB28

WarriorRB28 Well-Known Member

I think another Jets team that coulda had a shot at winning it all was the 2015 team. Statistically that team has to be one of the best in franchise history O & D were ranked in the top 10 I believe. The O set some franchise records that year.

They were peaking at the right time.

I felt they matched up great against Denver or Carolina who they would've seen in the Super Bowl.

It would've been sooooooooo much fun to see how it played out in the playoffs.

:(

20. CBG

CBG Well-Known Member

ahhhh Thank You for another cheerful thread ! I remember it as if it were yesterday ( just as I remember the Mud Bowl but I stray ) Vinny went down the air was out of the stadium and the season was over,,,,oh joy