OUR Dillemma

Discussion in 'New York Jets' started by NYJetsO12, Sep 30, 2018.

1. GasedAndConfused

GasedAndConfused Well-Known Member

he was hired and asked for a win now team in 2015 along with bowles. They took over a 4-12 team that hadn't had a winning season in 4 years. somehow by the grace of the gods and with taking a bunch of chances on a journeyman QB and some older aging players they turned that 4 win team around to a 10 win team their 1st season which ties it for the 2nd best season the jets have had since 1998. Then in year 2 (2016) fitz went back to his old self and the reason why every team he's played for gave up on him. we were hit hard with injuries and the magic wore out. after that he was allowed to do a full rebuild which apparently took some convincing making the 2017 season a wash. we cut a bunch of ties to free up cap space and start over. Now we are in year 2 of a rebuild and not looking too bad. we are the 2nd youngest team in the NFL and a shit ton of cap room for next season. Mac went out and got us our FQB in the draft but he is a rookie. you can't expect much form a rookie QB years 1 and 2. We still have holes to address (o-line and pass rusher mostly) which can be addressed this off season going into year 3 of the rebuild. it took the rams 6 years to rebuild and they are in year 7 dominating right now. I know it's hard to be patient after waiting for 40+ years for a good team but it's even dumber to keep repeating the same cycle that causes the issue. Mac is going a great job at GM. period. we are easily 2 years ahead of where we should be. Bowles is iffy at best but hasn't had a lot to work with. No reason to fire mac, but bowles IMO gets 1 more year (2019) to make the playoffs then if not, mac needs to fire him and get a new HC and coaching staff but mac is the best GMs we've had in a long time and one of the better ones in the NFL currently

2. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

He's only a good GM if he got Dan Marino instead of Todd Blackledge or Tony Eason. He passed on both Watson and Mahomes last year. He took Darnold ahead of both Allen and Rosen. Your post is right only if SD turns into an elite QB. If he doesn't and both Allen and Rosen or one of them do, Mac is toast. Mac is all in on Sam Darnold. He has to be right about that.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  3. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

Just curious, by what standards is he one of the better ones in the league? We have yet to reach the playoffs during his tenure. I think he's done an ok job, but not enough to be indispensable.

FJF and ColoradoContrails like this.
  4. GasedAndConfused

that's fair enough for sure. but no GM had watson or mahomes as a top 6 picks either. Mahomes looks to be the real deal, but watson is struggling right now. we won't really have the answer to this for another 2 years or so , so how can you fire someone who your not sure on anyway? all his other 1st rounders have worked out well, and on top of that darnold was the defacto "top QB" in the draft which he was only able to land due to a smart trade before the draft. he deserves some credit for that

5. GasedAndConfused

Gms take years to rebuild a team. as I said les snead is probably one of the best GMs in the league if you look at how stacked the rams are now, and it took him 7 years to build that team up from garbage. imagine if they fired him in year 3 or 4? mac is on year 2 of a rebuild and year 4 overall

6. Biggs

Biggs Well-Known Member

Darnold being the top QB was very debatable and a huge argument among a lot of pro's. This was a 4 player draft and I think you could make an argument for all 4 of them. Obviously when we picked it was a 3 player draft at QB. What Mac did that I thought was brilliant was grabbing TB for peanuts. It wouldn't shock me if we regret that trade but you have to give Mac credit for getting him and turning him into a day 1 pick. I also think one of the reasons you have to give the coaching staff a break is I really believe we win the first 3 games with TB.

7. TwoHeadedMonster

TwoHeadedMonster Well-Known Member

Seems pretty simple:

If the Jets come back around and end up winning 8 games or more, then keep everybody--things are finally heading in the right direction. I think that's a plenty high bar considering where this team was last year and where they are today. Give Bowles and Mac a chance to run what they have been building--particularly with all the cap space coming their way to build on an improving young roster.

If the Jets win 5 games or fewer, it will be because Sam hasn't progressed, Bowles hasn't cleaned anything up, and Mac didn't provide either of them with a serviceable offensive line--Fire both Mac and Bowles.

The dilemma, to me, is if the Jets win 6 or 7 games. Then you have to judge Bowles based on well he maintained control of a bad team through a hard season, whether or not the team showed improvement as the season went on, and the extent to which his coaching decisions won or lost ballgames. You have to judge Mac almost exclusively on how Darnold progresses, with some weight on how his other draft choices and FA pickups have fared.

I predict we win 5 or fewer, the new GM/HC combo spends a gajillion bucks in the off season and the Jets win 11 games in 2019....and we'll all think they're geniuses. Then the cap space will run out, and we'll be right back in rebuild mode. This fanbase doesn't have the patience for a rebulid--and even if they did, the ownership isn't capable of hiring the right people to do it. Thus, Jets fans are doomed to repeat this cycle ad infinitum.

8. GasedAndConfused

i understand there was a split on who was the best QB between the top 4 but the majority had darnold as the top dog and being able to trade up to 3 and land that guy that most considered as the best is a great move anyway you look at it. if not for the trade we would have been looking at allen or rosen instead but he put us in a position to give us the most options we could get and the cards fell very nicely.

and then yeah you have the TB move which was great. he went after cousins, he went after bell, he went after fowler he brought in long and johnson this offseason. he's aggressive and not afraid of making moves to improve this team.

9. FJF

FJF 2018 MVP Joe Namath Award Winner

None of that excuse the fact that there are no impact players coming from his first two drafts and 3rd starting to look shaky too. Way too many missed for a guy who is supposed to turn this around.
    4 years in and who on this roster keeps any opposing coach up late at night?

ColoradoContrails likes this.
  10. GasedAndConfused

how do you see that? Lee, Adams, Williams, were his 1st 3 first rounders and all are big hits. Stop looking at stats and watch the games. without those 3 our defense is bottom tier, and also maye in the 2nd round. He also got our starting punter who has been good in the 7th round, our starting RT in the 5th, and our starting WR who has been good as an UDFA. not to mention he was aggressive to land us our potential FQB. sure he's had some misses, all GMs do but he hasn't missed with a first rounder which is huge. 50% of GMs each year will whiff on a 1st round pick he's 3 years no whiffs

11. CotcheryFan

CotcheryFan 2018 ROTY Poster Award Winner

But how many impact players has Macc acquired? Snead has drafted Gurley and Donald over the last 5 years.

NYJetsO12 and HomeoftheJets like this.
  12. FJF

He’s all in on darnold but nothing he has done prior lifts up a franchise. And he is and should be very much in the hot seat. No 1st round whiffs but no franchise changing players either. That’s what it is going to take to change the direction of this team .

13. papapump

papapump Well-Known Member

How about Mark Cuban as an owner?

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  14. GasedAndConfused

that's in the eyes of the fans which many just look at stats. to me anderson, adams, williams, and lee are impact players but many fans are down on all 4 of them.

15. FJF

No ones worrying about any of them ruining a game plan

16. GasedAndConfused

if that's what you want to think. if you watched the games the offense was keyed in on adams every play and williams is getting doubled and tripled every play. robbie attarcts safety help over the top almost every play and lee is not in that category but the attention the others get have allowed him to make plays for us and he's coming through

17. 94Abraham

94Abraham Well-Known Member

Lee has been shaky first 2 years and this year had the one big game but that was it. Williams isn’t anything more than a run stuffer and above average player at best. Adams looks to be a player though. For Mac to keep his job, he needs some of his pics to turn into all pros and big impact players. I can’t think of a single player on this team that is a top 5 player at their position. We need some elite talent here.

NYJetsO12 and ColoradoContrails like this.
  18. BacktoQueens

BacktoQueens Well-Known Member

I think (or at least hope) that Darnold will be that franchise changing player.
    Mac handled the QB position excellently these last 2 years imo, and that's priority #1 for a GM.

I'd like to see Williams and Adams take another step, but they are impact players also.

I've really liked the under the radar back end roster trades also.
    Getting guys like Henry Anderson, Kearse, D Davis, Shell, Brooks..
    It's moves like those, along with UDFA signings, waiver claims, etc, that encourage me the most.
    I can't remember a previous GM finding as much value in those types of roster moves.

He's got a find better players in rounds 2-4 in the draft tho no doubt.
    Those rounds are too important to keep missing on.

But at end of day, his legacy will hinge on Darnold more than anything else..

CotcheryFan likes this.
  19. Section 336

Section 336 Well-Known Member

There is zero evidence right now that indicates Mac will be a good GM let alone a great GM.

NYJetsO12 likes this.
  20. twown

twown Well-Known Member

And let the fan base call the offensive plays!

This is automatic Super Bowl. Just think how many guys on this forum rip the play-calling of every Jets OC who comes along. Surely one of us is the best play-caller ever!

NYJetsO12 and Acad23 like this.